“15 Minutes from Everything”

BEST WESTERN PLUS Marina Gateway Hotel
Ranked #1 of 9 Hotels in National City
Olympia, United States
“15 Minutes from Everything”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 10, 2014

We stayed here to save a couple hundred dollars per night during our vacation visit San Diego. Our visit included the usual tourist destinations in the San Diego area. Turns out the hotel is right off I-5, and is an EASY drive to any park or downtown destination. We never had to drive more than 15 minutes to get to any destination. Even though the hotel is off of I-5, it is not "next" to I-5. We experienced ZERO freeway noise even from our outdoor balcony. As this is a new hotel, the condition was perfect, and the cleaning staff kept our room spotless. The pool is pristine, the cleanest of any hotel pool I've every been in. The only drawback of the pool is that in the mid-afternoon the pool becomes shaded. Use the pool in the a.m. Long story short, this property turned out to not be a "compromise" at all, but a blessing in disguise.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with Best Western

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (98)
  • Korean first
Portland, Oregon
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 8, 2014

I think this is the best deal in San Diego. Clean, nice - no parking fees. People are very nice and I am so happy with my stay. I thought I lost my flat iron and the front desk staff seem to really care. Was glad when I got home and found that I never took it.

Highly recommend this place and would stay here again.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled solo
Memphis, Tennessee
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 2, 2014 via mobile

I was here 5 days for a business meeting and was pleasantly surprised at the size of the room and the decor. Every room has a refrigerator and microwave. Albert checked me in and was extremely knowledgeable about the area and things nearby. It is not on the beach; however, there are beaches less than 15 minutes away by car. The board room is nice (seats 14) has up to date technology. There is also free wifi throughout the hotel. I will definitely stay again!

Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
Red Deer, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 1, 2014 via mobile

I'm still at this hotel. Spent the last two nights here. Bang for buck value at this hotel is high. Located in less-desirable, S.D. suburb National City but hotel feels safe as it is geographically insulated but still accessible directly off the I5.

Great - value, cleanliness*, new hotel, friendly staff, easy access and close to S.D. attractions.

Not as Great - poor wireless internet connectivity in rooms, hot tub cleanliness* (it was not shocked after our first night (bubbles, body oil and slightly malodorous - I relayed this in the am to front desk and they didn't remedy the situation as it was exactly the same last night when I went to use it). Food at on-site restaurant not great but will do in a pinch.

Overall - totally good value but you can find lots of great hotels in better areas with the same value. I've seen hot tub water way worse than this but there's no excuse for it not being shocked every night, especially when being reported by guests.

Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank RedDeerHunter
Huntington Beach, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 28, 2014

We went to a concert in Chula Vista and stayed at this hotel more for the location than anything. But we were pleasantly surprised with how nice it was. They have a great pool, clean and semi-spacious rooms with a coffee machine, fridge, flatscreen TV and desk area. The staff was also very friendly and helpful, they arranged a taxi for us to the concert. WiFi was a bit spotty, hard to keep a solid connection, but other than that, we had a great stay!

Room Tip: We had a "view" of the freeway, so if you'd prefer better scenery, I'd recommend r...
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
Sunnyvale, United States
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 26, 2014

We picked this hotel because we did not want to pay handsome charges to San Diego hotels for weekend rates. But then we discovered the nearby National City port was worthwhile spending time at. Looked like this city was being transformed into something beyond a transportation hub. But it's not there yet, there was not much business around the hotel, we had to drive to the other side for things.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple

5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 25, 2014

professional business environment, clean, reasonable. great place to stay if you need to be just outside of downtown San diego, but still need easy commute to downtown. Convenient train service 2 blocks away. no hassle location without traffic and parking issues. decent restaurant next door and others nearby.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled on business

Mission Bay Park
The Dana on Mission Bay, BW Premier Collection
Hercor Hotel - Urban Boutique
#3 of 20 in Chula Vista

Been to BEST WESTERN PLUS Marina Gateway Hotel? Share your experiences!