“Worst Hotel in the West”
Review of National Hotel

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Nevada City
National Hotel
Ranked #5 of 5 Hotels in Nevada City
Oregon
“Worst Hotel in the West”
Reviewed March 27, 2008

Dirty, peeling wallpaper and ceilings, mildew in the shower and on the toilet, carpet coming up throughout the hotel. Buckets and cleaning supplies stored in hallways, furniture falling apart and mattresses that would serve better in a medieval torture chamber. I should have believed the other reviews but I decided to brave it. I was wrong. With a great history, this hotel could be a wonderful place, instead it is where hope goes to die. I would never stay here again.

Stayed March 2008
2 Thank pastor22

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (24)
Left coast USA
Reviewed December 5, 2007

We stayed at the National Hotel as part of a conference. It's the only hotel in the center area of Nevada City that could accomodate the group. I doubt if any of the group would come here again on their own. The good: location; free parking; Wi-fi; good restaurant food; pleasant staff. The bad: very dirty and worn carpets; walls stained with water; toilet seat athat appears to be left over from Reconstruction Days; bathroom sink leaked constantly; bedspread badly stained; bath towels the size of dishtowels; TV left over from Ed Sullivan days; no elevator; not handicap-friendly; beds that are best described as hammocks; no bedside lamps; noisy and erratic steam radiators. Quite honestly, this hotel needs a major, major investment to make it respectable. It's not going to happen.

• Liked — Location right in center of charming and historical Gold Rush town
  • Disliked — Old, lack of maintenance and upkeep
  • Stayed December 2007
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2 Thank Tex805

Travelers are raving about these Nevada City hotels

msmam817
Reviewed October 9, 2007

my husband and I got married a year ago in Nevady city. We had a tradiational wedding at the Historic Trinity Church then we had a horse drawn carriage tride o the National Hotel for our reception. It was a perfect cinderella wedding.
Our reception was ideal. great food and great music with the Ghost Riders as our band. That night we stayed at the National Hotel and it was classic. historic, and perfect. It was a night to remember.
LOVED IT and LOVED working with the National Hotel

Stayed October 2006
1 Thank msmam817
Goldrush County, California
Reviewed July 1, 2007

My husband and I are avid historic hotel hoppers! We compare everything to the Strater Hotel in Durango which is a high 5 on our list. The National was intriguing because of its history and even its outside appearance. Granted, the hotel is over 150 years old, but there are some things you should be able to expect even though the hotel is old...like cleanliness, maintenance, comfortable rest?? Our room had EXTREMELY dirty carpet and we found ourselves walking in our shoes until we laid down in the rock-hard 70's mattresses. The toilet leaked water all over the floor if you leaned back on it. The air conitioner had to be plugged in to run and there was no cool air. The tv was snowy. There were mismatched sheets and pillow cases. The wallpaper was ripped everywhere. I spilled some water on the floor in the bathroom and there was mud on my paper towel! Then I decided to go swim in the pool and exercise my worries away, only to find an inch of DIRT in the bottom of the pool. I thought it was just stained and then grabbed a brush and touched the bottom stirring up a load of dirt! It looked like a slime pit! This is so sad...someone needs to refurbish this hotel. We paid $114 with tax for a $40 room. The only thing this place had going for it, other than its rich history, was its location in downtown Nevada City. Save your money and put it in a "Save the National Hotel" fund!

• Liked — The history and the location are superb!
  • Disliked — Not clean! Not comfortable!
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
4 Thank knowleshill
NEVADA
Reviewed November 2, 2006

I, along with 4 other people, tried to book some rooms for June 2007. However, the receptionist, as well as, the coordinator would not book any rooms nor give us any info. We had talked to them over 10 times in a two month period and never got a response. When I called today for the 20th time, the receptionist hung up on me. She said, "I do not have to put up with this!"

First of all, I never yelled, cursed, etc.. Instead, I was trying to explain the situation. I have never had someone in a business profession hang up on me! It must be a different breed at that hotel! Not to mention, they slur their words and can not hold a conversation. This leads me to believe they are drunk on the job! With all the bad news I have heard from locals and out-of-towners, why isn't something being done about their customer service!

Stayed October 2006
6 Thank TRAVELFAST1
Moonta, Australia
Reviewed August 18, 2006

Id read reports about this hotel that were far from flattering but had no choice as the others Id tried to book were full for the time I wanted. Yes the National is an OLD hotel but surely thats part of its charm. It was done out to the old style of its hey days and although it may have needed some repairs I thought it was good. My room was in the Coach-House and was clean and tidy, although there were no coathangers and little space to hang any clothing, my one complaint. The staff were great and very very helpful. When I saw them away from the hotel they spoke to me and were still friendly and helpful with suggestions on what to see and do. I was there during the week and was lucky enough to experience the last Wednesday of the Summer Nights In Nevada City. If you are looking for luxury and up to date accomodation this is not the hotel for you but if you want to experience what living in the 1800`s was like you will love this place.

14 Thank Tathra
Modesto, CA
Reviewed August 14, 2006

The National Hotel boasts it is the oldest, continously-in-business hotel this side of the Rockies. It is apparent this is true, but it is too bad they haven't done many upgrades or even upkeep through the years. Although our room was huge, bedroom area and sitting area, it was tacky and cheap-looking. One of the worst parts was the mold on the ceilings in the bedroom area and all through the hallways. Glad I wasn't there during the rainy season! The bathroom had a corner sink with no space to even put down your toothbrush. We were afraid to use our hairdryer (they didn't provide one) because we wondered if the electrical circuit could take it. While Nevada City was a fun and lively place to visit (especially on Friday and Saturday nights), I would not stay at the National Hotel again. So much for history!

7 Thank Butterfly77
#4 of 10 in Grass Valley
Nevada City Inn
Nevada City Inn
#3 of 5 in Nevada City

Been to National Hotel? Share your experiences!