Me and my family stayed at this hotel when we were visiting So Cali. I was looking for a good deal while staying close enough to San Diego's interesting areas. This Holiday Inn express satisfied this requirement.
The hotel is located in National City which is the city south of San Diego. It is very close to Coronado (~6 miles away), Balboa Park (~5 miles) and Harbor Dr (~6 miles). La Jolla is a bit far north (~15 miles). In general, I liked its location versus the places I wanted to visit. However, I didn't like the neighborhood that much. It is not the kind of area where you can go out walking and looking for somewhere to eat or shop. But that wasn't a big deal.
The hotel looks new or at least recently remodeled. The furniture looks new and in very good shape. The hotel in general is very clean, and so are the rooms.
In general the staff are friendly and welcoming. But the front desk employee wasn't available when I arrived and took her maybe 15 minutes till she showed up! But when she came, she was very nice and welcoming.
As many Holiday Inn Express, the hotel provides free Internet, free parking and free breakfast which are all pluses to me. However, the breakfast area is very small and there was always people waiting for tables to free up so that they can have their breakfast. Another problem with breakfast was the rate of refilling the buffet. There was always two or three missing items, and I had to ask for a refill which took several minutes. One time, they ran out of cream cheese at 8am! Even though it wasn't a big deal, I can see room for improvement here.
We were given a room with a connecting door to a neighboring room which was occupied. Honestly, it was a bit annoying since our neighbors woke up earlier than us. While I know if we asked to change rooms, the hotel would agree if they had another, it was a big fuss that wasn't worth it for us.
Overall, the hotel is a good deal when visiting San Diego and I would recommend it if you are Ok with the neighborhood.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Experience the smoke-free Holiday Inn Express San Diego South - National City and enjoy our complete renovation that will "awe" you. We are conveniently located off I-805 and are within minutes from San Diego's biggest attractions. We provide a complimentary hot breakfast buffet, free parking, business center, fitness room, an outdoor heated pool and whirlpool. A host of amenities such as plush new bedding, 37" LCD television with cable channels, free wireless internet, refrigerator, and microwave. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Orbitz, Hotels.com, Expedia, IHG, Priceline, Booking.com, Travelocity, TripOnline SA, Cancelon, Hotwire, HotelQuickly and getaroom.com so you can book your Holiday Inn Express San Diego South-National City reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Comfort Inn South Bay Hotel National City
- Comfort Inn National City
- National City Comfort Inn