“Great value, professional staff - Highly Recommended!”

Holiday Inn Express San Diego South-National City
Ranked #2 of 10 Hotels in National City
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed April 16, 2013

I will start with kudos to "Ashley", she professionally and fairly handled the 1 night cancellation I requested. I was expecting the usual load of cancellation garbage, but it appears that H.I.E. (Natn'l City) understands that travel plans change easily.
Check-in was quick and courteous and as always, my H.I.E. room was CLEAN, modern, comfortable and ideal for a nice sleep (great pillows, comforter and dark, quiet room).
The breakfast was simple, but I was able to find healthy, fresh choices to fill up on. The coffee bar was excellent as well. Ashley courteously expedited my checkout and upon exit, I grabbed another complimentary "USA Today" 100% satisfied with this hotel. I will be using H.I.E. at every opportunity.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled solo

Reviewed April 13, 2013

We really enjoy our stay here!
Good location, if you have a car. Short ride to shopping, major attractions,good restaurants.
The rooms are spacious, nicely updated and have a big fridge and nice size flat screen TV.
Among the 3 stars hotels, where we stayed on our California coastal trip it was far the best, we were really sorry to leave after 2 nights.
The check in/out was quick and professional. The free wireless internet was fast and reliable. The free parking spots are plenty in front of the hotel.
The breakfast, which was included was moderate, and ended at 9:30am, which was a little bit early to our lifestyles.
We loved the high quality, firm mattresses of the beds.
I would highly recommend this hotel to everybody!

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed April 12, 2013

Very nice and higly recommended. Very friendly front desk staff. Special thanks to Mireille. She is very friendly and accommodating. The room is very clean and nice. The interior design are very well coordinated. Quality of the bed is very good firm but comfortable.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed April 12, 2013

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with friends
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com
Reviewed April 7, 2013 via mobile

Didn't seem worth what we paid to stay there. But it is quite near San Diego, and it's all about location. A little outdated, and cramped parking. Also watch out when leaving the hotel because it's on a corner where it is difficult to see who is coming on the left. Elevator needs some updating. It rattles. A small but satisfying selection of food for breakfast. The staff was very friendly though, and that was appreciated.

• Stayed: April 2013
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express San Diego South-National City, responded to this reviewResponded May 2, 2013

Dear karrmichael,

Thank you for your review and being so detailed in the good, the bad and the opportunities to improve. Whilst I am pleased with the good comment, We truly value the negative comments as this gives us the opportunity of improving what we can offer. Please accept my apology for the shortcomings you have experienced during your stay. We are continually reviewing the products and service we provide, therefore guest feedback is very important to us.

Again, we wish to thank you for your input and hope to see you the next time you travel to our area.

Krysllin G.
Case Manager
IHGCare

Reviewed April 5, 2013

Usually you get what you pay for, but there are times when you get lucky. I had booked my trip for two days and showed up a day early. The manager was very gracious and accommodated us anyway! The rooms were nice and clean. I was thrilled not to see any bedspreads! Great cable channel choices. The continental breakfast was okay, but there were no sausages. How can you serve eggs, biscuits and gravy and have no sausages? But what I appreciated the most was that were in our room no more than 15 minutes and the desk clerk called our room to check if everything was satisfactory in the room. Now that was a first in all the places I have ever stayed in! The only bad thing I could see was that there was a sulfur/mildew type of smell coming out of the sink after a minute of running the water. Made it kind of hard to wash your face when the smell creeps up on you. Otherwise, it was great for the price and customer service was stellar!

Room Tip: If you don't want to hear thumping on the ceilings in the early morning, I recommend take the to...
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 15, 2013

Tucked away in a nice local neighborhood, the hotel is very neat and clean. The elevators might cause a pause or two as they wobble up and down. Breakfast was adequate, and yes there was hot chocolate available for non coffee drinkers. Bedding wasn't as smooth as some. Welcome late night was kind and helpful. But when I called to see why we could not wirelessly connect to the hotel's wireless Internet, we were told to come down to the lobby and use it there. Hmm. Also, small but awkward, the shower walls had exposed tap screws holding them in. Like the construction crew left them three while the liquid nails dried, and no one has trout to take them out since.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
SD_GM92131, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express San Diego South-National City, responded to this reviewResponded March 29, 2013

Dear Guest,
Thank you for taking the time to review your stay with us. I appreciate your input to our property for it allows us to pin point where we can improve. I apologize for the inconvenience when we were having issues with the wireless internet and I assure that has been taken care of now. I thank you as well for letting me know about the shower walls, I will bring this issue up with my maintenance team. We thank for choosing Holiday Inn Express and we hope to have you with us again.

Also consider these accommodations in or near National City
Super 8 National City Chula Vista
Holiday Inn Express San Diego South - Chula Vista
Comfort Inn Chula Vista San Diego South
Holiday Inn Express San Diego Airport - Old Town

Been to Holiday Inn Express San Diego South-National City? Share your experiences!