“Good Home Base”

Ranked #15 of 30 Hotels in Napa
Princeton, New Jersey
“Good Home Base”
Reviewed May 13, 2014 via mobile

We stayed here in May for 2 nights. The property is a short drive to the downtown area. Now that there is Uber there is wasn't that inconvenient.

The hotel had a really nice outdoor area with fire pits that were lit at night. They also had a nightly complimentary tasting each evening in the lobby which was nice.

The lounge had a good assortment for breakfast and also some nice snacks at night. They also had free wine for you to taste in there that was different than what they were pouring in the lobby.

The only thing stopping me from giving the property a 5 is something that happened when we were checking out. We had plans to spend the day in Napa then drive to San Francisco to be closer to the airport for an early morning flight. The hotel said they would store our bags for us for the day. After the bell man came to get the bags and we left the room we saw our bags sitting out in the open in a common area unattended. We sat with them for 15 minutes until the bell man came back! This is not what I expect when we give our bags to an employee of the hotel. We told the front desk and they agreed that is not acceptable. Other than that one problem we really enjoyed our stay.

Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Katie B
Werner M, Front Office Manager at Napa Valley Marriott Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, May 19, 2014
Katie B,

Thank you for choosing our hotel as your home bases during your most recent stay. We are happy to hear that you enjoyed some of our amenities and had the opportunity to experience the wonderful outdoor patio and fire pits. We will use your constructive feedback regarding the luggage and follow-up on that as it is uncharacteristic from our bellman to leave luggage unattended.

We hope to see back in the near future.

Kind Regards

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (354)
  • Korean first
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Reviewed May 12, 2014

I have just returned from a wonderful weekend in Napa. I was lucky enough to choose the Marriott Napa for my weekend stay. I cannot begin to say enough about the staff at this property. From checkin to checkout, they were so helpful with any question or request. Definitely a must in this area!

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with friends
KarenM003,

We are very delighted that you chose us for your stay. I will make sure that our team knows your appreciation as we pride ourselves on delivering phenomenal service. Please come see us again in the near future.

california
Reviewed May 8, 2014

When our favorite, the Westin, was booked solid the weekend of a special event, my husband booked the Marriot. There were highs and lows during our experience but overall this is perfectly adequate place to stay on business. While the location is not the best, nothing within walking distance and too close to a poorer section of town, the hotel itself is very safe. The hallways suffer with loud red carpets, low ceiling, and dim lighting. This could be remedied with a few well placed mirrors but, as my husbands says, If you have seen one Marriot you have seen them all. They have but a single plan and stick with it working or not!"

What WORKED:
1. A lovely Concierge who introduced herself during the wine hour and asked if we might need maps of the area or if there was something she could do for us. This has never happened anywhere else I have ever stayed.
2. Wine hour featuring a Napa valley winery, a jazz trio on the patio, and a selection of green and black olives to snack on.
3. Very quiet rooms - no noise from the hall, no television or conversation to be heard from other rooms.
4. Very soft beds - I want to purchase the pillow top mattress pads they used.
5. Free breakfast that included anything on the menu. The thick French toast with orange butter most decadent!
6. The wine selection and quality of our dinner at the very small hotel restaurant.

What was UNAPPEALING:
1. Hair on the bottom of the toilet that was a different shade than my husband's or mine.
2.Four large dings in the side of the tub that looked as if a patron in steel toed boats had gone wild in drunken rage. Two of the dings had been filled with a substance that did not match the tub color and tow of the dings left unrepaired. It was not unsanitary but rather off putting when one is paying $400 a night!
3. Mystery smudges on the floor and floor edge tiles under the sink. Did someone spilled their makeup case and the maid turn a blind eye to the mess?
4. A full length mirror that gives the shocking ability to view one's seated upon the toilet!
5. Poor ventilation in the bathroom area. The mirrors remained misted and the room to humid to fix one's hair.
6. Tired bed linens: the sheets smelled strongly of chlorine bleach, the bed skirt was snagged in several places, the comforter is not longer white or cream but rather seems a pale victim of "creeping grey."
7. Seriously stained deck furniture. I'm not prima donna but AI would not sit on the first chair we found as its once orange cushions were now covered in an assortment of black and brown stains. * NOTE TO STAFF: you will find spray on water proof treatment at your local hardware store. After application, spills come off with the mere spray of a garden hose. Even red wine does not leave a stain!
8. As we dined at the hotel bar/restaurant, dripping wet patrons from the pool in various stages of undress bellied up to the bar. I guess I can't blame them. Our waitress not only "missed" part of our order, she disappeared completely for 30 to 45 minute lengths of time. This in NOT the service one expects during a $300 meal.

Room Tip: The Garden rooms over look the pool and a rolling lawn studded with Redwoods. First floor rooms have...
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
2 Thank mbisme
Werner M, Front Office Manager at Napa Valley Marriott Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, May 13, 2014
Dear Mbisme,

We truly appreciate the valuable feedback that you provided us. We are delighted to hear that you had the pleasure of meeting our concierge staff; they always go out of their way to make you feel welcome and comfortable. Your “unappealing” feedback is welcomed with open arms and we are currently doing everything in our power to address every single issue that was not to your satisfaction.

I am glad to hear that you enjoyed the room and the comfortable soft bed. We know how important it is to get a good night’s sleep so you can enjoy the valley to its fullest.
Thank you again for your feedback and we hope to see you back in the near future for another visit to the Napa Valley.

Beverly, Massachusetts
Reviewed May 8, 2014

This property is extremely well-maintained and courteously-staffed. The quality and comfort of the rooms and the location & amenities were only surpassed by highly-engaged, super-friendly employees who made me and others in our party feel like we were the only ones that mattered (even though we could see hints of just how busy they were and knew the hotel was at capacity for the weekend).

My 5 & 6 year old daughters felt like princesses, or I should say mermaid princesses, and loved the stay, too... preferring to spend most of their free time in the warm, heated pool.

Our breakfast/brunch was expertly served and delicious - I selected the Huervos Rancheros that I am still drooling over in my mind. My daughters thoroughly enjoyed the "kids" menu, which were anything, but toddler food... both the French toast and fruit & yogurt presentations were artful and yummy.

As my title indicates, this is one of the best hotel experiences I've had... even when compared against other Marriotts, which typically are tops to begin with... I only wish we could have stayed longer!

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
ChefBW, Exec Chef/F&B Director at Napa Valley Marriott Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, May 12, 2014
Hello Sunshine!
Thank you for taking the time to write this glowing review of your experience at the Napa Valley Marriott Hotel and Spa.
I am thrilled your young water mermaids had a such a great time in our heated pool and that your entire experience throughout your stay was such a winner.
I will share with the kitchen team your raves about our breakfast and we all will look forward to your return visit hopefully sometime soon.
Cheers!
Tucson, Arizona
Reviewed April 29, 2014

My husband and I are long time Marriott patrons. We stayed at this hotel for our 25th wedding anniversary celebration. We appreciated the front desk staff and the new manager. We were treated very well. This was our first time & felt that the hotel was lovely and in a great location. The concierge staff was also very helpful on what to do in Napa Valley. We couldn't have been more pleased! Thank you Napa Valley Marriott!

• Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Debra G
Dear Debra G,

Congratulations on your 25th wedding anniversary. We are delighted to hear that you enjoyed your time with us. We pride ourselves on creating memorable experiences. I will personally make sure that the team knows your appreciation and kind words. We hope to see you back in the near future for another visit.

Frederick Maryland
Reviewed April 28, 2014

The Napa Marriott Hotel and Spa is a great location for you to enjoy your Napa wine experience. The rooms are up to Marriott's standards, clean, large, great beds and friendly staff. Every evening we had a different winery providing tastings and the outside fire pits were a great place to sip wine and enjoy the evening breezes. You are only about 7 miles from Yountville, the food center of Napa and another 3 or 5 miles to the wine tasting region. The concierge desk offers lots of great information. Make sure you ask for coupons for the wineries you are planning to visit as they have some 2 for 1's and dollar discounts although they don't have coupons for every winery.

The lobby is large and there is a bar off to one side of the lobby so you can see all the activity in the hotel. Parking was a little challenging as the hotel was full. All and all a great place to stay. We didn't visit the spa.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
3 Thank rock36662
Sonny K, Director of Sales at Napa Valley Marriott Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, May 12, 2014
Dear rock36662,

Thank you for taking the time to review the hotel. We are thrilled that you had such a wonderful experience and hope to see you again in the near future. Thank you again for taking the time to visit us and share your feedback.

Sonny Kerstiens
Director of Sales & Marketing
Napa, California
Reviewed April 28, 2014

I met friends for lunch on Sunday April 13th for a b day celebration. I looked for Dave who bartends regularly there but he was not working that day. At lunch a few of us ordered bloody mary's I was a little leary ordering it since I knew Dave was not working as he makes the best bloody mary's. Just like I thought it was not good whatsoever. I asked for extra spicy and there was no spice to it at all. It tasted like plain tomato juice. Bring back Dave so I can enjoy one of his awesome drinks!!

Stayed April 2014, traveled with friends
2 Thank bubblygrape
ChefBW, Exec Chef/F&B Director at Napa Valley Marriott Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, April 29, 2014
Hello Bubblygrape -

Thanks for taking the time to offer feedback on your Sunday Brunch experience at VINeleven in the Napa Valley Marriott. I am sorry your birthday with friends was dampened by the disappointing Bloody Marys ordered. We will make sure immediately our Bloody Marys are created with better execution, regardless of who is making them, and hope you will come by and try us again soon. I am Brian Whitmer, our Exec Chef/F&B Director, and invite you to contact me advance of your next visit so that I may personally make sure it is a winner. Thank you.