“Long overdue rating for this wonderful property” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Harmony Ridge Lodge

Harmony Ridge Lodge
Ranked #5 of 7 Nevada City B&B and Inns
Los Angeles, California
“Long overdue rating for this wonderful property”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 10, 2013

My daughter got married at the Empire Mine State Park in Grass Valley. We rented all the rooms for some of our families and friends. Everybody just loved it and raved about the breakfast, the beautiful decorated and generous sized rooms, the setting and the Inn keepers. The setting is just beautiful.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
8 Thank mcegap

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 3, 2012

Really beautiful and peaceful setting, tucked back into forest of the Sierra Nevada foothills. Amazing grounds, including a great landscaped area and a large fenced in walking area as well. Centrally located to many things: only 5 minutes or so from downtown Nevada City, 45 minutes up the hill to the mountains, etc.

Staff were very friendly and helpful, and the morning breakfast was excellent. 5 Mile House restaurant next door (walking distance) was very good for dinner as well.

Very dog friendly which is always a huge plus.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
5 Thank Bonk00
Boston, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2012

We were looking for a venue for my daughter's wedding that would answer her wishes for an informal, woodsy and natural background that was dog-friendly and my wishes for a 4-5 star comfortable gathering place for our guests aged18 months-80. Located literally on the edge of the Tahoe National Forest and equidistant,1.5 hours, from either Reno or Sacramento airports,Harmony Ridge Lodge answered all of our wishes and more. From the moment we arrived we all felt at home. Debbie and Jackie, who manage the facility, were there to answer any and all needs from an ironing board brought to your room to printing out boarding cards for flights. They were genuinely interested in helping to create the experience we wanted both while we were there for the weekend and in the planning stages. They also recommended the photographer, D.J. and caterer all of whom contributed to a memorably enjoyable day.
The owners have decorated the inside, including the guest rooms, with lovely artistic touches that somehow create a serene ambiance, while the grounds are beautifully landscaped with colorful gardens, orchards of peaches and apples and grassy areas with benches placed in strategic areas offering conversation or meditative areas.
As others have said the rooms are incredible and, as far as we could tell, sound-proof. All of them are spacious with comfortable furnishings in addition to beds and some are dog-friendly (throw a blanket over the hand-made quilts!).
I can't end this without mentioning the breakfasts which are delicious but more importantly make you feel as though you are being hosted in your best friend's home. Relax, chat, enjoy but by all means GO.

Room Tip: There is a handicapped accessible room which includes an ADA bathroom.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank Beverley B
Denver, Colorado, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2012

I recently stayed at Harmony Ridge for 2 nights for a wedding. The location was beautiful, right on the edge of the National Park. It was a quick (1.5 hours) and easy drive from Sacramento. The rooms were amazing - very comfortable beds, beautiful decor and spacious. I loved that my room had a window seat overlooking the forest, and each room came with a private patio. Breakfast, coffee and tea were provided, and there was an adequate variety of food, plus the home cooked dishes were excellent. The main lodge itself is beautiful and filled with some gorgeous pieces of art, many of which I overheard were made locally.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
3 Thank Tara B
Park City, Utah
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2012

Relaxing environment, large tastefully decorated and comfortable room, healthy and delicious breakfasts, friendly staff. Harmony Ridge Lodge is everything I hoped for! This will be my go-to destination whenever I am in the area!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank sedona9999
Susanville, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2011

The first trip in June 2011 was wonderfully stress-free especially traveling with our "kids". There are so many places that are not dog friendly or don't offer grounds to run off-leash for good leg stretching exercise! We stayed in #5 and the room was comfortable for us humans and spacious for our four-legged. A lake right around the corner made the trip perfect so we had to come back in August and stay a little longer. Again we had a very nice stay at HRL. Will definitely recommend to our friends!!! Thanks so much to Jackie, Tracy, Deb and the kids: Levi, Kilo, Totty & Skippy who made both trips worthwhile!!

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
3 Thank MiaRode
Arlington, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 3, 2011

I have participated in numerous retreats over the years, but this year, I was fortunate enough to participate in a retreat that took place over three different weekends (in March, May and July) at the Lodge. This place is beyond beautiful…the huge Pine trees that surround the buildings, and the delightful gardens you are free to spend time in, not just for show! Then there are the luxurious and spacious rooms, so fresh and clean, with amazing attention to detail and appointed with such style and class! Each room seems to be a unique creation, with their own personality and much nicer than many of the finest hotels I have stayed at throughout the world. Not at all, what I expected for a mountain lodge! It is as if you are staying at an Artists’ home and in a sense, you are! The owners and staff treat Harmony Ridge Lodge as a creation of love, clearly putting their loving energy in everything they do, from the plush beds and pillows that you just sink into (I’ve never slept so comfortably), to the beautiful artwork that is everywhere, to the gardens and the lovely homemade breakfasts! The staff is also delightful to talk to, treating you more like an honored guest in their home.

It has been such a pleasure to see how the gardens change with the changing seasons…in March, we still had the remains of a late snow storm in the surrounding woods, but the paths were clear and there were many places to sit and just soak in the scenery. In May, the huge variety of birds were in full swing and the flowers were just starting to peak out. The explosion of color was everywhere in July! I cannot tell you which time was my favorite because each had its own individual charm, just like the rooms! One thing that never changed was the extraordinary peace that surrounds the lodge, I just cannot say enough about how lovely my experiences were and how perfect it was to have our retreats here. I noticed that everyone at the retreat seemed to enjoy being able to find a private spot for personal reflection and be able to sit with others on the deck or dining room (we also catered lunch and dinner in so that we did not have to interrupt the space of the retreat). To me, the experiences of the retreats were greatly enhanced by the peace-filled surroundings and the loving, attentive support of the staff. We were SO, taken care of! Every time I arrived, I noticed I could not wait to be there and could not wait to see the staff, as if; they were part of my family. They now are! So often, facilities are about making money and that is fine, but, the Harmony Ridge Lodge is about creating experiences…this I think is what makes the difference between it and other retreat facilities…it is definitely an uplifting experience well beyond others! I will be back to further take in this nourishing space, maybe a family retreat is next, maybe just time with friends! Whatever reason I stay at Harmony Ridge Lodge, I know it will be hard to leave!

Room Tip: Look at the website pictures when selecting a room, they're even better!
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled on business
Deer Creek Inn
Deer Creek Inn
#1 of 7 in Nevada City
5.0 of 5 stars 295 reviews

Been to Harmony Ridge Lodge? Share your experiences!