“I always stay at Outside Inn when in Nevada City”
Review of Outside Inn

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Nevada City
Outside Inn
Ranked #1 of 5 Hotels in Nevada City
Reviewed September 4, 2012

Wonderful place. I remember staying there with my grandmother when I was a kid visiting relatives in town in the 60's. It isn't a 4 star hotel, so you can't expect that level. But it is clean, well maintained, has all of the basics that I need, and a good value. The mini fridge is handy (loved the pitcher of ice water!) and the coffee station well stocked. This time I stayed in room 3-1/2, which was perfect for a short stay. The only suggestion would be to soak the shower head in a little vinegar. It needs a bit of a power boost for better spray. Otherwise, everything was great. The staff was very helpful with my few questions on "where can I find XX in town". Will definitely stay there again when I'm back in Nevada City.

Room Tip: Room 3-1/2 has two twins. Not a big room but is great for a single person for a few days. Or would b...
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled solo
3  Thank j m

Reviewed September 3, 2012

We loved the Outside Inn. The location was perfect, within walking distance of Nevada City. The hosts were very friendly and knowledable of the area. The rooms were very nice, they have theme rooms which are fun,clean and very nice. The pool and grounds are beautiful. We arrived very early before check in but they let us use the pool and outside shower. In addition to this great place, Nevada City is a great place to visit. Can't wait to go back.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank BostonTogether
Reviewed August 27, 2012

We stayed at the Outside Inn for two nights during our exploration of the nearby South Yuba river swimming holes and Nevada City bookstores. I have no understanding of why others give this hotel mediocre or low reviews; if you enjoy unexpected motivic details, thoughtful amenities, wonderful people, beautiful landscaping and huge pool, gifts of fruit and vegetables left by neighbors for guests, outdoor showers(!), and the great care that the owner takes to make her guests feel cared for, informed, and in completely charming and pleasurable surroundings, then you'll appreciate this hotel as much as we did. I can't even remember the other hotels; they resembled each other too closely, and there was no sense of being "cared for." I'll remember this one, and will come back to it with pleasure!

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank Patty D
Reviewed August 17, 2012

This a lovely quirky motel with a distinct and individual personality. Each room is distinctly decorated. We stayed in the Tour of Nevada City room which had a lovely queen bed covered in a gorgeous quilt. There was a little kitchenette with some cutlery and plates/bowls, and a microwave. There was a small portable electric ring in one of the cupboards. The coffee they provided was delicious - the best filter sachets/packets I've ever got in a motel. There is also a great tea selection. It really made 2 mugs of good coffee - and there were two of them. There was also a table for eating at. The bathroom was fine if small. The bedroom had a desk for computer and other use but no plug by it. There were seats outside both the front and the back doors - the latter by a little stream. The office staff were tremendously helpful printing us up materials on walks and they had menus of every restaurant in a restaurant filled town. There is a patio to sit at near the office and a nice little garden in the middle. Perhaps the best thing of all is the motel is only a 10 minute walk from town and a lovely walk too past houses I would like to live in. Yes this is a superb moderately priced accommodation. I have only two criticisms: the swimming pool was very cold even on a day over 100 degrees F and there was no guest laundry.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 15, 2012

We stayed here in April and were thrilled with the Celestial Room- everything in the room was a nifty little surprise; lovely decor there's a starry-sky ceiling), excellent coffee/tea selection, even the cute view out the bathroom window of a NC Victorian. I'm from Nevada City and the Outside Inn was a wonderful way to see my hometown. Lovely walk to town. The staff are THE BEST! Everyone there was so nice & helpful- suggestions for activities (we toured the Empire Mine), places to eat (amazing meals at Ike's & South Pine Cafe) were all great, and rooms were very clean. We also got a free bumper sticker, and bought two sweet Outside Inn mugs. The landscaping here is beautiful. This is a real community-minded inn- you can stay "local" without high prices. Highly recommended!

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank Hilary W
Reviewed August 5, 2012

Four friends stayed here for two nights and it was a lovely stay. The owner is very pleasant and engaging. The property is old but is very well maintained with some fun lawn art. Parking is tight but adequate and the sitting areas are quite comfortable. It's a short walk into the commercial area through an area of historic homes. There was an air conditioner in the room but we never needed to use it even though it was quite warm during the day.

I would return and recommend it to friends.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank Kathleen W
Reviewed July 22, 2012

This is an old motel from around the 1940s or so that has been remodeled a couple of times. Each room is different. Most of our friends thought it was really great, but we didn't. We were in the Switzerland suite (#5). Suites are supposed to have queen size beds, but ours was a double and that was difficult for us, as we are used to a king-size bed. It was decorated in a bicycling theme and the decor was refreshing. I wish we had reserved a room or suite with a king size bed.

The bathroom has a small shower (no tub), washbowl and toilet.

The living room has a couch, coffee table, chair and TV.

The air conditioner was in the living room, so that would be really cold and the bedroom too warm.

The kitchen has a small refrigerator that reminds me of the one my parents had in the 1940s, a gas stove, sink and dishes.

There was an envelope on the table requesting housekeeping tips. Frankly, I didn't think the housekeeping was that good. The floors were not swept every day and I don't think the toilet and shower were cleaned at all. If we had any dirty dishes, they did wash them.

Room Tip: Check carefully on the website for bed size, etc.
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled with friends
#3 of 10 in Grass Valley
Nevada City Inn
Nevada City Inn
#3 of 5 in Nevada City

Been to Outside Inn? Share your experiences!