“"UNSAFE FURNITURE and LOCATION!" "POORLY RAN HOTEL"”

Holiday Inn Express San Diego South-National City
Ranked #2 of 10 Hotels in National City
GreenLeadersBronze level
Calabasas, California
“"UNSAFE FURNITURE and LOCATION!" "POORLY RAN HOTEL"”
Reviewed July 13, 2014 via mobile

I had to stay in this hotel only for its proximity to an event. I had 2 rooms, both had the same problems. Their bed frames have areas that are exposed with extreme "razor sharp" surfaces. On my 1st night as I was removing my slippers next to the bed, my foot rubbed gently next to the bed frame and cut my little toe deeply and left an uncontrollable flow of blood. I called the front desk who behaved like there was no urgency to check their guests room. I had to request a first aid kit, I also requested maintenance to follow up the following a. m. They didn't, I requested for the mngr. to see us, but only did after the last day and was arrogant instead of being helpful. Another member of the family cut their shin in the other room on the night before our departure, the response was equally passive.

This place only provided housekeeping in one of our rooms, but the room located in the end of the hallway did not get housekeeping. This hotel is being managed by an inexperienced individual and their poor management of their hotel reflects to some of the lower level staff.

The location is not desirable for families, in all 3 nights there were intoxicated people in the parking lot, when brought to their attention, still no security was seen at night and thought that this added to the hotels flair???

The average price per night is not worth it, if the breakfast is it's only selling point. The area is loaded with BF places, so one can stay in another place.

The Chula Vista location is far better than this place. They both serve BF, but the management is more attentive and is a child friendly location.

• Stayed June 2014
1 Thank grace2727
SDBolts619, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express San Diego South-National City, responded to this review, July 14, 2014
Dear Grace2727,

I would like to apologize for the issues you had during your stay with us. In regards to the issues with the bed frames, we have had this particular model of platform bed frame for a number of years, and yours is the first incident we've had reported to us of a problem with them.

After the incident, our staff spoke with your husband, who said that everything was fine and not to worry about it. We did have our engineer check the bed frame and I checked the bed frame personally. While the edges of the support beams are not beveled smooth, I was unable to replicate any sort of injury using an apple as a test instrument without using force approaching that of a kick.

I apologize that housekeeping service was not consistent between your two rooms. It may have been that one of your rooms left their 'Stay and Relax' do not disturb sign on the door on one or more of their days. We respect our guest's privacy and will not service a room when the sign is left in place. We do attempt to contact the room in this case to ask if service is needed, but if we cannot reach anyone in the room, the room will not be serviced on that day.

I can also assure you that Laura, our Front Office Manager, is far from inexperienced. She spent a number of years in Las Vegas as a supervisory employee with the Venetian Hotel and Casino. While she is still learning some aspects of the job at our hotel, she's a great asset to our team. I'm sorry that you had a poor experience with her and I am always working to improve her skillset as well as the rest of our team here at the Holiday Inn Express.

Lastly, the hotel does have security staff on site Friday and Saturday evenings. If there was an issue during the week, I'm sorry we did not have someone here to resolve it, but our normal weekday clientele is business travelers, trade workers and longer term stays. While some may choose to unwind with an adult beverage after work, we have never had any issues with the behavior of our regular guests. On weekends, with the increased leisure travel, we do have security overnight to help keep noise levels down throughout the property.

Again, I'm sorry to hear about your stay with us. Your experience is certainly not indicative of the vast majority of our guests, but we will certainly discuss these issues within our team to make sure that they do not affect future guests at our hotel.

Eric Loft, CHA

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (46)
New York City, New York
Reviewed June 26, 2014

Quite honestly I’m a bit conflicted about this hotel. I vacillate between poor and average, but had this trip been uneventful it may have been better. I had reserved a room with two beds. On arrival I was told that the only thing available was a king with a rollaway, and that they did not know if a proper room would be available for the remainder of my stay.

When I got to the King room it was dirty with bottles and garbage on the floor behind the sitting chair. After the rollaway was setup, there was absolutely no space to move around the room. In fact I believe that this would have been fire code violation in some states. Later we realized that there was no shower curtain in the bathroom. At breakfast we realized that the hotel was actually very full with many children. Finding a place to sit down for breakfast was impossible because the children had left garbage on most of the tables and there was no staff to clean up after them.

Later that morning I was told that a proper room would be available and that I would move later that afternoon. The following day I was out all day and on returning to the hotel in the very late afternoon the room was not serviced. I found the house keeper and asked for some clean towels and told her that she did not have to service the room. I’ve never seen a more thankful person! As it turned out, she was very overworked that day.

All the while I had been attempting to find out why the right room was not available on check in since I’d like some compensation for it. I had my reservation paperwork which was correct. The hotel produced paperwork claiming that they received the reservation as a King room. However nothing on the hotels paperwork provides traceability, or, a paper chain tying it to my reservation. None of the numbers match.

In the end it turned out that this hotel was 100% booked. That capacity level compromised the hotels ability to fulfill reservations properly, keep it breakfast area serviceable, and to clean the guest rooms in a timely manner. My suggestion is that if you plan to stay here, check the hotels capacity for the period of you stay. If it is fully booked, or even close, I would suggest that you stay elsewhere.

One closing thought. The parking lot is treacherous. It is very tight, too small when the place is full, and entry/exit to the main road is outright scary.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank RAD1955
SDBolts619, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express San Diego South-National City, responded to this review, June 27, 2014
Dear Rad1955,

I would like to apologize about the poor experience you had during your stay with us recently. I know that you and I spoke several times during the course of your stay in regards to the room type issue. As I recall, you had booked through Hotels.com and as the screen printout from our system showed, the reservation was sent to us as being for one king size bed. I am sorry I was not able to match up your confirmation number from your booking with Hotels.com with our system's confirmation numbers - we do not receive your booking number from Hotels.com, so we are unable to provide that sort of direct link.

While I was aware of the missing shower curtain during your stay - I have spoken to our housekeeping supervisor and the room attendant who prepared the room you checked into initially about making certain that all items are in place before the room is released for use - this is the first I have heard about any issue with the cleanliness of the room. I certainly am very surprised to hear of any problems with the room not being properly cleaned for check in - our team normally does an excellent job with cleanliness and receives many compliments in that regard. I will definitely follow up with our team in regards to this as well.

In regards to service during your stay, our team will always service each guest room that does not have a 'Do Not Disturb' sign in place every day. However, during the week, they do work from 8:30am to 5:00pm and on weekends from 9:00am to 5:30pm. Many days, unless there is a request from a guest for service at a particular time, the rooms for our guests who are staying over another day will be towards the end of the workday, so a room might not be serviced until 4:30-5:00pm.

I would also like to apologize for the children at the hotel during part of your stay. We did have a good sized church group staying with us and they had numerous children. While we strive to provide a terrific experience for all guests, as with any hotel or business, sizable groups of children can be a challenge to clean up after.

Finally, I would agree that the entrance/exit to our parking lot can be a bit of a hassle, especially if you are wanting to turn left out of our lot. Unfortunately, this is essentially beyond our control or ability to change at the hotel.

National City, California
Reviewed April 23, 2014

Obviously a lot of repeat customers - for good reason. If you're looking for a long-term stay, this is a good home away from home. Breakfast attendant Angelica asked me to write a review - she always has a nice smile for everyone in the morning!

• Stayed April 2014, traveled on business
SDBolts619, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express San Diego South-National City, responded to this review, April 25, 2014
Dear 93blazer,

Thank you for taking time to write your review of our hotel. Yes, we do have a good number of 'regulars' that stay with us for extended periods, weekly or several times a month. We're always happy to see them as well as our new guests! I have passed on your kind words about Angie - she's definitely a real gem and is very happy that you found her friendly and welcoming.

We look forward to seeing you again soon!

Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed April 16, 2014

Stayed here for two nights with my family. Very clean and freshly decorated hotel. Spacious rooms. Very helpful and friendly staff. Complimentary breakfast. Very comfortable beds. Guest Laundry. Free parking and wifi.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
SDBolts619, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express San Diego South-National City, responded to this review, April 18, 2014
Dear Polly S,

Thank you so much for your kind review of our hotel. Myself and the entire team are very pleased that you enjoyed your accommodations with us as well as our service and amenities. I'm very happy to pass on your review to everyone! I'm going to venture a guess that you were the family whose son played for the Lions and of course your Brisbane Lions supporters and you were visiting the San Diego Lions while here in town. It was a please to meet you and help you while you were visiting us!

Thanks again and we look forward to seeing you again someday - although being from Brisbane, I imagine a visit to San Diego isn't an everyday (or every year) occurrence.

Grand Anse, Grenada
Reviewed April 13, 2014

Just finished a six night stay at this property; the photos don't reflect how great this property is. Located a heartbeat from the I-805, and an easy hop to I-5, my wife and I chose this location as an economic alternative to an expensive downtown San Diego hotel during a conference.

Brenda and Miriam were gems - we didn't have many requests, but we were greeted as family every day. The housekeeping staff kept our room looking brand new every evening, and the free breakfast was more than adequate.

Yes, National City isn't the Gaslamp Quarter, but the neighborhood is far from questionable. Any review that mentions safety concerns was likely written by someone who has never left a gated community. There are several small restaurants and fast food options within 2 stoplights and a Wal-Mart 3/4 stoplights away. We drove from the hotel to the San Diego Convention Center almost daily - 10 to 15 minutes with no traffic, never longer than 20 minutes with heavy traffic.

Three washers and three dryers are located on the ground floor, the two elevators move swift enough, and there was always adequate off-street parking.

I'm a commercial photographer in the Caribbean, and I only wish the photographs showed just how good this property is. Even if I had a budget for $500 downtown rooms, I'll be booking this hotel on our return to San Diego.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled on business
1 Thank MDGilligan
SDBolts619, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express San Diego South-National City, responded to this review, April 14, 2014
Dear MDGilligan,

Thank you so much for your review of our hotel! The entire team, especially Brenda and Mireille, who you mentioned, are very happy that you really enjoyed your stay. Our housekeeping and engineering team really do work hard to keep the property in tip top clean shape and we're glad that it shows through. Yes, our location makes for very easy access to the Convention Center, as well as most of San Diego's attractions. I would certainly agree with you on the photography - I would love to get new photos that really show off the beauty of our hotel better than our current online photos. Hopefully that will happen before this summer.

I'm also glad you enjoyed the neighborhood. You're correct, we are not the Gaslamp district, but National City is actually a very nice place. In addition to the spots you mentioned, there is a good sized list of restaurants that get 4+ reviews on Yelp located within a mile of the hotel.

Thanks again and we look forward to seeing you on your next visit to San Diego!

Layton, Utah
Reviewed April 8, 2014

I've stayed at this hotel on a couple of occasions. The first time was amazing. Laura and Brenda at the front desk were very helpful and accommodating. They were great with suggestions on where to visit and sight-see as well as with restaurant suggestions. After my first experience there, I wanted to make sure to stay here if I was ever in the area again. When my son and I decided that we wanted to take a trip to Southern California to see the beach and visit Seaworld, staying at the Holiday Inn in National City was the obvious choice. I was not disappointed. The second time around was just as amazing as the first. I was greeted by Merielle at the front desk. She was quick to get me checked in, and even allowed me to check in a little before the check in time which was nice as my son was a little tired from the long drive. I mentioned that we wanted to go to the beach, and Merielle had several suggestions for us right away. She was great. The following morning, on our way out the door to Seaworld, we were greeted by Brenda, who made the awesome suggestion to take a towel with us. It's the staff at this Holiday Inn that make the difference. They truly care about the visitors, and are very friendly. I actually stopped to chat with them on the way out and the way back in just to let them know how everything worked out. Stay here. You will not be disappointed.

Room Tip: This hotel is within walking distance of one of the few Jolibee franchises within the US.