Holiday Inn Express San Diego South-National City
GreenLeadersBronze level
Surrey
“Great stay.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 25, 2013

My family was on a road trip and we booked this hotel thru hotwire. I was satisfied after paying that we got Holiday inn and for sure it did not disappoint my family. The room was totally redone, very good breakfast, clean, very good location, pool was okey. Merialle from the front desk was very helpfully and accommodating. We will stay here again and I'll recommend it for good value for your money.

Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
SD_GM92131, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express San Diego South-National City, responded to this review, November 30, 2013
Dear Valued Guest,
Thank you for taking the time in reviewing the Holiday Inn Express San Diego South - National City. We are so happy to hear that you had a “great stay.” We are also happy to hear that you took advantage of our complimentary deluxe breakfast. We strive to work hard in providing exceptional quality service as well as making sure we accommodate each and every one of our guest and we are glad we were able to do just that. We appreciate you recommending our hotel to other travelers as well. Thank you again for reviewing the Holiday Inn Express San Diego South – National City. We look forward to seeing you during your next visit.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (45)
Fort Duchesne, Utah
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 1, 2013

Traveled to San Diego w 25 high school students to chaperone them for their senior trip. The hotel was very accommodating to us. Luis was amazing to work with! The staff were very friendly and welcoming. We did not have one bad experience here. The rooms were very clean and updated. I was worried about my students not liking the hotel since we were on a budget, but they were amazed at the quality of the rooms. The rooms even satisfied my pickiest student. Loved the hotel and would definitely stay here again w my students!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank mrsjonx
Dear Valued Guest,
Thank you for taking the time in reviewing the Holiday Inn Express South – National City. We are so pleased to hear that we are a “great hotel.” We are also delighted to hear that the staff was friendly and welcoming as well. We did have a recent renovation so to hear that the rooms were clean and updated is always nice to hear. We strive to work hard in providing exceptional quality service and well maintained rooms and are glad that you took notice. Again, thank you for reviewing the Holiday Inn Express South – National City. We look forward to seeing you during your next stay. Thank you!
Citrus Heights, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 16, 2013

My husband and I stayed here for two days over the 4th of July. We were very plently surprised at how nice the hotel is and the staff was very friendly. The hotel is clean, the rooms are updated and very nice. The breakfast was very good. We will definitely be staying here again when we come visit family.

Surrey, Canada
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 12, 2013

Right from the time I drove into this hotel till I checked out, it was a nightmare. The entrance raised my apprehensions. The check in was reasonably ok with no upgrades available for a Platinum member as the property has no suites. I carried my bags to a smelly elevator, getting off to a smelly corridor with dirty old carpets and then onto a two queen bedroom with damp air and old smelly carpets with no place or furniture for the bags, After placing my bags on the floor, I stepped into the washroom that barely had standing room. It was too late in the day (10.30 pm) for a tired traveler to look at other options. Next morning, after an average breakfast, I went online and booked another Holiday Inn Express hotel in San Diego using my points and cancelled my stay at this hotel for the second night. The service for check out was good and I felt like being released from Alcatraz prison as I stepped out. It is shocking how this is even an IHG property and how it has got some good reviews on expedia or tripadvisor. Either those are manipulated or those people have never stayed in a decent hotel.

Room Tip: For a good room, look for another hotel.
1 Thank psahaye
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express San Diego South-National City, responded to this review, July 28, 2013
Dear psahaye,

Thank you for being a IHG Rewards Club Platinum member and for leaving us a feedback. We do value all of our guests and I am sorry that as a Platinum member you did not get the benefits that you are entitled to.

Please accept our sincerest apologies for the poor experience and service issues you have encountered. I deeply regret that our level of cleanliness didn't live up to your expectations. These certainly are not usual and we will be looking into these further and value the chance to make improvements where possible.

As an elite member, your patronage and support to our hotel are very much important, as such, we are concerned when we fell short of your expectations. I have taken note of your valuable comments and will use these to monitor and improve the quality of services we offer. We hope that you will give us the opportunity to welcome you back and allow us to redeem your faith in our award winning service.

Dhan M
Case Manager
IHGCare
Quartz Hill, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 5, 2013

The location doesn't seem the best and that initially concerned me. After entering the hotel, my concerns were quickly quieted. The hotel has been fully renovated with top of the line finishes. Flat screen t.v., refrigerator and microwave was a huge added bonus. The breakfast was a lot better than expected, there was a nice variety. The staff was amazing from the start, Ashley and Brenda were great! The pool is sufficient, but the spa was not fully functional. It's not located off of the hotel, you have to cross the parking lot and you can see the street below you if you're not in the water, but that was not bothersome. The 805 and 5 fwy's are easily accessible from the hotel and you're 8-15 mins from all attractions in San Diego. All in all it was a great stay for my family and the price was very good for the hotel. I would stay again.

Maquoketa, Iowa
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 30, 2013

My husband and I took a trip to go down memory lane. We lived in the San Diego area (Imperial Beach) more than 32 years ago (husband was in the US Navy). We wanted to go back to the area and visit. After much deliberation we decided to stay at this hotel in National City (not my husbands first choice as he remembered National City as being a rough area). We were amazed on how nice the area around the motel was. The room was amazing along with the breakfast area and check in area. Everything was so clean and very modern. But we both agree the best part of the Holiday Inn Express was the staff. Everyone we came into contact with were all so helpful and friendly. The one person who was the most amazing was Ashley. From the moment we met her she was amazing. We told her we were there to visit because we were in the Navy. She then told us about her husband (who is also serving his country right now). Ashley gave us amazing recommendations for eating and visiting different attractions in the San Diego area. She always had a smile on her face and greeted us no matter how busy she was. We wish we would have been able to tell her how much we appreciated all her help but she was not working when we checked out of the motel. We spent a wonderful three days visiting the area and what helped us to really enjoy our trip was to know that in the evening we had an amazing motel to stay at. We would recommend this motel to anyone who wants a great place to stay.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Signal Hill, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 20, 2013

I book travel arrangements for the company I work for. We are often in the San Diego area. We had a project near the Holiday Inn Express National City. I got in touch with the Sales Manager, Luis Borbon, to help with our last minute arrangements. He is the nicest guy. Luis had an account set up for us, with a good rate, and rooms reserved in no time. Our employees said the hotel is great. As business travelers they are wanting free breakfast, free internet, free parking, a comfortable bed and a clean place to stay. This hotel has all that, plus a friendly helpful staff and a convenient location.They requested that I book them rooms there in the future. I just want to thank the Sales Manager, Luis, for taking care of my corporate travelers with such joy and friendliness. I appreciate his professionalism and the special attention he continues to show us.

Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
#3 of 20 in Chula Vista
BEST WESTERN South Bay Inn
BEST WESTERN South Bay Inn
#6 of 20 in Chula Vista

Been to Holiday Inn Express San Diego South-National City? Share your experiences!