“Good basic motel”

Rio Del Sol Inn Needles
Ranked #3 of 13 Hotels in Needles
Reviewed August 11, 2013

We were driving a stretch of Route 66 before heading to Death Valley. Needles is a small community, so the choices for lodging and restaurants are limited. We found this motel to be an acceptable option. The room was clean, the air conditioning worked (hugely important in this climate!) and the staff was friendly. They provide a coupon for a complimentary breakfast and a discount on dinner at Juicy's Café, which is located just a couple of blocks away. Others have commented on noise from the highway or train--but we didn't find this an issue at all.

2  Thank ShowMeSomething
pcrouch, General Manager at Rio Del Sol Inn Needles, responded to this reviewResponded August 15, 2013

Thank you for visiting our little part of Route 66. Its great that you got to enjoy a piece of history, Route 66

There are newer reviews for Rio Del Sol Inn Needles

Reviewed August 8, 2013

After this review it should be easy for someone to see why I came back to stay at the Rio Del Sol in Needles Ca. I'm out here on assignment / business and I'm far away from home. ALL the staff has just been over the top and they make sure I get everything I need to be comfortable. The room I have is always very clean and it has a brand new A/C, a nice mini fridge and a microwave. I get clean sheets and towels all the time. I work at night and it's easy to sleep here in the day because their ALL very respectful. The pool and spa are awesome and just what I need after a long night at work. As a matter of fact my last stay was cut short unexpectedly because our job was shut down for the long 4th of July weekend and a few days after. As I went home fully expecting to return to work the text Tuesday or Wednesday it ended up being a total of 3 weeks. Well the manager Lisa offered in the beginning to hold my things in storage if I ever needed that service......While I was back at home I did take her up on that after hearing how long I was going to be off. So Lisa & her staff came in neatly packed up all my things and put them in storage for me until my return. I came back checked in and ALL my stuff was already in the room waiting for me..... As I was going through my stuff and putting it all away I came across $$ MONEY $$ that I had forgotten I left behind......Well EVERY SINGLE DOLLAR was there and that just made me feel honored that they respected me and that they themselves had integrity. Now you know why I stay here at the Rio........ They make me feel like I'm family not just a person with a number on the door.........Thank you Rio Staff Sincerely Neil S.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled on business

Thank you once again Neil, I am happy the staff is keeping our guests happy.

Reviewed July 29, 2013

I probably wouldn't stay here again unless it was in a pinch. Room smelled musty and the carpeting could use a thorough cleaning. The young girl checking us in was very nice and helpful. The breakfast supplied was at a restaurant close by where you got a basic breakfast or 20% off of what you wanted with a coupon the motel gave us at check in.

Stayed: July 2013
pcrouch, General Manager at Rio Del Sol Inn Needles, responded to this reviewResponded July 30, 2013

I am sorry you felt that your room had a musty smell to it. We are very picky about the cleanliness of our property. I apologize and hope you will give us a second chance.

Reviewed July 6, 2013

After driving through the Mojave Desert on a motorcycle, we were about melted by the time we arrived at this refreshing desert oasis. First stop after unloading our gear in the spic 'n' span, comfortable room was the swimming pool, a pretty good size and surprisingly cool and refreshing, given the high ambient temperature of about 105 F. We were surprised also to find an indoor hot tub nearby, so after cooling off in the pool we relaxed our aching bodies in the tub. Good way to wind down after the long trip.

This is a well-run establishment with a pleasant and courteous staff. While they don't offer breakfast, they did provide a discount for us to eat at the nearby Juicy's Riverfront Cafe, where breakfasts are not for the faint of heart of heart or small of appetite (delicious, at least as much as we were able to eat, and a real bargain with the discount, one free meal for one purchased).

While the motel is on the outskirts rather than downtown as we would have preferred, it had all the amenities we needed for an overnight stay, including the old-timey Wagon Wheel Restaurant practically across the street. We had a good meal there with friendly service and so felt that we were able somewhat to partake of the local culture in this interesting, if rather overheated, place.

All in all, it was good, comfortable relaxing stay with very nice accommodations and convenient amenities.

2  Thank CarolDM1900
pcrouch, General Manager at Rio Del Sol Inn Needles, responded to this reviewResponded July 22, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. I am glad you enjoyed our little town and found our accommodations cool and comfortable. We try to please all our guests and it sounds like you enjoyed yourself. You have not experienced summer until you get a taste of high 120 degrees in Needles CA.

Reviewed July 5, 2013

I stayed here recently and can honestly say I was extremely dissatisfied!!I called previously and reserved a room for my husband and myself. I asked for a non smoking room,because I am
allergic to cigerette smell. I was also quoted a price by Lisa the Manager,who stated She was giving Me a discount since our friend is staying there long term for a work project. The lobby at check in was very clean,Bruce was not pleasant,did nor smile at all.We went to the room and as soon as We entered the smell of cigerette smell came rushing up in our nose.We went back to the lobby,and todl Bruce,he stated I dont have any other rooms-all booked up.
Bruce stated he would leave a note for Lisa and the housekeeping staff which he did not do.. The thermostat was also not working on the air conditioner,we had to get up all times of the night and turn it off and on,it would get too stuffy and the cigerette smel would again be stinky or too cold.We went back to the lobby again,they sent Sheria the housekeeper,who was a sweet,extremely nice an courteous person.She brought a de-ordorizer machine would clear
out the smell of cigrettes and shoudl benice and fresh,when we return.
Unfortuantely the weather was at least 130 and it still smelled and during the stay of two days had to again deal with no thermostat to clear the smell or cooling process as it should.There was also no outlets working near the bathroom to plug in my curling iron,which was also not a plus to everything we have dealt with.The housekeeping staff was wonderful.The blond girl at the front desk later the second day was very nice.This hotel need's to freshen up Bruce's attitude at the front desk.We spent as little time in the room as possible on our trip.Then comes the final day of check out,Lisa had previously quoted a price and I repeated it to her with a confirmation number,the price was at 80 dollars more than quoted, I complained and She said I mis understood,no I did not and with what We had to put up with,this was terrible!!
She said She would give Me a credit,but so far I have not received the bill,so I can't say if she did or not,also She stated I am not giving You breakfast too, I didnt ask for it in the whole time
I was here. I would never return to this establishment again.i do not recommend it at all,keep
going,do not stay here.Sheria You are awesome !!!!!!!!
Also, I forgot to mention,there was also a gentleman complaining about his room at the same time I was checking out.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Sherry G

I think it is important that our customers have all the facts, both sides of the story. You did receive a discounted rate at check in, due to your affiliation with one of the crew members that was staying with us long term. You were booked into a non smoking room. We do occasionally get people who smoke in non smoking rooms, and we try our best to remove all traces of this. If your room had been smoked in I apologize. At check in we were sold out and it would have been impossible to move you. When given the option the next morning you declined to move. I have personally checked the air conditioner and it was working fine. You were given a bill at check out that was for exactly what you initialed at check in. You received free breakfast for 2 in the morning for an apology for your complaints the night before I checked with the restaurant and apparently you were unhappy there as well. You were also given 50% off your first nights stay. It was credited to your credit card on June 30 with in minutes of your departure. I went back and watched the security tapes of your check in and check out and feel that I am representing my side of the story truthfully. We do not have an employee named Bruce. Perhaps you mean Barry and I will speak to my night auditor about his attitude. It is unfortunate that we will not be seeing you again. Should you decide to give us another try please contact me personally.

Reviewed June 30, 2013

First off I'd like to say that I had several places to choose from. Of coarse these days it always seems like it's the price people look at first. When I arrived in the lobby to check in I knew I had made the right choice from the beginning. I explained that I was going to be a transplant out here on an extremely long business trip for up to 18 months +. The Manager Lisa explained to me how and just what they do for their long term guests and they actually spoil them. I have come to find out that statement she said was true beyond belief!!!!! I feel like a part of the family here and the staff from here has attended to my every need. As I am working the night shift out on the interstate it is extremely important that I get good sleep, even during the day time hours I am able to trick my body into thinking it's night time because it's quiet here. Besides all that the room is always kept clean the bed is extremely comfortable and the shower has endless hot water. The pool and spa are also a great addition and to top it off there's even a sauna! I am giving a heart felt thank you to every member of this hotels staff that has made me more than comfortable. I am so far away from home, but with staff like this it is home for now and I want to personally say THANK YOU to Lisa, Darcey, Krystyn, Lori Ann, Kyle, Sheria, Jean, Mick & Miguele. You are all AWESOME and you make this world a BETTER place to be. Sincerely Neil & Donna Smith

Room Tip: Take what you can get because it fills up fast!!!!!
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled on business
pcrouch, General Manager at Rio Del Sol Inn Needles, responded to this reviewResponded July 21, 2013

Neil and Donna,
Thank you for staying with us while you were in Needles. It is always great to hear that our staff is going the extra mile for our guests. Make sure that next time ou are in the area you stay with us.

Reviewed June 23, 2013

It's kinda hard to give an extensive review since our stay was limited because of a road accident and hour and a half wait in our car in the desert. That said,once we arrived our reservation was in order and check in was prompt and easy. Our room was upstairs and down probably would have been better since we're in our 70's and negotiating stairs and baggage is a chore. My fault though for not asking for downstairs when I made the reservation. Got a discount coupon for restaurant a couple of blocks away, and meal was good. You also get one for breakfast in AM,but we didn't take advantage because we left at 5:30AM to get across mohave desert before the heat of the day. Did not use pool,but looked inviting. Partner took a shower,and she gave it a thumbs up. Room was nice and cool,beds were comfortable and we slept like logs. Had a fridge and micro.

Room Tip: Stairs are a little tough if you have mobility issues.
1  Thank Patrick M

Sorry to hear about your car trouble but I am glad we could provide a cool comfortable resting place.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Needles
Best Western Colorado River Inn
#1 of 11 in Laughlin
Quality Inn
Quality Inn
#4 of 13 in Needles

Been to Rio Del Sol Inn Needles? Share your experiences!