“Beautiful Napa Hotel & Spa - great experience”

Napa Valley Marriott Hotel & Spa
Ranked #13 of 30 Hotels in Napa
Reviewed August 22, 2013

My wife and I coordinated a trip between her family from Argentina and my parents in Kansas City. We all met in San Francisco and made our way here for a two day Napa winery experience.

From check-in to checkout we had a great experience. So first the hotel ... comfy beds, clean and spacious rooms, restaurants and a beautiful lobby area to unwind and relax. The location is convenient as well.

The staff ... how cool and great are they!! Not all my wife's family speaks English, much of the staff was bilingual making my in-laws feel welcomed and special. It also streamlines our ordering and service as we don't have to translate. This was nice.

We booked far enough in advance we got a nice rate and if time permits I'd go out of my way to stay here again.

Room Tip: no tip ... the whole place seems nice ...
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
Shawn M, General Manager at Napa Valley Marriott Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded September 12, 2013

Hi James! We are officially framing your review. I cannot tell you how much our team appreciates your awesome comments, and what a boost to the smiles around here it has been sharing your feedback around the hotel. We really hope you will come and join us again soon in the Napa Valley. Cheers!

Write a ReviewReviews (1,598)

Reviewed August 21, 2013

If you are looking for the 5 star experience in Napa then this is not the place for you, but if you are looking for a good comfortable hotel to call home base then give the Napa Marriott a try. From the outside the hotel doesn't look like much but inside it has everything you need plus a little bit more. The restaurant and bar area are quite nice and the food is good. There is a concierge level lounge and it is well staffed and has nightly appetizers, etc. The pool area (inside the courtyard of the hotel) is very comfortable and well arranged. One of the nice things about the Marriott is that there is a nice little spa there. It is in a separate building adjacent to the hotel in the parking lot (15-20 feet away) and they have the gym, hot tubs and treatment rooms in it. The massages we got were quite good and the staff was professional and courteous. A nice touch for a Napa trip!!!

The rooms are a nice size and the entire property is neat, clean and well maintained. Are the rooms like a Ritz? No, but there are big, plenty comfortable and just fine. Nice flat screen TV, fridge, etc.

Where the Napa Marriott really shines, however, is the service. I travel quite a bit and I was blown away by the service at this property. From the concierge staff (thanks Jan!!) to the desk to the maintenance staff everyone went out of their way to make sure we were well taken care of. These people get an A+!!!!!

This a great option in a nice location. Worth a visit!

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank David M

Hi David! Thanks for talking so kindly about our rock star staff! I agree that they shine, and it means a lot to us that someone such as yourself that travels so frequently enjoyed the service level at our hotel. We also like that you were able to take advantage of our amazing spa. The team over there really is incredible. Thank you for staying with us and we hope you will travel back over to the west coast soon for another dose of our wine country service. Cheers!

Reviewed August 20, 2013

I'm a big fan of Marriotts. This one was no exception. The hotel was clean with all the amenities, including a pool, bar and a large courtyard. The location put us within a few minutes drive of dozens of wineries as well as the town of Napa. The town is definitely worth a visit. It's only a two story hotel but the surrounding area is generally quiet, so you won't know you're close to the street. The people manning the front desk are well informed and are happy to share details about the area. Make sure you ask what's going on in the evening. Most of the area rolls up the sidewalks early, so check if there is a band or something else to do after dinner. I would stay here again.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Amys_husband

I am glad you are a fan of Marriotts! We really appreciate your loyalty and are so happy that you got to spend some time with us in the Napa Valley. Thank you for taking the time to write about your stay, and we look forward to hosting you again soon. Cheers!

Reviewed August 20, 2013

We booked this hotel via hotwire for $340 per night which I found expensive given that the location is on the outskirts of Napa. However, in most regards, this hotel wowed us so much that we will likely return on our next trip, even if we have to pay full price.

What we loved about this hotel:
-A free shuttle service will take you downtown and arrange a pickup time. We used this to get to the wine train, alleviating any concerns over a designated driver. This also negates my concern over the location.
-Happy hour; from 5-6, the hotel hosts a different winery every day in the lobby who provides free samples of their wines.
-large, comfortable common areas, including lobby, patio, pool and hot-tub
-front desk staff both friendly and helpful; noticed that our 2 rooms were in opposite wings and moved them closer to each other, which can be a huge hassle in other hotels
-very easy access to highway / wine route

The only things stopping me from giving this 5/5:
-The restaurant made quite a few mistakes with our orders for breakfast and dinner.
-low water pressure in showers
-found a half-drunk bottle of water in my fridge
-thin walls; heard 4 different alarm clocks 1 morning (which turned out to be good as I'd forgotten to set my own!)

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank educationtogo

We love that we Wowed you! We also love that our location created the perfect home base for your wine country getaway. I also sincerely appreciate your comments regarding our facility, and will be consulting with our rooms division team to ensure that all of our rooms are in tip top shape and ready for our valued guests. Thank you for staying with us, and we look forward to seeing you again soon. Cheers!

Reviewed August 16, 2013

This was my 4th stay at the Napa Valley Marriott. I was assigned a room overlooking the Spa/Health Club (which seems to be the view I always get there.) The room was quiet, well maintained, and clean. It is a pretty typical Marriott room in terms of bedding and decor. Pleasant, but more in line with a typical business hotel than a wine country resort.

We arrived around 1:00 and the room wasn't ready yet, and we were allowed to check our luggage with the hotel. They said they'd call when the room was ready.

We went and visited with a friend in the area and returned around 4:30. I picked up the room keys and as I was walking to the room, they called to tell me the room was ready. Um, OK, thanks.

We had access to the concierge lounge due to my status, which is always nice. They seemed to keep things better stocked than I found on my last visit. As soon as we entered the first day, the concierge came up and introduced herself and let us know she was available if we needed any planning help. Frankly I always thought that was a little backwards--it seems that she should send an e-mail to all guests before they check in offering advance planning services. We didn't need help, as we were in town more to see friends than visit wineries.

Onto the near disaster. We had brought our own Riedel stemware with us. We had a bottle of wine in our room and the next morning I rinsed the glasses and left them on the counter in the bathroom. The two glasses that are always set up in the room prior to guests arrival hadn't been touched. Our stemware looks nothing like the stemware that the hotel provides--even in their bar/restaurant. As we were walking down the hall to our room, I noticed a pile of dishes outside our door. We had no dirty dishes in our room, which made this odd. Then I noticed two wine stems in the pile. I very quickly had a sinking feeling in my belly. I opened our door, looked at the bathroom counter, and realized they were MY expensive Riedel glasses sitting in a pile of dirty dishes in the hallway. Fortunately they weren't damaged.

I went to the front desk and explained to the very nice CSR what had happened. She seemed rather horrified and wanted to send up a bottle of wine or give us a credit. I told her that wasn't necessary as there was no damage, but I wanted to make her aware so she could pass it on to management in order to help better train the staff about taking guests belongings out of the room.

I took a star away because there shouldn't be dirty dishes from that morning in the hallway at 8:00 pm, and they obviously need to do a better job training housekeepers on touching guest belongings.

All in all a good stay, and I will return.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
Shawn M, General Manager at Napa Valley Marriott Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded August 20, 2013

I love cabernet too! And you cant just put a well developed cab into a regular glass, you need a good Riedel glass. I understand how important that is and I sincerely appreciate you taking the time to provide feedback about your stay with us. I will personally go over the importance of identifying hotel and guest glassware with our housekeeping team, so that we ensure this situation is avoided in the future. Thank you very much for staying with us and cheers!

Reviewed August 15, 2013

Well where to start...
Staff was wonderful. Marie from front desk helped me to my room as my arm was in a brace. She carried my luggage for me when she didn't have to. She was way above and beyond friendly, helpful and most of all knowledgable about her job. I watched one evening while she was working (I was waiting for a computer in front lobby) the front desk and was impressed that she treated everyone so well. Jake was very helpful too.
The room was fabulous! The beds were so comfy!!!
The food was great too! Giselle (?) in the lounge was very nice and often even served us cookies!!!!
Spent many nights at hotels during this trip that turned into a marathon car trip. NO OTHERS came even close to the service and courtisy found at the Marriott.
I hope after reading this, you to will stay here.

Room Tip: I had a corner room on the second level near the spa. It was quiet and large! Huge bathroom too.
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled on business

Hi Theresa! Thank you for taking the time to talk about your stay with us. I will make sure the team members you mention are told about your kind words. Your last sentence is my personal favorite, and I appreciate it very much. We hope to see you back in Napa soon!

Reviewed August 14, 2013

This is not a romantic get-away hotel and spa but a very nice hotel where you can also get spa services. It has a great restaurant, bar and a place to purchase a quick breakfast to go. The staff at the restaurant, front desk and coffee bar were all above average, whatever staff training they have done has paid off, even better than the Intercontinental and Fairmount chains. We were given a room on the first floor and initially told it would be quiet (taking advantage of a good nights sleep away from kids) but it was by the exterior exit door and you could hear it slam which it turns out was quite often. The front desk quickly moved us to a room on the 2nd floor, which was quiet. It's a Marriott so it is above average but not luxury, there are other places in Napa or Sonoma for that but it is a very clean, nice place to stay with all the amenities. Also provide two newspapers, huge plus for me.

Room Tip: Don't get a room on lower floors, the windows face the parking lot.
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple

We love those mini getaways from the kids, and love that you chose to adventure in Napa! As a father of two young ones myself, let me assure you that we will always be here for those valuable nights away from the hustle and bustle of it all. Thank you very much for choosing our hotel, and we look forward to seeing you again soon. Cheers!