“Terrible experience. Terrible service.”

Napa Valley Marriott Hotel & Spa
Ranked #15 of 30 Hotels in Napa
Guatemala City, Guatemala
“Terrible experience. Terrible service.”
Reviewed March 24, 2014

Went there for my honeymoon and my new wife´s birthday... but got the worst room in the hotel. The lady in the front desk wasn´t nice or helpful. The room we got was the handicapped room... the bathroom was terribly ugly and the water temperature from the shower was either scalding hot or freezing cold. The A/C was faulty and finally started working at around 3am. Needless to say we didnt sleep well at all.
After complaining about the terrible room we got, we were offered an additional night free of charge.... however all we got was a bottle of cheap champagne at 11:30 am (check out time was at 12)
I never expected this from a Marriott. I´m disgusted and will never ever stay at a Marriott.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
3 Thank PhilipRC
Shawn M, General Manager at Napa Valley Marriott Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, March 25, 2014
Dear Phillip - Congratulations on your recent wedding, and thank you for choosing our hotel for your Napa Valley adventures. I completely understand how frustrating your experience with us must have been, as I too have been in a similar situation during my travels. On behalf of the entire Napa Valley Marriott family, I take full responsibility for your experience with us and apologize with all of my heart. We will do better. I sincerely appreciate your candid feedback regarding your stay, and all issues related to air and water temperature have been addressed in your guest room. This was valuable information to our team, and we have used it to ensure that future guests do not experience a similar situation. In addition, I have just spent time with our Front Office team to ensure they understand how important it is to thoughtfully locate guests celebrating a special occasion. We will do better in this regard as well. Congratulations again on your recent nuptials and we wish you a wonderful life together. Cheers!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (356)
  • Korean first
Davis, California
Reviewed March 23, 2014

We stayed at the Napa Valley Marriott Hotel & Spa overnight as we had booked treatments at the Preserve Spa the next day. Hotel check in was fast and the receptionist was very accommodating as we had requested two rooms and they had booked us two doubles instead of one king and a double. They were able to change one of the doubles to a king and found us connecting rooms - which worked out perfectly for us.
My king room was comfortable. Bed was heavenly and I had a relaxing sleep. The room was spacious and had a door that opened directly to the parking lot - which was convenient when we were checking out as we could load up the car easily without having to drag our bags thru the hotel hallways - but I can understand if some people would not enjoy this.
There was free wine in the afternoon - which was nice.
The concierge helped us make reservations for that night (Friday) that would allow us to accommodate everyone's dietary restrictions.
We did not see the pool or outdoor areas. But, we did have a late lunch the next day at VinEleven - food was great.
The only thing that I did not like was the fee for internet. Would I go back? Yes! Spa was great also.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
Werner M, Front Office Manager at Napa Valley Marriott Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, March 25, 2014
Dear Drusilly,

I am very happy to hear that you had such a great time with us. I am especially glad to hear that we were responsive to your needs and that we were able to accommodate your connecting room request. We want to thank you for staying with us as I am well aware of the fact that you have many choices to choose from around us. We are looking forward to your next visit in Napa Valley.

Kind Regards
dallas, texas
Reviewed March 15, 2014 via mobile

My wife and I went to Napa for a couples getaway during a long weekend. I am a Platinum Elite with Marriott and used to great service with Marriott. This was no exception. The front desk called me ahead of my stay to confirm everything and even though they were out of upgrade able room options for my status they were on top of everything. Monica H. Took it upon herself to go over and above with her customer service for my wife and me. She knew this was a delayed anniversary related trip and surprised me with an upgrade to the Pres Suite and champagne and choco strawberries when we got back to our room. Candidly with my status I am used to upgrades (when available) but make no mistake -she did not have to go out of her way to save this room for our stay. Some people just get hospitality and service and she GETS IT. The place was packed and this was unexpected. Personally the front desk's attitude and personality really frames a property for me and this one has it down in spades. Beyond the outstanding upgrade for my stay - the grounds were great. The spa was perfect. Excellent massages! Really one of the best I've had. Everyone in our traveling party really enjoyed themselves. If this is a consideration for your stay - book it.
Thank you Monica H and the entire staff - it was a wonderful accent to our trip!

Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank nicr1111
Werner M, Front Office Manager at Napa Valley Marriott Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, March 17, 2014
Dear nicr1111,

We are thrilled to hear that you had such a memorable experience with us during your stay. Monica is indeed a very talented individual that truly “gets it” and we are very fortunate to have her on our team. Thank you again for choosing us, we know that you have a wide verity of choices when you visit the area and we are looking forward to your next visit.

Kind Regards
Philadelphia
Reviewed March 9, 2014

This Napa hotel was not even close to a 4-star. You feel like you are staying in a dressed-up motel. You park by your room and each room on the first floor backs up to the parking lot. You look at your window and the view is a big pick- up truck. The shower would turn cold and hot continuously while using it. The hotel has a dark drab feel and it is nothing like the Marriott’s that I have stayed in.

The worst part about our stay was the noise level. The walls are PAPER THIN on every side. You could hear the cars driving by at night outside your window, the carts and drunk people coming home from the hallway, and the snoring and bathroom use from our neighbor. My sister and I did not sleep at all the first night.

When we went to the front desk to ask for some type of remedy, the receptionist (not using any names) was very rude. I rarely complain about hotels on Tripadvisor but this was a big letdown on a girl’s weekend with my sister. My advice – find a hotel that is really 4-star when it says it is and avoid this one at all costs!!!

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with friends
1 Thank danigal525
Shawn M, General Manager at Napa Valley Marriott Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, March 10, 2014
Thank you for your review of our hotel. I sincerely apologize for your experience with water temperature and noise at our property, and know how disappointing it can be when a much deserved getaway does not meet your expectations. Our goal every day, for every guest is to ensure an extraordinary experience in the world famous Napa Valley. We will work harder as a team to deliver on that promise, and I sincerely appreciate you taking the time to share your story.
Santa Monica, California
Reviewed March 9, 2014

This is a fairly large property, pretty pleasant all around. The rooms are fine, and may have attached patio which, while not super private, is very pleasant in most weather.
pros/solid good features:
- very attentive front desk and concierge staff
- food is quite good and reasonably priced; house wines are quite nice
- very well maintained fitness room with 3 treadmills, 3 ellipticals, and several bikes as well as free weights etc. You have to walk outside to get there and there's no place to put your stuff - it gets busy. But all around clean and the equipment is in excellent working order

less than perfect
- indoor restaurant is in the middle of the lobby and is noisy; service can get harried during busy times and they don't seem to staff it properly at the rush times when full
- stocking of rooms can be spotty (first day I got only one glass, no soap, a few other items missing but brought promptly when I asked for them
- silly chintzy policy when it rains - they made me check out and sign for an umbrella (really?) - there might be other things like this?

TIP: Ask for a quiet room away from thourough fares - don't stay on ground floor near the lobby or anywhere else where it's very busy - it can be noisy and while soundproofing between rooms isn't bad noise from the hallway carries loudly into the rooms

Room Tip: Stay away from ground floor near the lobby or any other busy area
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
1 Thank Gringacriolla
Shawn M, General Manager at Napa Valley Marriott Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, March 12, 2014
Cheers from the Napa Valley Marriott and thank you very much for your comprehensive review of your stay with us! I can see why you are considered a senior contributor on TA, as your travel insight is very well written. We like your comments about our fitness facility especially and you will be happy to know we are adding an additional treadmill to accommodate the needs of our health-minded clientele. I also appreciate your feedback on the amenity items in your guest room, and will be speaking to our executive housekeeper about your comments. Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with us, and we hope to serve you again soon.
Bay Area, CA
Reviewed March 7, 2014

We stayed one night at the Napa Marriott as my wife was speaking at a conference there. The check-in was easy(no line) and everything in the room was fine when we arrived. The parking is free, though it may be hard to get close to your room. It has only 2 floors, reducing the amount of traffic. The rooms are ok, with King beds mostly. I found the bed too stiff and the room quite cool. The bathroom had the usual amenities(shampoo, etc.) but the air conditioning was a bit noisy. Others complained about their mini-frig being noisy. It seems to be that the acoustics in the place are not ideal for a hotel. Despite carpet in most areas, noise travels quite far and reverberates. We had trouble with a pair of young gals nearby who seemed to be in the hall giggling and talking loudly into the night. When I finally got up and went outside into the hall, I realized they were not there at all, but in the room next to us, which has a common door. All the noise was coming through the door!
Breakfast was included and slow. The hash browns were quite poor, the eggs fine, and the bacon not crisp as requested. The muffin was good. They serve Starbucks coffee, sometimes in the lobby, but not always. The staff is slow to clean, slow to deliver lunches, but very friendly.
As for location, the hotel in NOT in Napa 's downtown, but right off Hwy. 29(as in freeway). They did have side trips you could take from there but, as we are from the Bay Area, we did not take advantage of those. Train fans will be glad to know the Napa Wine Train goes by twice a day. I loved it.
I do not feel it was a bad place but would certainly recommend a place closer to downtown Napa or further up the wine country like St. Helena(see our recommendation of "Market" restaurant there).

Room Tip: Go for a room NOT facing the highway. Best would be facing the back of the hotel, as the inner ones...
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
1 Thank CABozeman
Thank you for your very well written and candid review of our hotel and your experience with our team. The information you provided on connecting room volume levels and service in our VINeleven restaurant were especially helpful. We pride ourselves on excellence in all areas, and take this type of information as a gift that will assist us in pursuing that level of perfection. We will work harder to be a special experience for all guests, and appreciate you taking the time to share. Cheers!
San Diego, California
Reviewed February 23, 2014

Hotel was very nice. Rooms clean & bed very comfortable. If you do balloon ride they meet at the Marriott and return their afterward for very nice Champaine brunch, so very convenient if staying there. At south end of valley so a bit of driving to vineyards.

Room Tip: Go with garden room
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Jeff L
Sonny K, Director of Sales at Napa Valley Marriott Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, February 26, 2014
Dear Jefflitman,

Thank you very much for your review of our property. We are thrilled that you had an enjoyable stay and were able to take advantage of the balloon ride over the Napa Valley! The champagne brunch really is a great end to that experience, isn't it? We hope to see you in Napa again soon!

Sonny Kerstiens