Northern Queen Inn
Broad Street Inn(Nevada City)
$154
Nevada City Inn(Nevada City)
$80
$78
$150
Holiday Lodge(Grass Valley)
$99
$96
Grass Valley Courtyard Suites(Grass Valley)
$180
Gold Miners Inn(Grass Valley)
$184
AscendHotels
Holbrooke Hotel(Grass Valley)
$124
Sierra Mountain Inn(Grass Valley)
$120
Outside Inn(Nevada City)
All reviewsan updatetrain ridestaff was friendly and helpfulvaulted ceilingswho lives nearbymini muffinsfront desk attendantheated poolwould stay here againwandering aroundcontinental breakfast israilroad museumnice propertyan older propertyold schoolvictorian styleone of a kind
Reviewed June 21, 2008

Our stay at the Northern Queen Inn was pleasant. We stayed in one of their cabins which we recommend for the privacy, large space and comfort. The Inn has Wifi, a small pool which we did not use and a very friendly staff. It is convenient to downtown Nevada City and reasonably priced. Our cabin did have several lightbulbs out and needed a more thorough dusting, cobweb removing. It is aged looking inside but still a good deal for the money. We would stay here again and think that it will be a great place to bring the kids next time.

• Stayed: June 2008, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Reviewed March 30, 2008

Nice, clean, pleasant place to stay. I highly recommend the cabins, but the rooms are just fine.
The cabins come equipped with all you need in the kitchen. Silverware/pots and pans.
Lovely setting with trees.

• Stayed: March 2008, traveled with family
Reviewed January 21, 2008

Spent one night in the regular rooms. Nothing special, it's an older property, but it does seem very well maintained. My room was opposite the highway side, so there were no noise problems. Comfy bed, but not so comfy pillows. The cabins look pretty good, especially for families. The on-site restaurant is pretty good too, at least for breakfast.

• Stayed: January 2008, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 12, 2007

I was visiting friends in Grass Valley and unfortunately had no idea that Nevada City was hosting it's annual Patriot's Day festivities that weekend. The only "chain" hotel (a Holiday Inn Express) in the region was booked solid as was most other hotels in the area. I was able to get the nights I wanted at the Northern Queen Inn through their online booking on their web site and they even gave me a $15 per night discount on their normal room rate.

The hotel is nestled in the woods directly adjacent to Hwy 20 and within a short walking distance of the main street in Nevada City. Where the other hotels in the area are actually on the main road in town, this one wasn't. So it was more secluded and quiet than the other hotels.

The area surrounding the hotel makes for a beautiful setting and there is a train that will take you on a tour of the property and an old Chinese Cemetery for a nice little historical tour.

I couldn't eat at the restaurant on the hotel premesis as it was booked solid due to the influx of people for the weekend festivities, but it looked to be on par with something like a Carrows or high class Denny's.

The room I stayed in was unremarkable. It was clean however, and they provided a small refrigerator in the vanity area. The room had a sitting area next to the window so it was larger than some hotel rooms I've been in before. It was comfortable and quiet, which is all you can ask for in a hotel room after all. Oddly enough, the toilet would never completely flush in my room. I'd have to hold the handle all the way down to get it to completely flush. I don't know if someone previously clogged it and they never fully plunged it, or if it's a low water pressure problem.

There was a 19" T.V. in the room and I thought it was a little cheap given that most hotels put nothing smaller than a 27" in the room these days. It was difficult to watch from all but the foot of the bed. Fortunately, I didn't spend much time in the room and I somehow think that is the intent.

There was a pool in front of the office of the hotel, but I didn't make use of it. It's rather small, but something I'm sure kids would enjoy.

Overall the hotel is quiet, comfortable and clean. The surrounding area is beautiful at any time of year and when you look at the other choices and price ranges for a room in Nevada City, this hotel pretty much beats the rest hands down for it's value and charm.

If you are in Nevada City, this hotel is one of the best options unless you absolutely must stay on the main street. I seriously recommend it.

• Stayed: September 2007, traveled solo
2  Thank Codevyper
Reviewed September 1, 2007

This was a pleasant hotel that unfortunately we didn't spend enough time in. The check-in staff were especially friendly indeed I was able to book the hotel through email as they didn't have a web-booking facility when I tried to book the hotel online.

The favourable reviews on Tripadvisor led us to this hotel and we were not disappointed. The room (normal block) was spotless and grounds very nice, especially out back near the railcar. The decor is dated but then you get what you pay for. We checked out the restaurant for breakfast which was very nice - once again the staff were very friendly.

Nevada city itself looks very nice and next we time we visit we will give more time to explore it better. We arrived quite late so didn't have the opportunity to do so. Fortunately I spotted the hotel sign from the freeway approaching Nevada city (its a sharp right) otherwise I might have had difficulty finding the hotel in the dark.

we'll be back