“Have a terrific time while sipping your favorite wines!”

Platypus Wine Tours
Ranked #1 of 239 Food & Drink in Napa
More attraction details
Owner description: $110 Wine Tour. Join us on a Platypus small-group wine tour of the Napa Valley, the Sonoma Valley or the Russian River / Healdsburg wine country! You’ll visit four charming, backroads wineries, be served a picnic lunch in a winery setting and learn many interesting tidbits: local history, culture and wine making. Our specialty is intimate, fun and memorable wine tours. This is a social tour for folks who are interested in tasting some of the world’s most celebrated wines, but are not necessarily wine experts. Hotel pick-up included. Tasting fees not included. Last-minute inquiries are also welcome! We offer private tours as well. Did we mention, fun?! TCP-21230-P
Reviewed October 4, 2013

We were so pleased with our Platypus wine tour in Napa this week! Our fearless leader was an adorable and very knowledgable young lady named Samantha who guided us through small, family owned wineries. She was able to answer questions about wines as well as the area. Truly a wonderful day!

1  Thank 34141Kathy

Reviewed October 3, 2013

Our tour in Napa was the highlight of our trip. As first timers to the valley we chose this tour as an introduction to the area and it did not disappoint. Our guide Michelle was a brilliant person with a great sense of humour, flair for life and a genuine love of the area in which she makes her living. She chose smaller wineries which we found to be a more intimate and personable way to fall in love with the Napa area, which we truly did. We had a great time laughing, learning and getting to know the other couples on our tour; all great people with a shared love of wine and good company. From the Canadians from Ontario - well done and keep up the great spirit. "Put another shrimp on the barbie".

1  Thank Wendy T
Reviewed October 3, 2013

My wife and I had an amazing tour with Karl on Platypus tours. As for the tour, I cannot say enough good things about Karl! He is knowledgeable, passionate, and a very kind individual (it’s hard to believe he used to be a cop!!) His warmth rubbed off on everyone in our group and it seemed to me like everyone had a great time. Everyone was talking and carrying on the entire trip and I believe that is a result of Karl’s interaction with everyone. Karl made a point repeatedly to treat everyone like friends and was very genuine about it. The lunch that was provided was excellent, as were the cheese and chocolate snacks that Karl doled out throughout the trip. The vehicle that we used was excellent and very comfortable for the entire group of ten. The main thing I believe you want to hear from me is “Would you use Platypus Tours for your wine tour needs in the future?” I can answer that question with a resounding YES!!! I would not hesitate for a moment to tell anyone that Platypus Tours are excellent and I would highly recommend.

1  Thank Mike S
Reviewed October 2, 2013

We were unsure of whether to do the platypus or our own thing, and we're incredibly pleased that we chose platypus. Our driver - Mike - was great: funny, informative, generally helping make the experience unique. The whole day visiting small wineries ensured we received much more personal attention and a greater range of experiences than you'd get at the larger wineries.

Reviewed October 2, 2013

I had never been to Napa Valley and only had one day to see as much as possible so I decided an organized tour was the best way to do so. Platypus had great reviews so I booked our group of 3 (my self, my hubs, and my stepfather) about a week in advance. We were driving in from San Fransisco and were told to meet at the Napa Valley Welcome Center at 10:15am. We arrived just after 10 and our driver, Toni, was ready and waiting for us. We boarded the very comfortable bus and met the 2 other couples we would be spending the day with. Toni gave us a brief intro to the history of wine county and asked us some questions about our wine preferences. She also explained that we could purchase a box from her for $10 that we could ship home with the airline as baggage. We were flying southwest so no charge for bags so this was definitely perfect for us. And then off we went.

Our first stop was at Hill Wine Company, which actually turned out to be everyone in our groups favorite stop of the day! We were seated at a picnic table in their olive vineyard and were greeted immediately by our host (I forgot his name but he was amazing!). He really took the time to teach us about the wines, to talk about the flavors, and tell us about the history of the winery and the owner. We sample about 7 wines here and then were given the chance to wander around the grounds and make any purchases.Then back on the bus to our next stop.

Paoletti Vineyards was up next. Toni told us a little about the owner on the driver and he sounded very eccentric. Turns out eccentric doesn't even begin to describe this guy. From other reviews I read, it seems Platypus tours tend to stop here alot making me questions if they get some sort of kick back or something. We sampled 6 wines here, each of which the owner just poured in our glass with no explaination. He barely spoke a word except to say that since we were the first group of the day, the reds had still been in the cooler and so they were served very chilled. I'm ok with a slightly cooled red but these were colder than I would even want a white. We were tasting wines inside, in an area with large tanks presumably used for winemaking but no one mentioned a word about them the entire time, even when asked. After the tasting we were given a tour by Toni of their wine caves, including the world's weirdest collection of marble statues. The owner and his wife couldn't even be bothered to provide the tour. Then we ate lunch in their patio area which was beautiful, which we could have had the wine tasting out here too.

The lunch was provided by Toni and was much better than anyone expected. We had croissant sandwiches with a variety of available toppings, quinoa salad, fruit and cheese, and a tiny dessert. Everything was delicious and there was plenty to go around. Toni also picked up some grapes from the vine to let us taste. Then we were on to our next stop, Rutherford Estates. We were greeted by our host and showed to a large table inside where we were offered the opportunity to do a chocolate pairing with our wine tasting. The wines were delicious but our host was fairly absent, just poured and took off to help other groups. She did manage to ask several times, in a somewhat pushy way, if we'd signed up for wine clubs at our other stops. It seemed very obvious she was only interested in what she could sell us.

Back on the bus, we were offered a cheese and cracker tray as snacks which we passed around very awkwardly while we were driving. They were all yummy and a perfect snack, it was just awkward to pass around and try and serve yourself from. Our last stop was Cornerstone Cellars in Yountsville which was just a little store front that grew their wine elsewhere. We had a wonderful host here named Robert who took a lot of time to talk about the wines and even offered us extra samples of our favorites and gave us fresh baked bread from a local bakery which was great.

On the bus during the whole trip, Toni has been collecting all the bottles we purchased and organized them into boxes for everyone. It was so incredibly convenient and very much appreciated, we didn't have to keep track of any of our own purchases. I also forgot to mention that there was a fridge on the bus full of bottled water and Toni gave us each a bottle after each winery to ensure that every stayed well hydrated. It was very nice. I would definitely recommend this tour to anyone in our position of trying to see as much as possible in one day. It was great to show up at the wineries and be served immediately. However, when we have the opportunity to return to Napa Valley I will visit the wineries on our own so we can visit more stops like Hill Wine Company and less like Paoletti Vineyards.