“Excellent place for lunch”
Review of Cafe La Maze

Cafe La Maze
Ranked #4 of 187 Restaurants in National City
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed October 22, 2013

My husband and I have had lunch a couple of times at Cafe La Maze and the food has always been excellent. I would recommend this restaurant to everyone who is looking for a nice place to eat.

1  Thank E Dianne L
There are newer reviews for Cafe La Maze

Reviewed October 13, 2013

This dark and cozy spot transports you to the 50's as you sit in red leather booths in a really dark (very low lighting) environment. The food is pretty good, the Salad La Maze is a delicious Shrimp Louie salad. The steaks are good. Drinks are pretty cheap. Make reservations if dining on Friday or Sat. night.

Reviewed July 27, 2013

This restaurant was quite a surprise, it was in national city and the street was okay, nothing that I would have said oh wow let me go there but because we got a Groupon coupon we decided to try it. This restaurant has been around for very many years. The inside had leather seating, evening type lighting and pictures of all the old stars all around the walls and even movies of Fred Astaire and Ginger Rogers playing on the TVs. The food was quite a surprise, we ordered the baby back ribs, they came out with a huge plate and the ribs were so large that they even hung over the edge of this huge plate. We of course shared. The meal came with a large salad, fresh assorted vegetables and mashed potatoes. We ordered a crème brûlée for dessert and again it came in a larger dish than normally served at most restaurants. Very good value and good food.

1  Thank rikkiquay
Reviewed July 23, 2013

Cafe La Maze, in National City, sure locals would say "in National City?...... Saw this offer in Groupon, $20 for $40, read all the reviews so why not we are from Tucson, so try and explore other than the Gaslamp restaurants. Seeing the restaurant from the outside and neighborhood, questioned my judgement, but relied on past reviews.
What a throw back to the 40's and it is still around, red leather booths, red and silver flocked wall paper, amazing.
Now the menu and food, extensive menu, I ordered a ribeye, my wife had the prime rib, which is what I should have ordered, as we shared and the prime rib was like cut into butter, my steak was cooked perfectly but nothing compared to the prime rib. All came with a nice salad, cold plates, dressings, baked or mashed potatoes, all which were good.
I only gave them 4 stars as they do not have an extensive wine list what they have is reasonably priced, however corkage is only $10, such a deal with your own wine.
At first I said I would not go back but after a fun "interesting " evening, I would go back just to try many more menu items. Service was great, patrons are "very casual" so you have been warned. All I can say thanks to Groupon as We would never have discovered this throw back to the 40's, he'll the chef must be 100 years old to still be in business.

1  Thank Mike H
Reviewed July 5, 2013 via mobile

Love the Prime Rib bites, my hubby loves the prime rib sandwich, we always have a great time & good service