“Awesomeness in the desert.”

BEST WESTERN Colorado River Inn
Ranked #1 of 13 Hotels in Needles
GreenLeadersBronze level
South Amboy, New Jersey
“Awesomeness in the desert.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 18, 2012

This is the Best - Best Western I have ever stayed at. I have stayed at Best Westerns and some are good, some not so much. But, this one was near perfect. Clean, pretty, resort Like in the middle of the desert. The staff was tops. I didn't want to leave. Great pool and spa. I wish that all of the Best Western owners would visit this one to see how to do it right. I would recommend this Inn to everyone traveling in the area. Or for a few days of rest and relaxation. The restaurant right next door (Juicy's) was excellent. You get a complimentary hot breakfast or 20 percent off anything on the menu on Best Western.

I'm writing this review from another hotel and I have to say that The Best Western in Needles, Ca has spoiled me. This place is not nearly as nice and overpriced. Maybe the owner of this hotel should visit the Best Western in the middle of the desert.

Room Tip: Try to get a room on the opposite side of the train tracks.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
pcrouch, General Manager at BEST WESTERN Colorado River Inn, responded to this review, September 20, 2012
My staff and I thank you for your kind words. We try very hard to please all our guests and it is nice to hear we are achieving our goals. Next time you are in the area make sure you stay again.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (87)
Austin
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 13, 2012

We stayed here on Sept. 9 on a cross country journey from San Francisco to Texas. The hotel was clean and quiet, the location convenient to the highway, the beds comfortable. The free wi fi also was a very nice feature. The free breakfast at the cafe next door was just OK but not great, so I'm giving them 4 out of 5. We didn't use the pool or other fitness facilities.
I agree with the reviewer who said that this is not a "destination," but rather an overnight stop. There ain't much of anything in Needles!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
pcrouch, General Manager at BEST WESTERN Colorado River Inn, responded to this review, October 4, 2012
TexJo,
Thank you for your review.
Prescott, Arizona
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 9, 2012

Large comfy room with the A/C going when we got there. Good when it's 105 degrees. Comfy bed, very helpful and cute little blond working the frony desk. Nice pool and spa, and all at a good price with the AARP discount. Couldn't ask for more.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
pcrouch, General Manager at BEST WESTERN Colorado River Inn, responded to this review, September 11, 2012
Glad you enjoyed your stay. We look forward to you staying again.
Redondo Beach, California
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 27, 2012

This is a very nice motel -- clean, well maintained, friendly staff. And it appears to be fairly priced for the market IF you have a reservation. A 2 queen room generally goes for $75-85 plus tax. I stopped there a week ago on the way home from visiting family in Albuquerque. I did not have a reservation. I usually stay at one of the other hotels in town, but thought I'd give this place a try. I was quoted a $125 per night rate (with a AAA discount). I thought it sounded high, but I was tired and didn't want to go to another hotel. I later found that I could have booked the same room for $79 plus tax if I had stopped at a hotspot in town and booked online. That meant I paid almost 60% more than the published rate. I can understand a higher rate for walk-ins, but this is exorbitant!

After responding to a Best Western survey I was contacted by the hotel manager who indicated that I had actually received more than a 15% discount as the rate for the room was $149.95. I am sure I was supposed to feel better about having paid $125 for an $80 room, but I actually felt even more ripped off. So, if you want to stay here, make sure you have a reservation.

I would have given this motel a "very good" rating had it not been for the rate and the manager's response. Two things would have kept me from giving it an "excellent" rating: the use of dispensers for soap and shampoo, and the breakfast. The restaurant next door provides the breakfast for the hotel. You have 3 choices: 1) cold cereal, biscuit and beverage, 2) scrambled eggs with diced ham, biscuit and beverage, or 3) a 20% discount off your choice from the menu. The restaurant is great -- the food is good, and the staff is very friendly. But relative to other hotels at which I have stayed, this does not compare. On this same trip I stayed at the Holiday Inn Express in Flagstaff and breakfast included eggs, sausage, bacon, pancakes, biscuits and gravy, fruit, juice, toast, dry cereal, etc. (And the room rate was lower!)

• Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank Lynne S
pcrouch, General Manager at BEST WESTERN Colorado River Inn, responded to this review, August 28, 2012
Mrs Globetrotter was refunded an additional 25% in the interest of customer satisfaction. We have been in contact and she has indicated her satisfaction.
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 23, 2012

This hotel is situated in a tiny town on Route 66. We chose it as we drove through because it looked the smartest. We were not disappointed. The room was clean. The beds were comfy and there were plenty of lovely soft towels. We had a refrigerator and microwave in the room. The staff were excellent. The town has no special attractions but is a convenient stop over place for a trip along Route 66

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Make sure to stop here when traveling Route 66, we have great information on the "mother road"
Arcata, CA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 22, 2012

The hotel staff was friendly and helpful. Referred us to the restaurant next door "juicy's" that was great. Breakfast was good too. Nice clean room with fridge. Easy access off of I-40 and ideal for an overnight stay. Will stay again.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
CAHumboldter, I am happy you found our staff freindly and helpful. Hurry back so you can explore more of Route 66.
Jonesboro, Illinois
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 20, 2012

Stayed in Needles on the way from Yosemite to Grand Canyon. There are cheaper choices in town, and we often go that route when just on the road, but for some reason decided to spend a few extra bucks and were glad we did. Very friendly staff, room was cool even though a/c fan wasn't on and it was 116 degrees outside! Very nice furnishings, everything clean and well cared for. They are right next to Jumbo's where we ate dinner and breakfast, a good choice. They have discounts for your breakfast there.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
dbaaww, Thank you for taking the time to write a review and we are happy you enjoyed your stay. Juicy's is a great choice for our free breakfast and they have a great dinner menul. We provide 10% discount for dinner as well
Also consider these accommodations in or near Needles
Red Roof Inn Needles
#1 of 14 in Bullhead City
Rio Del Sol Inn Needles
Rio Del Sol Inn Needles
#3 of 13 in Needles

Been to BEST WESTERN Colorado River Inn? Share your experiences!