“I can't believe people gave this place 4 stars” 1 of 5 bubbles
Review of Clarion Hotel National City San Diego South

Lowest prices for {0} - {1}
Enter dates for lowest prices
We check up to 200+ sites for the lowest hotel prices
Clarion Hotel National City San Diego South
Ranked #4 of 9 Hotels in National City
Long Beach
“I can't believe people gave this place 4 stars”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 1, 2011

I booked this room last minute, I was on a budget needed something near the San Diego area for one night. I am a simple person I don't expect much from a budget hotel but this place was horrible. The area surrounding the hotel is dirty, a couple of bums make themselves at home near the area. No biggie we just wanted to get inside the hotel, the person at the front desk was polite and quickly checked us in. The room was at the 5th floor, when we went inside it had a foul odor, unfortunately no AC to disguise the smell. The room was clean, but the room could use some maintenance, the doors were cracked the bathroom light was flickering. We took a breather outside, our view was the freeway and Jack in the Box. We were on our way down to SD so we didn't really care as long as we had somewhere clean to sleep after our night out...was I WRONG. We got back to the hotel around 12am, and around 2am-4am our neighbors were having a after hours hotel party. LOUD crazy party, the people in the room started arguing and fighting, I was too damn tired to complain and figured it will cool off but it didn't. This place is located near a Navy base I wonder if these guys were from the Navy. Check out is at 12:00pm I normally relax and check out until that time but this time, I got up at 8am packed our bags and left the room. When dropping off the key they asked how my stay was and I said, "Not good we didn't sleep the neighbors were too loud" They apologized and asked for me to complain next time BUT there will be NO next time. I paid $152.00 for this room, all I wanted was a clean room and a good night sleep instead I got anxiety and lack of sleep.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (52)
Phoenix, Arizona
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 29, 2011

I stayed here because this was the only hotel in the San Diego area I could find for less than $200/night for a last-minute trip. The hotel's location is very convenient to downtown and many attractions, but I was worried about safety. It is in a fairly bad part of town (lots of "no cruising" signs, run-down shops, people loitering on the curbs) and the parking lot, hotel entry, and elevators are not secured. I would not feel comfortable walking in the area surrounding the hotel.

With that said, the room itself was nice, with the exception of hideous orange-gold-brown decor. Everything was clean, the bed was comfy, and there was a working coffee-maker, fridge and microwave. Wifi was slow but available. Housekeeping kept the room immaculate--I was very impressed by that.

The room had a lot of ambient noise--some sort of loud fan/motor was behind the wall, the AC unit was loud, and the toilet would run at random intervals. There was a LOT of traffic noise since the hotel is right off a busy street. Thankfully, all these sounds came together to produce a lot of white noise, so it was less disruptive than it might have been.

There is a cafe/lounge and small business center I did not try, but seemed like people were enjoying them. There is a small pool and hot tub with a secured entry. There were also coin-op laundry rooms.

Overall, this wasn't the greatest place, but I will give them points for a well-kept room and comfortable bed.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled solo
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 19, 2011

Great service, professional, 7 star quality. Great food for reasonable prices. I really enjoyed my stay and I would recommend clarion south bay to Hollywood!

• Stayed April 2011
      Location
      Rooms
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
breefee, Director of Sales at Clarion Hotel National City San Diego South, responded to this review, September 22, 2011
Dear lbyrd1020,

Thank you for such a positive review on Trip Advisor. We at the Clarion Hotel South Bay love hearing that our guests enjoyed our property so much. We also appreciate being mentioned as a "7 star property". That truly means a lot to our establishment. Thank you so much for your kind words and please come back and visit us soon!
Riverside, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 10, 2011

I recently had the pleasure of visiting the San Diego area and chose the Clarion South Bay because it is affordable and newly renovated. The drive to National City from the eastern Mojave Desert was quite the experience my fiancee and I had car problems and ended up spending some of the money that was supposed to go towards the cash deposit- so on top of the car problems we were worried about not even being able to stay in the hotel we booked. I called the hotel about 3 hours outside of San Diego and spoke to Ramon, the front desk attendant; he was very courteous and understanding of our situation and was able to work with us so we could enjoy the hotel for a night (this is top notch customer service, I really could not be more impressed- the staff here saved our whole trip!). The rooms are exterior corridor which is nice in the summer days but in inclimate weather might pose a problem- as for the interior of the rooms I was very impressed! The rooms are large with new, modern furnishings; the bed was very comfortable and the bathroom was for the most part good. Eventhought the 5 freeway is about 1200 feet away you do not catch any noise from it which makes for a restful night full of excellent sleep.

Now, the drawbacks:
Upon check in I learned that they do not offer complimentary breakfast in the morning (I am not sure if this is standard for all Clarion hotels but it would have been nice to have a full stomach before heading out for the day as we were on a strict budget).

When we inspected the room on entry we found a few black hairs stuck to the wall in the shower (not a deal breaker but for someone else it might have been).

Our business in San Diego was going to keep us late- past check out time (11am) so I requested a 2pm late check out (a perk of being a member of Choice Privileges). As my fiancee and I were finishing packing up (at 1:52 pm) we were greeted by a firm rapping on our door by the head maid, we told her that we were almost done packing (at this point fumbling to grab everything because we were now stressed about getting out on time) she proceeded to stand there in the doorway with the door open waiting for us to finish packing- she only partially closed it after I stared at her staring at me for a second. This was kind of rude and intrusive, I understand that it might have been time for her to get off of work but in the hospitality industry the guest is the most important aspect of your hotel and you wait for them, always.

Over all I would recommend this hotel- it is located in a convienent area (on ramp to the 5 north is literally less than a block away). If you are a late making reservations for the Comic Con this place is only a hop, skip and a jump away and will probably have rooms to rent.

Room Tip: Request a non-smoking room an upper floor.
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
3 Thank tsmoore88
Dear tsmoore88,

Thank you for your review on Trip Advisor. We at the Clarion Hotel South Bay are pleased that we were able to accommodate you during your difficult transportation experience to San Diego. Our Front Desk Manager informed Ramon of his terrific hospitality service. I apologize that our hotel does not offer complimentary breakfast but we do have a full service restaurant on property with conveniently reasonable prices. As for the housekeeper incident, our Housekeeping Manager has further looked into the problem and resolved it. We apologize for you feeling rushed. Thank you for your positive comments and we hope to in the future have you visit San Diego and stay with us again!
Portland, Oregon
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 21, 2011

This hotel is a great alternative for people who don't want to spend a fortune. It's near downtown and the airport so it's close to a lot of the great things that San Diego has to offer. I was picked up by the hotel's shuttle at the airport so that was definitely a more convenient way to plan my trip. The rooms were very nice, great for the prices! And the front desk people are great - really fun and helpful!

Also, one of the best things this hotel has is a restaurant! The place is super clean, convenient, and delicious! I really enjoy the food here.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled solo
2 Thank Emily H
Dear hsushi,

Thank you for your review on Trip Advisor. We at the Clarion Hotel South Bay are pleased to hear that you enojyed your stay here at our property. We are delighted to know you took advantage of our complimentary shuttle service that picks up our guests at the airport. Also, it is wonderful to hear you enjoyed our South Bay Cafe restaurant. We will inform our management as well as our front desk team that they are doing a wonderful job. Thank you again and please come and visit us soon!
Also consider these accommodations in or near National City
Days Inn and Suites Sea World
Days Inn and Suites Sea World
#221 of 279 in San Diego
3.0 of 5 bubbles 1,170 reviews

Been to Clarion Hotel National City San Diego South? Share your experiences!