“Okay place to stay near San Diego”

Ramada San Diego National City
Ranked #5 of 10 Hotels in National City
Reviewed August 2, 2012

I was a little cautious when I read the reviews for this hotel. I booked this through a 3rd party online site. The hotel is located in an okay neighborhood. It is near downtown San Diego. You can drive to the Gaslamp in about 10-15 minutes. When we checked in there was a note from the manager welcoming us to the hotel and advising us of the shuttle service downtown. I thought this was a nice touch. The room was a decent size. It did have a little smell to it but nothing that would not make you stay in the room. The even numbered rooms face away from the bay and if the air conditioner is not running you can hear traffic (very loud). The window did have a stick placed in it so it could not be pushed open. This looked a little cheap. All they need is a $5 window lock from the hardware store to make a better impression and sense of security. Overall, the rooms are clean, the staff was pleasant and the beds were comfortable.

Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
Nicoleh79, General Manager at Ramada San Diego National City, responded to this reviewResponded August 6, 2012

Dear hppygilmore,
Thank you for your recent review on Trip Advisor. We at the Clarion Hotel South Bay are happy that you gave our hotel a visit and saw that our staff are pleasant and that our rooms were clean enough to your liking. We appreciate the pictures that were taken to show what our rooms look like and the beautiful sunset overlooking Coronado bridge. Thank you again and we hope to see you again soon.

There are newer reviews for Ramada San Diego National City

Reviewed August 1, 2012

The staff was excellent at the front desk as well as the shuttle drivers. Only negative is the bathrooms don't have proper ventilation so moisture is trapped and therefore the mold on the wallpaper and some of the repairs on the walls of the bathroom are not patched up well. There is alot of traffice noise and from the central fan in the room so I actually prefer the noise from the fan all night to sleep through. The trolley is about 2 blocks away... we had the shuttle drop off us in the am to Convention Center and took the trolley back as that one time we asked for pickup there was confusion on the pickup spot. Not alot of food places around the hotel so having a car helps.Overall a good place to stay for Comic Con. Also there is underground parking which is better than the above ground parking but everyone seems to park above.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
Nicoleh79, General Manager at Ramada San Diego National City, responded to this reviewResponded August 3, 2012

Dear miss5x,
Thank you for your recent review on Trip Advisor. We at the Clarion Hotel South Bay are very happy to hear how excellent our Front Desk staff was to you during your stay. We do apologize for the moisture that was in the bathroom and our maintainence staff will be checking to make sure that the problem was resolved. Pleased to hear you took full advantage of our complimentary shuttle as well as using the trolley. Do not hesitate to come stay with us for your next Comic Con visit.

Reviewed July 26, 2012

I am shocked by some of these reviews. I just spent 10 days here for Comicon and found the staff and their customer service second to none. All of the hotel staff were friendly, polite and helpful. They even let us stay later in our room due to a late return flight. Joshua the trolley bus driver ensured my daughter was delivered safely to her destination and did not drive away until she was inside. The bar staff were great especially the entertaining batman who sang if you asked for a blue moon. The rooms were spacious and well equipped. Restaurant food was good value and very good quality. The only downside is its location but the trolley bus is close by and the hotel shuttle takes you anywhere within 5 miles. I would recommend this hotel.

Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank Homerwife

Dear Homerwife,
Thank you for your recent review on Trip Advisor. We at the Clarion Hotel South Bay are extremely pleased to hear all of your wonderful comments toward our hotel. We are glad we could make your ten day Comic Con stay a nice and memorable one. We again appreciate all the positive reviews on all of our staff and please come back and see us again soon!

Reviewed July 5, 2012

The property itself was just ok, nothing special. The area didn't appear to be San Diego's proudest moment, but live and learn I suppose. The reason for the 2 stars is the stanky attitude of the guy who checked me in. There are other reviews about the 'blond haired guy' (Joshua) and his lack of customer service skills. The check-in process went ok, things went downhill when I went to my room. The room for the 3 of us was a King room (designed for disabled individuals, hence high toilet seat, no tub, etc). We went to ask for a room with 2 beds, which clearly was not as easy as I thought. The lovely Joshua advised that he was not able to get us an"upgraded room". I explained I didn't need an upgrade, only a room with two beds. Again I was told this wasn't possible since I had booked through a hotel website and he could not change the reservation. He offered to send up a rollaway (for a fee of course). I told him that we would make due with it & that I would check back with the manager in the morning. The manager made arrangements to switch rooms that day, however the lovely Joshua happened to be on duty that evening when I returned from a day of fun and he was not happy about having to provide a new key for me. Bottom line if you have a choice...choose a different place. If you happen to get this location by bidding online, I'm so sorry. Perhaps the lovely Joshua won't be on duty, or at the very least will have a much less stanky attitude.

Room Tip: If there are two people working the front desk & one is a spikey haired blond, wait until someon...
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Al P
Management response:Responded July 12, 2012

Dear Al P,
Thank you for your recent review on Trip Advisor. We at the Clarion Hotel South Bay apologize that we were unable to provide you with great customer service during your stay. With third party reservations, room type changes are unalterable and can cause incorrect room types to be reserved. We always suggest to book your hotel reservations directly through any hotel website to allow flexibility with your reservation. Our Front Desk Agents will be informed of your review as well to continue in keeping the Clarion's Commitment to your Satisfaction with providing excellent customer service. Thank you again for your review and we hope that we can get a second chance with a future stay at our hotel.

Reviewed June 20, 2012

After checking in, found out that the Internet did not connect (9th floor) with cable or Wi-Fi. for 4 days. Consistant complain did not resolve any problem. I (as the guest) was asked to call the IT rep. directly and see if I could solve the problem!! The maintenance people do not have any knowledge how to resolve such a problem.
For my first brakefast (eggs over easy with ham and toast) I waited for 20 minutes!! For my first dinner I waited 25 minutes!! The only place where the service was good was at the bar!!
The Hotel needs lots of maintenance, fixing and remodeling to make it for what it is supposed to stand for. Sorry but I travel a lot and very seldom have encountered such a poor condition of service and hotel performance.

Room Tip: Stay at a different hotel near-by.
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled with friends
3  Thank Josef B
Management response:Responded June 26, 2012

Dear Josef B,
Thank you for your recent review on TripAdvisor. We at the Clarion Hotel South Bay apologize that your stay at our hotel did not meet your expectations. The hotel does provide complimentary wireless internet and has ethernet cables to directly connect for faster internet. We apologize that you were unable to connect to our internet and provided our IT manager to personally try and assist with your internet connections. We are pleased that you did like the service in our South Bay Cantina and hopefully get a second chance to show our exceptional customer service that we offer throughout the Clarion.

Reviewed June 20, 2012

I stayed here for 2 nights recently and was quite disappointed with the experience. The hotel is located in a traffic busy area and the rooms were poorly sound proof. It was really noisy in the room, esp. in the early morning. The rooms had horrible ventilation and I could smell a strong disinfectant scent throughout my 2 night stay. Also, I did not feel safe in and around the hotel because of its "motel-like" layout and the poor neighbourhood its located in.

Oh yeah, there was NO hot water for a couple of hours either.

This is probably the worst experience I've ever had at a hotel.... feels like it should be "2 stars"

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Jay742
Management response:Responded June 26, 2012

Dear Jay742,
Thank you for your recent review on TripAdvisor. We apologize that you did not enjoy your experience here at Clarion Hotel South Bay. Safety is one of our top priorities for our guests and we provide 24 hour surveillance as well as security during the night to continue to provide excellent safety procedures. We do apologize for the noise as well and we hope that in the future we could have a second chance in making your stay a better experience.

Reviewed May 29, 2012

Please read my honest opinion on out recent stay at this "dump." First of all, we drove 5 hours from Las Vegas to get here and tried to check in at 3:00pm which was their standard check-in time. We got denied our room due to the fact that the rooms weren't finished being cleaned yet....okay so how is that our fault? don't you think you guys should have faster and more efficient house keeping staff???!?! not only that but the front staff were rude to my GF and I, no apologies or anything, just told us to sit down and wait it out.....oh yeah, we sure did wait it out, 45 minutes to be EXACT, still no sorries or anything, not even an offer for water to cheer us up and we were damn tired from the drive. The only nice guest services staff that was nice to us was a young girl named Brandy, the rest seemed like they were too good to help out a military couple. Especially the older hispanic lady with the curled long hair and the gentlemen beside her with the short spikey blonde hair, all they did was give us looks like we didnt belong at their hotel or something. We only got our room after 45 mins of waiting after trying to cancel our room we booked 3 months in advance.......freaking ridiculous.

The location of this hotel, let's just say I was born and raised in San Diego after moving to Las Vegas in 2008....and National City is no paradise, it is was locals would call "Ghetto."

Now.....this is what shocked my GF and I the most, MOLD.....mold was visible everywhere in the tiny bathroom, the ceiling...the walls....it was disgusting. The wallpaper was peeling off and underneath was....more mold. We both definitely will never come back to this cheap hotel ever again and would NOT recommend this establishment to any smart traveler out there....please be warned guys.

Once again though, we would like to thank Brandy and Russell for their help and care through out our 3 night stay there, the younger ones seemed to care the most about it's guests. Customer service should always be a priority in this type of business.

Room Tip: just stay away from this hotel and spend the extra money on a quality one, it'll save you a lot...
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank alan b
Nicoleh79, General Manager at Ramada San Diego National City, responded to this reviewResponded June 5, 2012

Dear alan b,
Thank you for your recent review on Trip Advisor. As much as I would like to hear good comments, bad feed back will also help us improve any problems we might have here at Clarion Hotel South Bay. I will look into all of your comments and make sure they are all taken care of. There is never any reason to wait to check in or mold anywhere. I will also make sure that our Front Desk staff are informed about your comments. I hope we will get another chance and see you again.

Also consider these accommodations in or near National City
Super 8 National City Chula Vista
Chula Vista Inn
Chula Vista Inn
#12 of 22 in Chula Vista

Been to Ramada San Diego National City? Share your experiences!