“Great B&B service was great, so was the rooms”
Review of Emma Nevada House

Emma Nevada House
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Nevada City
Emma Nevada House
Ranked #3 of 6 Nevada City B&B and Inns
Sacramento, California
“Great B&B service was great, so was the rooms”
Reviewed September 3, 2013

Great location! Walk to downtown. Rooms were beautiful, so was the rest of the house. All rooms were unique and great decor. Breakfast was awesome. Very much recommend a stay here! Easy parking. Both Host's were very friendly. They recommended places to eat and visit. Where they suggested to eat was excellent food. Would stay here again

• Stayed August 2013

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (44)
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed August 20, 2013

Given the name, I thought Emma ran the B&B! But no, it's Catherine and Jim that operate this wonderfully cozy, Victorian style B&B right in the heart of Nevada City.

There are two reasons why you will adore this place: (1) you literally feel like you've come to someone's home and will feel immediately at place; (2) Catherine & Jim put all their heart and soul in to making sure you're having a wonderful time.

Oh ... the breakfasts are to die for! Every morning a gourmet delicacy. From various soufflés, to pancakes or simply scrambled eggs, sitting on the back patio while eating a hearty breakfast is a great way to start the day.

The B&B has 6 bedrooms, three on the top floor (loft style) and three on the ground floor. My preference is definitely the ground floor where the rooms are bigger. We had the Empress' Chamber, which I think is the biggest room.

Just make sure you arrive by car ... for other than the small historical centre in Nevada City, which is within walking distance of Emma, all the other beautiful sites are a car drive away.

Now go ahead and book it ...

Room Tip: I would take the rooms on the ground floor, which are more spacious. Empress' Chamber or Mignon...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Thousand Oaks, California
Reviewed July 28, 2013

We've just returned from 5 magical days in Nevada City that began when we stepped inside the Emma Nevada House & were warmly greeted (despite the late hour) by our hostess Katherine. She and husband Jim graciously provide the comforts and coziness of home plus attentive service in an elegantly restored Victorian. Each morning we followed the aroma of Sumatra coffee, slab bacon, homemade scones and other delights to the enchanting deck where delicious, beautifully presented breakfasts were accompanied by delightful conversations. Perfection!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
Ovilla, Tx
Reviewed July 20, 2013

My wife Traci, my 4 year old daughter Abigail and I recently stayed at the Emma Nevada House during our California vacation. It was like stepping into a dream full of color, warmth and beauty. First and foremost the atmosphere of the home is warm and inviting. Not only is the home full of charm, it is arranged in such a way as to create a space to make life to happen. For example, we stayed in the upstairs room called "Emma's Hideaway." Here the main room--charming in and of itself--is connected with a cozy hallway that leads to another small room with two single beds and a window that opens up to the beautiful outdoors. Our little girl Abigail was overjoyed with this unique space, as she not only had her own room to sleep in, the hallway doubled as a playroom with games and toys and two large teddy bears which she adored. She did not want to hardly leave the room to eat dinner that night she was having so much fun! It was my delight to see her captivated by the unique arrangement and we had lots of fun playing "tea party" with the large teddy bears as our guest. But besides the structure of the home itself, with its colors, contours and antiques giving off a radiant glow, the real beauty of the home are the innkeepers Jim and Katherine. Yes, they were helpful without being overbearing, they have a passionate love for Nevada City and can offer recommendations and so on. But there is much more that lies within their hearts--they genuinely love and care for the people who are their guest! And for me and my family, this is the quality that shined through during out stay and which made it so "dreamy." The few moments that we had to share our lives with one another is what my wife and I have found ourselves remembering most, even though the house was wonderful too. For anyone looking for more than just another typical B&B experience I highly recommend staying here. At least for my family, there was much more to our stay than meets the natural eye, which made our experience very memorable. --Geoff

Room Tip: If you have a young child, Emma's Hideaway is a great room to choose.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Venice
Reviewed July 17, 2013

My wife and I had a 2 night reservation at The Emma Nevada House. I had done a lot of online investigating of the various hotels and B & B's and chose the Emma Nevada House, we were not disappointed . It was the best B & B that we have ever stayed at. They provided off street parking in the rear of the property which made it so convenient . We chose the Nightingale Bower room, which had a fireplace, jacuzzi tub, antique furniture, luxury linens, and wonderful bay windows. There was whenever we wanted it, coffee, iced tea and wonderful homemade cookies that were so yummy. The location was wonderful as we were within walking distance of downtown. They served a 3 course gourmet breakfast each morning that was to die for, my wife even told me, " don't get used to this ". The breakfast was served on the backyard deck, which over looked the yard, which was surrounded by trees and lush vegetation, it was perfect.
We could not of asked for better hosts in Jim and Katherine, they were unbelievable. They helped us with suggestions of where to eat and made dinner reservations for each night that we were there. We also needed some driving directions, so Jim without asking, printed up the information on map quest for us. We cannot say enough about what wonderful hosts they were. We hope to go back and stay at The Emma Nevada House and look forward to seeing Jim and Katherine again.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank linniecanal
Seattle
Reviewed July 1, 2013

This was an absolutely wonderful place to stay. The room so lovely, location a quick walk to town to great restaurants, and Jim and Katherine thoughtful and attentive hosts. We will definitely return.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Jean D
Woodside, California
Reviewed June 30, 2013 via mobile

Rolled in with my boyfriend and another couple for a wedding and decided to make a long weekend out of it. I wasn't told the name of the place we were staying ahead of time, so had no preconceived notions. I was accordingly blown away.

Where to start?

ROOMS
There are seven rooms in the house, all well-appointed and clean and ranging from quaint to stunning. I was nosy and poked my head in a few while they were getting cleaned. Some (Maid's Quarters) are a bit smaller than others (Empress Room), but each has its own charm. As far as I could tell, they all had their own bathroom and closet (very important).

Palmer's Loft was medium-sized and perfect for the two of us. There was air conditioning for the hot days and warm bedding for the cooler nights. A TV faced the bed, although we were mostly too busy napping to watch. Towels, bedding, furniture etc. were all very clean and in great condition.

HOUSE AND LOCATION
The house is a beautiful Victorian, renovated in 1991 for all the modern luxuries. It has some wonderful history - be sure to ask Jim or Katherine about it if you're interested (more on them later). At their recommendation, we walked the few minutes into the heart of town. I think some of us were a bit skeptical, coming from the Big City, but the town was incredibly charming and had fantastic food and drink options. We enjoyed some late-night ice cream and a wine tasting and, also at Jim and Katherine's recommendation, brought a bottle back to enjoy on the deck.

Breakfast: I know I'm not the first reviewer to mention it, but breakfast was phenomenal. We sat on the deck with tea and coffee; promptly at nine, our gracious hosts brought out the goodies. An incomplete list of what we consumed during our stay: blueberry pancakes, yogurt with fresh fruit and granola, egg and cheese soufflé, bacon, bacon, bacon. All homemade with love - the soufflé was served in heart-shaped dishes.

I'm also gluten-free (I know. I'm that girl), which was absolutely no problem. They were incredibly accommodating, even busting out some homemade coffee cake my wheat-hating stomach could enjoy. Jim and Katherine were working some serious magic in that kitchen. Speaking of which...

JIM AND KATHERINE (AND KYLE)
I think there is a difference between being a good innkeeper and a good host. Jim and Katherine went truly above and beyond during our stay, making reservations for us, helping with directions, and of course that monstrous breakfast. The day of the wedding, my boyfriend went in search of an iron for his shirt - not ten minutes later, Katherine had ironed it and even removed a stain he had given up on. Katherine's son Kyle comes in to help over the summer. He was super-friendly (we watch all the same nerdy tv shows!) and even drove us the half hour out to the wedding - and picked us up at midnight.

One incident that might be meaningless to most but really stood out to me: after getting ready for the wedding, we convened in the common area to polish off a bottle of wine before we had to leave (if it seems like we drank a lot, that's because we did). Katherine noticed I had no earrings and offered to let me borrow a pair of hers - the ones she wore at her wedding. Horrified of losing them, as I lose pretty much everything important, I had to turn her down. But the gesture was truly touching and, I think, indicated that she and her husband are far more than just businesspeople.

I did read a couple of the negative reviews, and am delighted to contradict them. Upset about the $1 for a bottle of water? Grab a cup and fill it from the tap. Bottled water is bad for the environment anyways. Distressed about noise? Okay, maybe it's not the sterile silence of the Embassy Suites but it's really nothing to complain about. The house is full of history and maybe the stairs creak. Could be worse. Anything less than glowing praise for the proprietors is unfounded to me. Jim and Katherine have only been doing this since April, so I'm sure they're still learning a few things, but we truly couldn't have asked for more.

We arrived expecting a quiet weekend in a sleepy town. Instead we enjoyed great wine, wonderful company, and of course the fabulous Saturday farmer's market. Bottom line: I cannot recommend the Emma Nevada House highly enough.

• Stayed June 2013
#3 of 5 in Nevada City
Deer Creek Inn
Deer Creek Inn
#1 of 6 in Nevada City

Been to Emma Nevada House? Share your experiences!