“Great Breakfast”

Holiday Inn Express San Diego South-National City
Ranked #2 of 10 Hotels in National City
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed June 25, 2009

The free deluxe continental breakfast was very good. They have a waffle maker (it would help to have a 2nd one, as on a busy Sunday morning it would also be in use), boiled eggs, sausage, scrambled eggs, cereal, pastries, toast, etc. This saves a family quite a bit by not having to pay for one of you meals each day. The room was fine - beds and pillows were both comfy, adequate tv stations, free internet. Tha bathroom is a normal size for most hotels (small, but has what you need). I would stay there again as it is simple to get to the zoo, etc.

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled with family
There are newer reviews for Holiday Inn Express San Diego South-National City

Reviewed June 20, 2009

The only reason I was not a sleep on the bed in room when the rock came through the window is that I was away from the room having dinner in a nice neighborhood when it happened.

I cut my stay short and high tailed it out of the dangerous neighborhood this place is in. It was on my way out that I noticed the gang tag below the Hotel Sign.

Thats the last time I try and save a little money on a hotel room without checking the reviews first.

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled on business
3  Thank vinmann
Reviewed June 14, 2009

Bad news first: The room had a musty smell. The television had lines at the top of the picture. We never did complain about the television, so they might have changed it if asked. The downstairs ice machine was broken, so we had to go upstairs to get ice. Our room was right by the front desk, which is why my husband complained slightly about the noise. I didn't notice the noise in the room at all. I slept right through any noise.

Now for the rest: I wake early, and went out to the breakfast area. That area was noisy, but that was no fault of the hotel. Families let their little children run around to get out some of their energy. If you want quiet, collect your breakfast and go back to your room. The breakfast was better than a continental breakfast. Besides the pastries and bread and jelly, there were scrambled eggs and sausage, make your own waffles, cereal, juice, milk, and coffee. If something ran out, you simply have to ask for more from the server in the room attached to the dining area. She cheerfully refilled the coffee, eggs, sausages, etc. several times while I sat there. So, deduct the cost of a breakfast per person from the cost of your day. This was a definite advantage.

The hotel is close to downtown San Diego, Coronado, and near to major attractions. The folks who work there were all friendly and helpful. The hotel was not a luxury resort by any means, but we didn't expect that it would be at the price that we paid. I would stay there again, and I would recommend that family and friends do so as well at the price we paid. I would not pay over $100 per day for it though. Parking was free.

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 31, 2009

for a non -smoking hotel,the room smelled a little musty,but we got adapted
quickly. The bigger problem was noise, we both are light sleepers and I
requested a room that is quiet, on the top floor. We got the top floor,but
we got three young guys next door who were jumping up and down and
shaking our whole room.They went in and out of the room slamming the
door every twenty minutes until 1a.m. The front desk person phoned them
but they still slammed the door- we wre not offered a room change.
The building is old and flimsy, the floors bounce when walking on them.

• Stayed: May 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 3, 2008

My family stayed at this Comfort Inn while we visited the San Diego area. The room was clean and quiet and the location of the hotel is perfect! We rented a car and drove to Balboa Park, Mission Beach, La Jolla and Legoland in Carlsbad. The staff was very polite and helpful. Breakfast was good. They offer hot and cold cereal, toast, bagels, pastries, fruit, hard boiled eggs and make your own waffles. Overall,our stay here was pleasant and we would not hesitate to stay here again!

• Stayed: June 2008, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank hellokitty77
Reviewed August 20, 2007

I had never heard of National City before, and it's a quiet city the hotels main street has everything like lots of restaurants, pharmacies, groceries stores. everything was so conveniently with in walking distance. I definitely recommend this comfort Inn. Oh and their staff was wounderfull they didn't miss a chance to go the extra mile for me several times.

• Stayed: August 2007, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2  Thank noema233
Reviewed August 5, 2007

I made my reservation based on the reviews in Tripadvisor.com. The hotel is very easily accessible. The registration was handled professionally by the night clerk and gave information about the hotel's amenities. Since I travel about 100+ nights a year, it is good that have a professional staff to give you the lowdown on what time breakfast starts and arranges a morning call. The continental breakfast only lacks fruits in the morning or a yogurt. It would be nice if that was offered. The room was very clean, but the towels were frayed and worn. There was plenty of parking in the lot. Channel selection is better at this Comfort Inn than others that I have stayed. Keep up the great work; I will stay here again.

• Stayed: August 2007, traveled solo
Holiday Inn Express San Diego South - Chula Vista
Howard Johnson Express Inn National City/San Diego South
Comfort Inn Chula Vista San Diego South
Holiday Inn Express San Diego Airport - Old Town

Been to Holiday Inn Express San Diego South-National City? Share your experiences!