“Home sweet home”

Ranked #1 of 10 Hotels in National City
everywhereUSA
“Home sweet home”
Reviewed September 13, 2013

Our work requires us to be away from home 300 days a year. Until this Best Western Gateway was built it was a very expensive and long task to go downtown to stay over for the timeframe we would be doing business in National City. The hotel is run as professional as any 5-star hotel in Las Vegas or Monte Carlo - it is elegant, comfortable, and most of all -- very safe. The restaurant within the property is excellent, the attire is casual and up -- it too is professional. We travel all over the world and we give this hotel a 5-star rating at all levels. This is one of our homes away from home.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank theboatpeople

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (102)
  • Korean first
Palmdale, California
Reviewed September 10, 2013

We enjoyed this hotel to the fullest. My girlfriend and I were visiting the San Diego Zoo for a weekend getaway and the location of this hotel was perfect! it was only about a 5-minute drive form the zoo and the downtown San Diego area, so if you're looking for a convenient, lower-priced, but quality hotel outside of Downtown, but also nearby, this is your place! Room came with a refrigerator, safe, and microwave, and all was extremely clean. Parking was free and the staff was the best. We went downstairs and asked if they knew of a local sushi place and they gave us a place, directions, and even called to make a reservation for us! They went completely above the line for customer service in our opinion and made us feel great. Their name's were Manny and Albert if I remember correctly.
Great place to stay! Recommended!
-Jonathan M.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Jonathan M
Jeff M, Manager at Best Western Plus Marina Gateway Hotel, responded to this review, September 13, 2013
September 14, 2013

Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for staying with us and posting such a positive review on Tripadvisor. We are so happy to hear that you had such an enjoyable stay here at our hotel. We appreciate your compliments and feedback in regards to our rooms, location and staff. Thank you so much for your thoughtful review of our hotel. We really appreciate you staying with us.

San Diego, California
Reviewed September 5, 2013

My past 3 yrs+ I been coming to San Diego and stay at the Marina Gateway Hotel. It has always been very proficient for me. The Rooms are always without a doubt very clean and comfortable. The Front Desk Staff is very friendly and helpful. There is coffee in the morning in the lobby. There may be no real breakfast in the Hotel its self but a few feet way is the restaurant Goodies, which has breakfast at very inexpensive rates and very good. I highly recommend others to stay at this hotel it is convenient, to travel in the San Diego Area; a close to the Border, a great place for families and business travelers.
William R.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
Redmond, United States
Reviewed September 5, 2013

I enjoyed this motel more then all the others. It was more like a destination retreat. The staff was amazing and made us feel very cared for.They looked and acted very profetional. The rooms were perfect. Very comfortable and clean. I'm picky about beds and my bed was very good.Was able to sleep well. The hot tub and pool was clean and the right temp. I will be goig back.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family

September 14, 2013

Dear Valued Guest,

We are so happy to hear that you had such an enjoyable stay here at our hotel. Thank you for taking the time to write a review on Tripadvisor. We appreciate your compliments and feedback. We're delighted you were so positive about our hotel room’s cleanliness and comfort. We also deeply appreciate your kind words about our staff and the service we deliver. It was a pleasure to have you as our guest, and we hope to see you soon in the future.

Loreto, Mexico
Reviewed September 4, 2013

Very happy with the location and price of this Hotel. The bonus is that the staff is profession and very caring of your needs. The rooms are clean and well attended. Close to all the amenities.......All and all a great place to stay!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family

Whigham, Georgia
Reviewed September 3, 2013

I have stayed in many hotels while I am working in San Diego. I live in Georgia but have worked in San Diego for the last 15 years. The Best Western Plus here in National City to me is the most convenient I have ever stayed at. It is very close to the trolley if you do not have a car. If you drive then you are right off the I-5. There are many Grocery stores and malls within 4-5 miles. It is a enclosed hotel so it makes the security is outstanding. The little gym and the pool as well as hot tub make it a great place to stay. The staff as well as the housekeeping personnel are great and have very nice and helpful personalities. The biggest draw to me is microwaves in every room also the refrigerators in the rooms. I especially like the computer desk, the nice arm chair and ottoman, and the big flat screen TV in every room. Truly a nice place for the money.

Room Tip: There is no free breakfast offered. Ask to stay on the side away from the restaurant/slash bar. Du...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
santa fe springs, United States
Reviewed September 3, 2013

I was extremely disappointed in my stay. When I arrived Nicki assisted me, when I asked where the breakfast was she said they did not offer breakfast. I said Every Best Western I had ever stayed at had breakfast of some kind; she said she would see what she could do. The next day I had not heard from her, so I went down to the lobby to ask. She said she could sell me a $10.00 restaurant voucher for $10.00.. REALLLY.,… what good would that do, she did nothing for me…. Then the suite was not a suite, it was a setting area. A ¼ wall separated the two areas, and you could not watch both TV’s at the same time because the interfered. This room should no way be sold as a “suite” they are not. The coffee in the room is bad, went down on Sunday Morning at 9:05 and the coffee service had been put away. Coffee put away on a Sunday at 9:00 really. I will not recommend, and in fact will share my experience with others. For the area this hotel is located in, the price you are charging should offer a lot more. There was nothing PLUS about this hotel….

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with Best Western

Jeff M, Manager at Best Western Plus Marina Gateway Hotel, responded to this review, September 4, 2013
September 4, 2013

Dear Valued Guest,

We appreciate the feedback you provided for our hotel. We are extremely sorry for the inconveniences you experienced during your stay with us. Our hotel does not serve a free continental breakfast, however we do have a full service restaurant on property that is open for breakfast, lunch and dinner. We offer different room rates at our hotel, some rates include breakfast and some rates do not include breakfast. We are very sorry for the unfortunate miscommunication regarding our breakfast; Nikki was simply trying to relay this rate information to you. Our suites come with more space and furniture than our standard rooms, we apologize our suite did not meet your needs. Your satisfaction is important to us and we use the feedback our guests provide us to implement improvements and offer a better experience for our guests in the future. We appreciate your feedback and we hope that you will consider staying at our hotel again.

Also consider these accommodations in or near National City
Mission Valley / Hotel Circle
Kings Inn San Diego
Kings Inn San Diego
#32 of 278 in San Diego

Been to Best Western Plus Marina Gateway Hotel? Share your experiences!