WINNER WONDERLAND

Ranked #16 of 30 Hotels in Napa
hawaii
“Good value for Napa”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 19, 2013

First of all, this is a really good base from which to travel in Napa and even Sonoma. I stayed here after a horrendous experience at the Renaissance in Sonoma. But that is a different review. The rooms in the Napa Marriott have mini refrigerators and a very strange nested desk system that will double as a table for eating while sitting on the edge of the firm bed. Room service brings nothing with them to place the food upon, which I found a bit interesting. The closet was very small (10 hangers) in our room and there are mirrors placed at very strange points. When was the last time you looked at yourself in a full size mirror while sitting on the toilet?

There is a complimentary late afternoon 1 hour wine tasting usually hosted by a local winery. Ask the front desk, because not everyone offers the information. I found many of the staff to be excellent with few exceptions.

The restaurant has excellent breakfast, dinner, and pupu offerings and certainly worth a try if you see something you like.

My Complaints:
The spa people were excellent except for the smart-mouth manager The steam room was not kept on so I had to wait for it to start up. I guess I am spoiled by every other spa I have been to in the past. And during our extremely relaxing massage, some idiot was using a leaf blower outside the building. A serious fault that management should address immediately. With all the time in the day to use those noisy 2-cycle leaf blowers, why does someone think it makes sense to use them outside a spa during open hours.

The Starbucks concession run by the hotel was out of Chai for 3 days. What kind of lazy manager won't drag their sorry butt a few hundred yards down the road and "borrow" a box of Chai? But they expect me to go there for a drink?

Room Tip: Ask for an inner room (upgrade?) and you will probably have less parking-related noise. All the oute...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank huhwhyn
Shawn M, General Manager at Napa Valley Marriott Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, July 8, 2013
Aloha from the Napa Valley! It sounds like you had an enjoyable stay, but that there were certainly a few experiences that were not up to our level of service. Thank you for bringing up the situation with our landscapers. You are absolutely correct that we should not have scheduled leaf blowing near the spa during business hours and we are taking measures to eliminate that distraction moving forward. We are also addressing the issue of the out of inventory chai, as that is also unacceptable and I sincerely apologize. Thank you again for your feedback and we look forward to seeing you soon to show you that we have listened to your feedback. Mahalo.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (321)
  • Korean first
Fairfax
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 18, 2013

Decent hotel - front desk staff is pretty snotty but concierge lounge staff is great!
I reserved two rooms. When I checked in, I inquired about upgrades - two of us are Marriott Gold Elite members. My room was "upgraded" (apparently not facing the street). I to,d the front desk person that the other party was also a Marriott Elite member. She agreed that she could "upgrade" the room - admittedly, it did not face the street but instead faced a WALL! Hah. Gee - thanks.
Fortunately, we did not spend much time in the room.
Again, can't say enough about the staff in the concierge lounge - perhaps Marriott should put some of them at the front desk.
Refrigerators in room were a nice addition.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank DD2NoVa
Thank you for being a Marriott Elite member and we really appreciate your feedback. We take great pride in making our Marriott Rewards Elite members feel special and it sounds like we missed the mark. I am so sorry for your experience, but please know that we will use your review as a training tool for our staff. We're very pleased that your experience in other areas of the hotel were more indicative of our standard level of service and we will be sure to celebrate your comments with our concierge lounge staff. Cheers!
Avon, Indiana
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 18, 2013

In following with the rest of Napa, this property does not look like the typical Marriott . . . it's only a few stories high. The layout worked for me, but I could see a few downfalls if the weather was not as favorable.

The fitness facility was quite nice (stocked with towels and water, lots of equipment to choose from) but it was in a building that was separate from the hotel. Just a short walk across the parking lot, but not ideal if the weather had been rainy or cold . . . also not ideal as a single female walking around late at night.

Check-in was great and the associate was enthusiastic about the property and the area. The lobby was a nice area, good for relaxing or socializing. In the evening, they had tastings from local wineries - pay attention to the timing though, it didn't last long so I missed it:(

The location was away from the main "downtown" part of Napa, but still not far and conveniently right off the interstate. It was also very near an outlet mall . . . I didn't have time to visit, so I can't comment on this. One thing that was quite nice and I did use, was that the property is right down from Evans shuttle company that runs to both Oakland and San Francisco airports multiple times a day each way. $29 each way if you get yourself to their location or they will pick up at area hotels for $45.

Rooms were nice and the property overall was good . . . didn't quite feel like a "resort" as compared to some of the other properties in the area or some other Marriott resorts, but was still a good property and I'd recommend it.

Best option for a Marriott property in Napa. Not for drive north to many wineries or south into the heart of Napa.

Room Tip: Request a specific area in the hotel if you want to be near the fitness room!
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank amylister
Amy- As a TripAdvisor "Top Contributor" you must travel often and we truly appreciate the fact that you rated us so highly. We especially appreciated the comments about our staff being enthusiastic about our hotel and the area as we view our associates as ambassadors to the Napa Valley experience. Thanks again we hope you have a great summer. Cheers!
San Ramon, Ca.
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 18, 2013

I've stayed at the Napa Valley Marriott over the years for both business and pleasure. The location is close enough to many of the wineries that this makes a great starting and ending point to a wine tasting day. The restaurant and bar are excellent and they taste local wineries many evenings during the week.

Room Tip: Try to get on the pool side as the view is better.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank TheBigChu
Thank you so much for your continued patronage. We appreciate your comments about our VINeleven Restaurant & Bar and our nightly wine reception. We hope to see you again soon!
Alameda, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 18, 2013

I have been staying at this hotel every August for the past 15 years. The changes that they have done are extraordinary. They have transformed the hotel into a 1st class hotel. The service of the staff goes above and beyond as well as the exprience they provide is worth the money. The hotel is centrally located to the wineries and downtown Napa.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank Nypete13
Pete - Thank you so much for your kind words. We are so glad that you have been able to experience our transformation over the past few years and appreciate your comments about our wonderful staff. We will be sharing your comments at our next associate gathering. Have a great summer and we hope to see you again this August!
Hong Kong, China
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 17, 2013

My boyfriend and I are doing a road trip down the pacific right now. We stopped and stayed in Napa Valley Marriott for one night and I have to say Rosanna, the person who checked us in, seriously made our day/night. She was high-spirited, helpful and accommodating. We checked in at 10:30pm and having missed our dinner reservation at the Press due to our impromptu decision to hit the Pentaluma Premium Outlets, we were starving and Rosanna suggested we eat at the hotel's restaurant - VinEleven. It was the best decision ever. I come from Hong Kong with LOTS of good restaurants and I have to say Vin Eleven is now my FAVE restaurant. We ordered everything they had on the menu. We had 2 rounds of oysters because they were SO fresh; mussels; salad; ribeye (best ribeye EVER); cheesecake and THE WINE (one white and one red).... EVERYTHING was perfect. Good food aside, in the middle of our amazing and very satisfying dinner, Rosanna came by and gave us a $50 coupon due to some mishap we had with finding our hotel room. Seriously felt like we won the jackpot! :)

For the price, ambiance, service and quality of food, you're getting top notch stuff. Because it was so good, we had VinEleven for breakfast as well and I have to say they did a good job in that aspect as well..

The only "bad" thing I could point say is that we didn't really have any help with the luggage and since the marriott here is relatively big, it was annoying having to tug our luggage around ourselves. It would be helpful to park the car near where your hotel room is for easy access.

As for the room, we had a King-size bed. The bed was super comfortable and the hotel was really clean. The experience we had at the Marriott was exceptional and it made it very hard for us to leave. I know the Hotel also has a spa-side but we never had the chance to try it out so I can't give my opinion on that. Needless to say, I would definitely go back again. Staying at the Marriott made our first-time experience at the Napa Valley remarkable.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Twistermack
We hope your road trip down the Pacific coast was fabulous! Thank you so much for the kind words. We will be celebrating your comments about Rosanna at our next associate gathering and really appreciate you taking the time to share your experience with her. We are also so appreciative of your comments about our "hidden gem", VINeleven Restaurant and Bar. We take pride in offering an experience other than the "typical hotel restaurant" and are so glad that you were able to join us. I also wanted to recognize your comment about the lack of luggage assistance. This is certainly not our standard as we typically have bell staff available. We truly apologize for the inconvenience as our property is large and sprawling and I can see how that would have been a problem. Thanks again and we hope to see you again soon.
Manhattan, NY
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 14, 2013

I typically stay at 5 star properties and hardly ever at Marriotts. I was impressed with this property. It is clean and comfortable with a great price tag and a central location to all the wineries. For a one or two night's stay in Napa, this is your spot.

Room Tip: Ask for a garden room facing the pool
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank MICHELLE M
Miss MMeyer - Hopefully your stay with us will lead to more stays at Marriott properties! We appreciate your kind words and hope that the next time you find yourself in the Napa Valley, that you again allow us the opportunity to serve you. Cheers!