“Great place to get away”
Review of Deer Creek Inn

Deer Creek Inn
Ranked #1 of 6 Nevada City B&B and Inns
Sierra Nevada Foothills
“Great place to get away”
Reviewed March 5, 2013

My husband and I stayed the night at this B&B for our anniversary. We loved the beauty of the house and Ruth's hospitality. She was the ultimate hostess and an excellent chef. We are still talking about that breakfast! The location of the inn is nice too. It's close enough to walk to downtown Nevada City, but set back a little so you're not right in the middle of everything. I recommend Deer Creek Inn to anyone who wants a nice place to get away. We'll be going back again.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (92)
Fairfield, California, United States
Reviewed January 25, 2013

We had a wonderful two night stay. Ruth is the perfect hostess and made us feel immediately comfortable. We stayed in Sheryl's room and it was very cozy and clean with a comfortable King size bed. Absolutely loved the delicious breakfasts! Ruth is a superb cook. She also recommended great restaurants for dinners. Loved this place and will absolutely go back again.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Carson City
Reviewed January 22, 2013

Spent two nights here this past weekend. Beautifully appointed, quiet room...fabulous breakfasts, coffee is put out early (a plus for me!) plus a decanter of brandy always in the parlor (a plus for both of us!) Ruth is a wonderful, thoughtful host and a fabulous chef. The rooms are beautiful and fairly roomy, with terry cloth robes, comfy beds and claw footed tubs. Romantic and restful!

Room Tip: Winifred Room is at back of the house so probably a bit quieter than the front, plus it has a balcon...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Alamo, California
Reviewed January 5, 2013

I wish my stay had been in the summer when I could enjoy the beautiful on-site river, but I'm here in January and it's a bit chilly. A beautiful Victorian inn with gorgeous woodwork and windows. Two inviting sitting rooms offer complementary brandy, limoncello, Hershey's Kisses and, during my stay, brownies. I was alone so chose to stay in the small Winifred's Room. Very comfortable bed, perfectly adequate room, but I think next time I'll upgrade to a larger room with a more proper seating area (although Winifred's Room offers a private deck overlooking the river which would be sublime in warmer weather). Ruth was the perfect hostess and served up a wonderful three-course breakfast in the most beautiful dining room. Breakfast by candlelight. My only complaint concerns the heating system. In the process of heating the common areas to a "comfortable" level, my room became a sauna. I confess that after an hour of constant forced air heat, I tinkered with the thermostat and shut the thing down. I will absolutely return to Deer Creek Inn.

Room Tip: Although perfectly adequate for the solo traveler, Winifred's Room is very small and not quite a...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
Sonoma
Reviewed January 1, 2013

We wanted to take a break right after the holidays and choosing The Deer Creek Inn was the
perfect choice. Right from the start, we were welcomed by our host, Ruth. She made us feel
very comfortable and was available for whatever needs we had such as dinner recommendations,
things to do in the area and she was also a historian of Nevada City, since she is born and raised
in the area. The room (Elaine's) was quite comfotable and cozy with lots of character. The
FULL breakfast served was outstanding (Ruth is quite a chef and owned a restarant in town)...
What else can we say? Loved it and will go back..

Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
San Francisco, California
Reviewed December 31, 2012

An excellence place to step back in time and yet still be pampered. The Victorian style Inn is charming and beautiful....a really wonderful Bed and Breakfast (B&B) experience. Our room had the old world charm with a French theme. We discovered every room had its own special design. It's clean, comfortable, the food is amazing. Not a crappy cold breakfast that you sometimes get in some B&Bs, but a gourmet multi-course hot breakfast...what a true B&B should provide. So delicious! The Innkeeper will ensure your stay is magical whether it's your comfort at the Inn to ideas with local activities, even making dinner or local theater reservations for you. Deer Creek Inn is in the Sierra Foothills, really beautiful area, and walking distance to their historical downtown. The Inn is situated near the creek with lawn area....great location for a private party or wedding. Something we will consider. Not many bedrooms, I think there are six rooms (of all styles, sizes, and features)..the prices may vary for each room?? We have visited Deer Creek Inn many times and will do so again....we love it!!! Even though it was just my husband and me, and romantic, we also meet friends there for a fun get together during the holidays.

Room Tip: There is no pool or fitness center but I can't remove the ratings for them.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Sacramento, California, United States
Reviewed December 28, 2012

Ruth our host was super. We drove up from Sac and were held up due to a storm. Ruth called to make sure we "didnt get washed down the river". lol. Such a nice gesture. I guess this place would be ideal for romantic couples, but I stayed with my wife and two of my friends. We partied like rock stars and came back pretty late. Deer Creek seems to accommodate all types. The home made brownies she left for us in the kitchen tasted great late night. The breakfast was memorable. The personal quiche we all got was on hit!! The home made danish topped it off.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
#4 of 10 in Grass Valley
Holbrooke Hotel
Holbrooke Hotel
#6 of 10 in Grass Valley

Been to Deer Creek Inn? Share your experiences!