“Fantastic alternative to $500 rooms downtown”

Holiday Inn Express San Diego South-National City
Ranked #2 of 10 Hotels in National City
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed April 13, 2014

Just finished a six night stay at this property; the photos don't reflect how great this property is. Located a heartbeat from the I-805, and an easy hop to I-5, my wife and I chose this location as an economic alternative to an expensive downtown San Diego hotel during a conference.

Brenda and Miriam were gems - we didn't have many requests, but we were greeted as family every day. The housekeeping staff kept our room looking brand new every evening, and the free breakfast was more than adequate.

Yes, National City isn't the Gaslamp Quarter, but the neighborhood is far from questionable. Any review that mentions safety concerns was likely written by someone who has never left a gated community. There are several small restaurants and fast food options within 2 stoplights and a Wal-Mart 3/4 stoplights away. We drove from the hotel to the San Diego Convention Center almost daily - 10 to 15 minutes with no traffic, never longer than 20 minutes with heavy traffic.

Three washers and three dryers are located on the ground floor, the two elevators move swift enough, and there was always adequate off-street parking.

I'm a commercial photographer in the Caribbean, and I only wish the photographs showed just how good this property is. Even if I had a budget for $500 downtown rooms, I'll be booking this hotel on our return to San Diego.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled on business
1  Thank MDGilligan
SDBolts619, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express San Diego South-National City, responded to this reviewResponded April 14, 2014

Dear MDGilligan,

Thank you so much for your review of our hotel! The entire team, especially Brenda and Mireille, who you mentioned, are very happy that you really enjoyed your stay. Our housekeeping and engineering team really do work hard to keep the property in tip top clean shape and we're glad that it shows through. Yes, our location makes for very easy access to the Convention Center, as well as most of San Diego's attractions. I would certainly agree with you on the photography - I would love to get new photos that really show off the beauty of our hotel better than our current online photos. Hopefully that will happen before this summer.

I'm also glad you enjoyed the neighborhood. You're correct, we are not the Gaslamp district, but National City is actually a very nice place. In addition to the spots you mentioned, there is a good sized list of restaurants that get 4+ reviews on Yelp located within a mile of the hotel.

Thanks again and we look forward to seeing you on your next visit to San Diego!

Reviewed April 8, 2014

I've stayed at this hotel on a couple of occasions. The first time was amazing. Laura and Brenda at the front desk were very helpful and accommodating. They were great with suggestions on where to visit and sight-see as well as with restaurant suggestions. After my first experience there, I wanted to make sure to stay here if I was ever in the area again. When my son and I decided that we wanted to take a trip to Southern California to see the beach and visit Seaworld, staying at the Holiday Inn in National City was the obvious choice. I was not disappointed. The second time around was just as amazing as the first. I was greeted by Merielle at the front desk. She was quick to get me checked in, and even allowed me to check in a little before the check in time which was nice as my son was a little tired from the long drive. I mentioned that we wanted to go to the beach, and Merielle had several suggestions for us right away. She was great. The following morning, on our way out the door to Seaworld, we were greeted by Brenda, who made the awesome suggestion to take a towel with us. It's the staff at this Holiday Inn that make the difference. They truly care about the visitors, and are very friendly. I actually stopped to chat with them on the way out and the way back in just to let them know how everything worked out. Stay here. You will not be disappointed.

Room Tip: This hotel is within walking distance of one of the few Jolibee franchises within the US.
  • Stayed: April 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank Stephan E
SDBolts619, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express San Diego South-National City, responded to this reviewResponded April 10, 2014

Dear Stephan E,

Thank you so much for your kind review of our hotel and team! I know that Brenda, Laura and Mireille all love being recognized for their terrific guest services. And yes, that Jolibee's is a pretty good spot. I'd never heard of them before coming here and definitely enjoy their food.

Thanks again and we look forward to seeing you on your next San Diego visit!

Reviewed April 7, 2014

We were about an 11 minute drive from downtown San Diego. Rooms were clean and updated. Hotel was very clean and well maintained. Breakfast was good. Outdoor pool was heated and kids enjoyed it even at 18c and windy!! Parking was free, free wifi too.
All in all, we were very pleased. It was a short drive to anywhere we wanted to go and the price was excellent. $73/nt on hotwire!

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank Jamie B
SDBolts619, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express San Diego South-National City, responded to this reviewResponded April 8, 2014

Dear Jamie B,

Thank you so much for taking time to write you review of our hotel. The entire team is pleased that you found our hotel clean, comfortable, close to everything and have the right amenities for you and your family.

I'm not surprised that your kids played in the pool. Sure, 18c is a bit cooler than we normally are this time of year, but that's downright balmy compared to the winters up in Edmonton!

We look forward to seeing you the next time you visit San Diego.

Reviewed March 23, 2014

My boyfriend is a truck driver and comes home every 28-45 days. We have stayed at many hotels in San Diego, some in parts of San Diego where you would expect the hotel and service would be 5-star and they weren't. This time when he came home, he booked at the Holiday Inn Express South in National City and MY GOSH! WHAT A BEATUTIFUL HOTEL!

I grew up in San Diego and know National City. I would never have suggested we stay in National City, only because I felt I needed to stay near "the water" or in Mission Valley. But I'm so glad we stayed here!

The hotel was perfect! CLEAN, BEAUTIFULY DECORATED! WONDERFUL, EXCELLENT CUSTOMER SERVICE! GREAT BREAKFAST and did I say the staff was 5-star? The Holiday Inn Express South-National City is close to the 805 and 5 freeways. Very close to all San Diego's major attractions and beaches; but mostly, you get the see the community of National City and the wonderful people who live here. There a tons of great restaurants, shops, and very close to Westfield's Plaza Bonita Mall.

I highly recommend the Holiday Inn Express for all your business and personal affairs. They have great meeting rooms, a Business Center, and nice swimming pool. You will love it! I loved it and will be staying here again!

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple
SDBolts619, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express San Diego South-National City, responded to this reviewResponded March 24, 2014

Dear Wanda,

The entire team here at the Holiday Inn Express San Diego South / National City are delighted to hear that you had a wonderful experience during your stay with us! Thank you so much for taking the time to write your review and we look forward to seeing you again on your next visit.

Reviewed March 20, 2014

I must tell that I was surprised with this hotel. I was there with my wife last week to attend a festival, and all the staff were very nice. The hotel is new, and the rooms are big and comfortable. There is a Chinese restaurant next door, and a pancake house restaurant across the street with great food. The location of the hotel is perfect, centrally located, close to the 805 freeway and a few minutes from the airport & downtown San Diego.
I must say thank you to Angie, Brenda and Luis for setting our reservations.

Stayed: March 2014, traveled on business
SDBolts619, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express San Diego South-National City, responded to this reviewResponded March 22, 2014

Dear Victor Hugo,

Thank you for taking the time to write your kind review of our hotel. We really appreciate you staying with us and love to hear that you had a fabulous stay during the National City Mariachi Festival. Brenda, Angie, Luis and the whole team look forward to seeing you for next year's festival!

Reviewed March 17, 2014

Thank you to Laura and Luis !!
I stay at this new hotel every time I travel to San Diego because the staff is always friendly, always smiling and always goes out of their way to please you. Laura and Luis are very knowledgeable about the area and can help you plan a day trip to see the sights you want to see! The rooms are new, clean and usually if you tell them that you will be coming in early the next day of your stay they will have the room taken care of before you get back. The breakfast is very good too, the Hotel is walking distance to stores and restaurants.

Room Tip: Need to choose Holiday Inn National City in San Diego!!
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled with friends
SDBolts619, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express San Diego South-National City, responded to this reviewResponded March 20, 2014

Dear Lidia W,

Thank you so much for taking the time to provide your feedback on our hotel. Laura, Luis and the rest of the team are very pleased that you thoroughly enjoyed your stay with us.

We look forward to seeing you on your next visit to San Diego!

Reviewed March 9, 2014

so came to visit San Diego been in several hotels and motels. I had a really bad experience some of them. not like the other ones Its really clean and nice. the front desk people was really helpful I really want to help very nice people especially Mireille and Angie that's been responsive to any of my requests.Thank You Holiday Inn Expressin the next visit it will be surely you guys. :-)

• Stayed: March 2014
1  Thank DavidAshburn124
SDBolts619, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express San Diego South-National City, responded to this reviewResponded March 11, 2014

Dear DavidAshburn124,

Thank you for taking the time to write up your review! The entire team appreciates you staying with us and your feedback, especially Mireille and Angie. They were really happy to see the positive call out on the review! We look forward to seeing you again on your next visit to San Diego.

Also consider these accommodations in or near National City
Holiday Inn Express San Diego South - Chula Vista
Comfort Inn Chula Vista San Diego South
Howard Johnson Express Inn National City/San Diego South
Holiday Inn Express San Diego Airport - Old Town

Been to Holiday Inn Express San Diego South-National City? Share your experiences!