“COMFTY, NEW AND NICE”

Best Western Plus Marina Gateway Hotel
Ranked #1 of 10 Hotels in National City
Reviewed May 3, 2012

Loved our stay at this hotel. It's new, it's modern and it's clean. The staff were friendly and helpful. Each question and request were met with a smile :) The rooms were big and had all the necessary amenities, including very very comfty beds. Never a problem having good a night sleep. The pool area was a bit small, but the jacuzzi makes up for it. They have a great espressomachine in the lobby. The hotel is just a short drive away from several attractions, including city center. If you ever get tired of malling, dining and shopping, the beaches nearby are totally worth the visit.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled with family
2  Thank itchylovescratchy

Reviewed April 27, 2012

Upsides: The hotel was nice, new and clean. All of the furnishings were new, and the entire hotel was clean, neat and had an up to date feel to it. The staff were helpful and accommodating, and the price was very reasonable.

Downsides: the bed was not super comfortable. The biggest downside was definitely the location. We booked in to this hotel for a San Diego trip, not really realizing the location was a bit out of the way. The hotel does provide shuttle service to the trolley stop near by so public transit is available, but slow. On our last night, we took a cab into downtown San Diego - it cost about $20 each way so not really cheap. We did have a car with us so for the most part this was okay - but if you want to have a nice night out involving drinks downtown be prepared for a long transit ride or pricey cab ride.

Stayed: April 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank frewtyl
Reviewed March 28, 2012

we enjoyed our stay there, did not mind the drive from san diego for the price we paid on priceline. hotel was nice and clean

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 21, 2012

We had a balcony room. It was very clean and modern/ new inside. Location is ok if you have a car as we did. I paid about $40 more for a balcony room assuming from the hotel photos this meant a large balcony however it was a very tiny belcony and I'm sure the room was the same as any other without a belcony. I never would have paid extra if I was aware of this beforehand. We could hear people talking through the walls and smell cigarette smoke coming from somewhere outside our room until the early hours of the morning. Wifi worked great, in fact it was the best wifi I have ever used in a hotel, very quick. We would stay here again but in a regular room at a lesser rate. It was a nice very well maintained hotel. Front desk reception was friendly. One thing people should be aware of is that the room doors don't close shut and you have to pull them shut before you go out. We left and came back to find our door was ajar. Luckily nothing was missing. I read in a previous review someone had strange things go missing. I'm guessing kids probably found their way in and took those things, not staff. Also, there was a lack of hot water for my daughters bath around 6pm and we had issues with the heat in the room working properly. We woke up to a cold room and it was chilly at night.

• Stayed: March 2012
1  Thank Missy454
Reviewed February 16, 2012

I can't add too much to the large number of positive reviews about the Marina Gateway already on here so I won't try. The place was immaculate, comfortable and worthy of the high rating that it possesses.

BUT: If you are thinking of using the hotel for a holiday in San Diego, you should be aware that if you don't have a car you could find the place very isolated.

The hotel is not in San Diego, but in National City, located about 7 miles outside downtown SD on the I-5. The main purpose of the area appears to be a huge car import and sales lot. The main road from the hotel - the aptly named "Mile of Cars" is exactly that. Although there are a couple of places for fast food (including Busters, which is attached to the hotel) within walking distance there is very little in the way of entertainment, bars, clubs etc anywhere nearby. For those, you really have to go into the Gaslamp quarter of San Diego. There is a transit station between 10 and 15 minutes walk away from the hotel, but it requires crossing the I-5 slip roads and the interstate underpass. Pavements are not well lit which many may find uncomfortable, particularly late at night. You should also note that the last tram blue line back from SD is at midnight from 5th avenue which is about 10 minutes walk from the gaslamp quarter, so unless you want to do a taxi back, you won't be having too many late nights.

For those with a car, getting into San Diego is pretty easy, but unless you are heading for Balboa Park, avoid the I-5 during anytime during morning and afternoon rush hours. It's five lanes of bumper to bumper traffic. Better use the industrial road opposite the entrance, which leads to Harbour Drive. This will take you right into the heart of the tourist area of SD, to Seaport Village, the Midway, Harbour tours, Gaslamp and onwards to Mission Beach and Cabrillo Point.

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled with friends
8  Thank Richy_m_99
Reviewed January 30, 2012

This hotel is fairly new. It is right off the I-5 where it crosses the CA-54, very convenient to get to. We had a room with 2 queen beds on the 3rd floor. We found the room clean and spacious. The staff at the front desk was friendly at check in and check out. Overall a great stay at a good value.

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank shawnCA
Reviewed January 10, 2012

I needed a place to stay that was close to a family gathering and decided to check this place out. There was a little confusion and the wrong room was given. When I went to the desk to speak with the attendant (sorry don't remember your name) he immediately apologized and got me the room that I had reserved. There were no questions asked and I felt that they were very accommodating. I was very pleased with how clean the rooms were. For me the bed was hard but I was happy with the layout and space of the rooms. They staff was very friendly and welcoming! Will definitely stay again. The rate was good for what I was looking for. Will recommend to everyone!!!

Room Tip: If you want a little more space but traveling with little one the king executive room was great. Dou...