“Hoped for greatness, was sadly disappointed”
Review of New Moon Cafe

New Moon Cafe
Ranked #3 of 58 Restaurants in Nevada City
Cuisines: American
Good for: Romantic, Special occasions, Local cuisine
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed July 11, 2013

I'm a chef, so granted, I'm a bit picky but this was my experience there: Place was pretty empty, still took the waiter forever to seat me and bring me water, even though I had reservations. Since I'm also a chef I like to try lots of things so I started with one of their "famous" ravioli, butternut squash and I think ricotta if I remember correctly....the actual ravioli itself was the one of only two highpoints of the entire meal, the rest was rubbish. Unfortunately, they smothered that otherwise delicious ravioli with the most disgusting red wine and onion reduction, it ruined the entire dish, it was acidic and tasted like wine vinegar and completely killed any goodness coming from the ravioli. I then had an appetizer that was very mediocre, can't remember what it was, it was pretty forgettable. Next came my salad that was a joke, honestly looked like they took lettuce mix out of a bag and threw it on a plate, way underdressed and underseasoned and I appreciate the less is more motto but this was not it. Next was my main course, I had shrimp with polenta, and while it was pretty tasty, the shrimp were grossly overcooked, i mentioned it and the waiter basically told me that no, it wasn't which is unexcusable. All in all I spent about $85 or $90 on dinner and a couple glasses of wine and was highly disappointed. the food is WAY too expensive for what you are getting. I just ate at Fia's in Alta Sierra last night, it's everything New Moon strives to be at a fraction of the cost. It's small and nondescript but the food is just as local, organic, and farm to table but 10 times better and much much cheaper. Trust me

3  Thank chefSSS25

Reviewed July 9, 2013

The dishes were very unique and extremely delicious. We've eaten there before and looked forward to eating there this time. We were NOT disappointed. Super service and a great meal.

1  Thank David S
Reviewed July 7, 2013

Visiting our daughter for her 35th birthday, we had reservations to this sweet spot. They had sturgeon on their menu and I have never had the joy of tasting this marvelous fish. Apparently they cannot put it on their menu because they never know exactly when it will be available. But I lucked out and it was quite possibly the best fish I have ever had! The chef visited our table and I had a chance to tell him in person. The next day I saw him outside the restaurant and told him that there was only one problem with the sturgeon. He responded with surprise and then I told him that the problem is that I live near Los Angeles!!! We were in Nevada City for our 47th wedding anniversary and I called ahead to request sturgeon. They could not purchase it for me, but we had a wonderful dinner starting with champagne cocktails. Our server was very knowledgeable, helpful and friendly. We had a great dinner with her guidance. I think I need to get on a "sturgeon alert" list, just in case we can be in town at the right time! If you are ever in Nevada City, check out this incredibly fine restaurant. You will be pleased. (Maybe I should not tell you how good this is? Selfish, right?)

2  Thank Susie B
Reviewed July 1, 2013

Very good food at reasonable prices - I found the quality and creativity of the menu comparable to the offerings typically found in larger cities. The service was good and the setting was pleasant.

1  Thank Jon C
Reviewed July 1, 2013

Wonderful fresh food that was not overly complicated, a good selection of wines, and the staff were great.Lovely setting as well.

1  Thank Jean D