“Opportunity lost so far” 2 of 5 bubbles
Review of The Old 5 Mile House - CLOSED

The Old 5 Mile House
Cuisines: American, International
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Full Bar, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Sierra Foothills, CA
“Opportunity lost so far”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 30, 2012

Gotta agree with prior sentiment about the Old 5 Mile House. A great location and setting up highway 20. This place has such potential, and much of the food tastes very good. Not expecting white table cloth treatment, but at these prices, I do expect more professionalism. A lack of organization, lack of training, lack of consistency, and an overall way-too-casual approach to many customers really bothers me. We eat out very often in this area, and would love to patronize the Old 5 Mile House much more (such as monthly), but they need to take a giant leap up in their standards for their staff. The concept is great with international cuisines each month. Needs a more polished approach to dining.

• Visited August 2012
2 Thank Nevis15

Penn Valley, California
“A real disappointment”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 17, 2012

We went for breakfast last week. The food was very good, but expensive and the service SLOW. Took an half hour to get breakfast and we were the only ones there. The waitress was a delight and my husband loved the PEETS coffee. Then we went for Irish night. No menus for beers, huh? My husband and I both thought our beers were watered down, all three of us had Guinness. Then the meals, all were way over priced. My little lamb chops were good but the onion rings salty, eggplant side was barely warm and the fries way too hot and spicy. the other dishes, were with skirt steak, very small portion. Get this, they put a slice of bread, very good rosemary bread, sliced into 4 pieces, 2 pats of butter in a basket, for 3 people. Had to ask for more, same amt. Each meal per person came to over $33.00. Very unhappy, plus the waitress, in the beginning, had an attitude. Oh, and the service was SLOW again.

Visited August 2012
1 Thank Bennett H
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“I keep hoping for better service...”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 7, 2012

I think this restaurant has big time potential but so far is just so hit and miss for us. We have gone several times for the music that is there, have been seated both inside and outside for these. I would say the majority of the time we have gone during these venues, the service was beyond horrible. It usually seems to be terribly disorganized and understaffed for the night. One night we literally sat right in the middle of the bar area at a table for 2 hours and did not have ONE single server ask if we wanted anything. My boyfriend finally went to the bar to get himself a drink, We were going to order dinner, dessert, and would have had more to drink, but couldn't get anyone to notice us sitting there! We stayed to enjoy the music but left very disappointed in service. Last time we were there for an outside band with a big group of friends, they had one waitress working the entire patio area. We did get dinner, but with parts missing and forgotten, same for drink orders.
We have gone when there is no live music, just for dinner and things have been good. Food is good , ambiance is outstanding. The owner seems very nice and I would love to see this place succeed, but they need a serious overhaul on how to organize service there.

• Visited June 2012
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
Grass Valley, California
“Good food but lacking good organization”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 30, 2012

My wife and I went for one of the monthly theme specials on a Friday night, paella and Flamenco music and dance. We had reservations for 6 pm for paella (required) and music on the patio. We arrived promptly at 6 pm and were told we would have a substantial wait, strike one. The restaurant was becoming crowded at that point and other parties were seated, mostly inside, while we waited at the bar with a cocktail. At 6:30 pm our table was ready. Normally this would not have ruffled our feathers but since we had been told that paella was a collective serving and was served at 6 pm , this meant we were going to be served late. When we sat down and the waitress came to take our order, we were asked whether we had reserved the paella as it was sold out. Yes, we had. It was served within minutes! No wine list, no bread basket (it was sold out but in the oven and would come soon). Strike two. So we started on our paella and waited for the wine to be served. Great Chilean wine but it would have been nice if an ice bucket had been offered since the outside temperature was warm. Never mind, we were thirsty and the water server was excellent. Now the bread came and it was delicious, hot from the oven, so remove that second strike please. The paella was very good though both of us had one mussel that was unopened and should not have been served. Otherwise a very nice dish and would be recommended especially if you get served right when it is ready. I know this is an authentic Spanish dish with imported components, saffron and Spanish chorizo, but I think they could have planned for more servings and not been so tight with their planning for their signature dish of the month. The music and dance were great and that put the evening into the plus category, erasing all but one star for the general poor organization given that the meal was expensive and a 5-star dining experience was expected. I would still give this restaurant another try during another theme night and overall it is quite a nice evening.

• Visited June 2012
Davis, California
“Good Food and Atmosphere: Value Needs Improvement”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 28, 2012

We recently enjoyed an early, Saturday dinner at The Old 5 Mile House. Although The Old 5 Mile Road House thematically travels the world, showcasing a different country in its specials each month--a fun idea bound to engender repeat business--on this visit we stayed closer to home by ordering its Rueben Rolls, Calamari Fritti, Caesar Salad with Skirt Steak and Three Cheese Lasagna. We order calamari almost everywhere we go and this interpretation, with lemon basil aioli was fantastic. We also raved about the Reuben Rolls, a cross between a Reuben sandwich and an egg roll. My Three Cheese Lasagna was very light on cheese and used an unremarkable sauce. I'd describe it more as a healthy, vegetarian lasagna. My husband's salad was served on flatbread. Both dishes were pretty good, but not great.

The problem for us is that The Old 5 Mile House places itself at a "great food" price point. So, adding some steak slices to my husband's Ceaser salad brought it up to $18. Really? If I'm paying $17 for Three Cheese Lasagna, I expect it to be ooey gooey with delicious cheese. It was not.

The Old 5 Mile House's casual, friendly atmosphere and overall food quality is good enough that we may give it another try on our next visit to Nevada City, but with the hope that its consistency improves and it narrows the gap between the prices it charges and what it offers.

• Visited May 2012