“Great Historic Visit”

Malakoff Diggins State Historic Park
Reviewed July 29, 2013

Fun to visit Malakoff Diggins...and learn a little more about the history of hydraulic gold mining in California.......as devastating to the earth as you may find that!! I think this park was on the list to close with CA budget woes, and volunteers agreed to keep it open.

2  Thank Mary12191
There are newer reviews for Malakoff Diggins State Historic Park

Reviewed July 29, 2013

Excellent place to get a feel for California hard rock mining. There are walking and horse trails (bring your own horse). Gold and machinery displays are interesting but my favorite is the model of the mine tunnels under the surrounding Grass Valley area. You never know what is below!

3  Thank Suz537
Reviewed June 28, 2013

This site includes the historic old mining town of North Bloomfield and the huge pit left by hydraulic gold mining. In the pit native vegetation has now grown up through the once -exposed areas. There are numerous hiking trails through the pit. I most enjoyed walking around the town, visiting the church and cemetery, the old school, the old houses, the saloon, the barber shop, blacksmith shop, etc. Unfortunately, the museum was not open the day I was there but a helpful local resident gave me a lot of information about what to do and see. I picked up the park brochure and map at the museum and was able to make my way around the park without any trouble. There are several overlooks that I drove to which gave a panoramic view of the pit. It was amazing. And, the wildflowers were wonderful! This was four hours well spent!

1  Thank Jan W
Reviewed June 9, 2013

Our view may be affected by the fact that the park did not live up to the descriptions in the guide books, including how to find the park, but we were very disappointed. We got a quick view of the rock areas that had been destroyed by hydraulic gold mining, but we missed the museum because it wasn't marked very well and we were looking for the entrance to the park. We ended up on an unlaced road that seemed to be narrowing, so we turned back. The fault might be ours, but the long, confusing drive did not seem worth it.

1  Thank jj435Rye
Reviewed May 6, 2013

The Malakoff "diggins" is one of the most fascinating sites and sights in Gold Country. It is a convoluted testament to man's greed, ingenuity and resourcefulness, all in one fell swoop.

Not a site you want to miss on a trip down the 49er Highway.

1  Thank scottca075