“A Clean, Well-Lit Place in National City” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Holiday Inn Express San Diego South-National City

Holiday Inn Express San Diego South-National City
Ranked #2 of 9 Hotels in National City
GreenLeadersBronze level
“A Clean, Well-Lit Place in National City”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 5, 2007

I made my reservation based on the reviews in Tripadvisor.com. The hotel is very easily accessible. The registration was handled professionally by the night clerk and gave information about the hotel's amenities. Since I travel about 100+ nights a year, it is good that have a professional staff to give you the lowdown on what time breakfast starts and arranges a morning call. The continental breakfast only lacks fruits in the morning or a yogurt. It would be nice if that was offered. The room was very clean, but the towels were frayed and worn. There was plenty of parking in the lot. Channel selection is better at this Comfort Inn than others that I have stayed. Keep up the great work; I will stay here again.

• Liked — Service
  • Disliked — Towels; breakfast selection
  • Stayed August 2007, traveled solo
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
      Location
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
      Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank FernandoBee

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (45)
orange county
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 4, 2007

We live in Orange County and we stayed here for 1 night during Memorial day weekend. We decided to do a last minute trip to SeaWorld, and a lot of hotels were booked!

This place is about 10 miles or so from Sea World and had vacancy when we called the week before our stay.

The neighborhood appears to be a bit run-down, I'm assuming because we are closer to the border of Mexico here. (My husband made reference to Downtown L.A.) I made sure to park my car close to the hotel entrance, but other than that, we had no worries. The hotel parking area is gated but has open access to anyone.

The lobby looks new and everything was beautiful. Check-in was fairly quick, we arrived at approx. 4 pm.

Our room was nice and clean. The fridge kept our drinks very cold, which my husband loved. No microwave in our room, but we had a coffee maker. The bathroom was very nice, and looked like the tile in the shower was granite as well as the sink countertop. Very nice soda vending machine & ice machine. Looked to be fairly new. TV had lots of cable channels. A/C worked very well, beds are nice and large (we had a King), so no problems with sleeping.

We printed out maps before we arrived of the locations we wanted to visit, Sea World, Little Italy, Old Towne, SeaPort Village, since we drove our own car to the hotel, we had no problems getting around.

The staff at the desk are young, i.e. early 20's, and when asked if it was possible to take streets to Old Towne, we were told yes, and it would be a bit long but the scenic route. We contemplated it until another staffer spoke up and said it would take us over 1 hour to get there, and we were better off taking the freeway and we'd get there in about 10 minutes. We ended up taking the freeway.

The free breakfast looked like a good spread. Lots of juices, pastries and a wafflemaker, however we wanted to eat in SeaPort Village, so we skipped the breakfast.

I've stayed at motels such at Motel 6, and Travel Lodge, I'd say that this Comfort Inn is one level above those.

I would stay here again.

• Stayed May 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
      Location
      Check in / front desk
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank luvdm82
A TripAdvisor Member
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 14, 2005

I checked out of this hotel 15 minutes after checking in. There were no lamp shades on the lamps, only one electrical outlet worked and it had 2 extension cords running from it for the lamps of which only 1 worked. The ceiling was falling away from the fire sprinklers and there was water stains around the dripping fire sprinklers. I was afraid to put my luggage down. After calling the night manager, they tried to move me to another room that was in the same condition. I had to argue to get my money back. This place should be put out of its misery.

• Stayed July 2004, traveled on business
Hercor Hotel - Urban Boutique
#3 of 20 in Chula Vista
Clarion Hotel National City San Diego South
BEST WESTERN PLUS Island Palms Hotel & Marina

Been to Holiday Inn Express San Diego South-National City? Share your experiences!