“Cockroach chilled in the tub, but the staff were nice.”

Howard Johnson Express Inn National City/San Diego South
Ranked #4 of 10 Hotels in National City
Reviewed May 23, 2010

Upon arrival the motel seemed very nice and pleasant. The staff were friendly and immediately checked us in. However, once we entered the room, we quickly checked it out and it didn't take long to find a COCKROACH chilling out in the bath tub. I was not impressed in the slightest. I immediately went and confronted the person at the desk and she was very helpfull and put us in a different room without question.

However, the sheets in the other room were covered with cigarette burns even though we asked for a non-smoking room, I guess they just re-use sheets from each room regardless. A fairly good location for drivers, and quite a good price for a one night stay
as a stop over point.

Apart from the sheets and the cockroach, the rooms were nice and clean, although on the small side. Okay for the money, but nothing fantastic.

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled with friends
hojonc, Manager at Howard Johnson Express Inn National City/San Diego South, responded to this reviewResponded June 22, 2010

We are sorry about the recent incident at the Howard Johnson. We have addressed your issues seriously. First we have called in a pest control to take care of the whole wing of the building just in case his friends were having thoughts of moving in. The sheets in question are being phased out. Our first order of new sheets has arrived. We are sorry for the inconvenience of the unwelcome guest in our hotel. We work hard to maintain our rooms and would love to welcome you back in the near future to enjoy all of San Diego’s great attractions and weather we have to offer.

Reviewed January 25, 2010

While staying here, visited Midway Naval Museum, Tijuana, and San Diego Zoo. Easy access and close to Zoo and Museum. Walked (10 minutes) to Trolley to go to Tijuana (30 minutes) - walked across.

Room was functional and inexpensive. Maid service was good; breakfast was a little weak.

All things considered - a good deal.

• Stayed: January 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank dacewa
Reviewed August 3, 2009

Only stayed one night. Made my decision on this hotel based on tips posted here. Room was clean, good cable but bad beds. Extremely soft. Hotel is located near I-5 expressway, there is some noise from it but overall the room was quiet.

There are two entrances to this hotel, the other entrance has a locked gate. There is a warning of not being responsible for cars, but I didn't see any problems or felt threatened.

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled solo
Reviewed July 28, 2009

I recently stayed a few days at the Howard Johnson Express Inn in National City. At first I was concerened about the area, but after my first night all my concerens were gone. I don't know where to start. I was searching for a room on-line not realizing it was the week of Comic Con in San Diego. I came across the Howard Johnson website and found not only they had rooms available but at a reasonable rate. The moment I checked in the hotel manager greeted me and was very polite and helpful. The rooms were in great condition and seem to be recently remodeled. The housekeeping staff did a wonderful job keeping the room cleaned daily. All the employees there deserve "two thumbs up". Howard Johnson in National City will be the only hotel I will stay at when i'm in the area. I only wish I can give them more that a 5 overall rating they deserve it...

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled solo
1  Thank osddop
Reviewed May 28, 2009

The hotel Mgrs all shifts were nice , friendly and helpful. They had good restaurant, sight seeing and travel information. The rooms were neat and well maintained and the cleaning staff did an excellent job cleaning the room. I will stay there again if I go back to that part of California.

• Stayed: April 2009
1  Thank wootsiewoo
Reviewed July 29, 2008

Prior to arriving, we were absolutely terrified because of the awful reputation National City has. We expected the worst. We were wrong!!! The motel was literally right off the 5, in between the rodeway and super 8. Quiet street, not anywhere near the "nasty" of "Nasty City" as the car rental agents called it. The manager Neil was so pleasant and reassuring when we got there. He gave us advice and driving directions to all the SD attractions. The motel looked nice and well maintained from the outside and we could not have been happier with our room. It was clean and inviting, and the housekeeping staff did a wonderful job. The only bad thing was they were fixing the water pipes or something, so we didn't have water for an hour or so. We really only stayed in the room to sleep. The motel was well lit at night, and I did not feel that we were in any danger. For those staying at this (great, affordable, not far from downtown and everything else in san diego)metel , the advice given to us was to not go into National City or the trolley station at night. Drove through during the day, not a pretty sight. Drive up to San Diego (only a few mins away) for food, shopping, and whatnot.

• Stayed: July 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
1  Thank apple106
Reviewed April 16, 2008

While I must agree that eating locations near the hotel were dismal, its not on Hotel row and it is in more of an industrial area. We were very pleased with the hotel and the way we were treated.
We spent 2 nights there, and were gone during the day doing the sightseeing things,. found no dead bugs and had no problem with belongings Laptop sat on the desk during our stay and survived

One exceptional curtesy that I want to note.
there was an older gentleman staying there and when he was checking out, was inquiring on how to get from Convention Center to the airport. Neil, the Manager tried to arrange a shuttle for him from the hotel. when he was unable to get one that could meet the needs of his guest. He offered the gentleman a ride to the airport and refused any payment for this.
I can't say that about many other hotel I have stayed at in my 59 yrs of traveling.
For that point alone, Neil and this Hotel will remain a good feeling for our family. Customer Service is lacking in today's world and Neil's caring goes a long way!!!

If your looking for all the upscale dining and walking around to things, this hotel is not what you need, Location determines pricing,

Simple comforts, a place to lay your head after running all over.and a staff that knows what customer service is, then I have no problem recommending this hotel.

As it is a more reasonably priced motel. we did find many Navy Personnel staying there... If its good enough for the fighting troops. its good enough for me.

• Stayed: April 2008, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank rwb48
Holiday Inn Express San Diego South-National City
Super 8 National City Chula Vista
Days Inn San Diego Chula Vista South Bay
Holiday Inn Express San Diego South - Chula Vista

Been to Howard Johnson Express Inn National City/San Diego South? Share your experiences!