“Perfect... Just perfect!”

Napa River Inn at the Historic Napa Mill
Ranked #2 of 30 Hotels in Napa
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed November 29, 2010

This place is amazing. My girlfriend and I are fans of Napa, we stay there roughly 5 times a year and we have to say that this is by far the most amazing hotel we've been too. Super cozy, romantic and elegant. The room was fantastic with lots of space, quiet and charming.

I purposed to my girlfriend the night we stayed there. I had plans and let the staff know about them before hand. I asked them for a couple of timing changes on the romance package I picked, and they complied with everything in such a professional, helpful and kindly manner.

Everything was perfect.. just perfect! Location and quality was everything. My girlfriend thought the hotel was the surprise I had planned, since it was so elegant, romantic and charming. Then I surprised her further with a couples massage on the hotel's spa. The staff there were equally helpful and the quality of the service was amazing. After that we went for a walk along the river and ended up picking a restaurant just three blocks away.

To top things off they have a complimentary breakfast in bed service that is UNBELIEVABLE.

Things could not have been more perfect. I thank the Napa River Inn for such an amazing and unforgettable day. We'll see each other soon!

1  Thank tcabaco
Write a ReviewReviews (1,350)

Reviewed November 29, 2010

We stayed at Napa River Inn for a weekend get-away and it delivered. Our room was so comfortable and romantic. Everything was very clean and the staff was very nice. We will stay there again for sure and highly recommend it.

Reviewed November 22, 2010

We stayed at the Napa River Inn for our birthday weekend, so it was important to us that our experience was positive. The hotel is dog-friendly and the staff made us and our pooch feel comfortable right away. Our room was beautiful - we had a room with a river view, balcony and a gas fireplace. Despite the rainy weekend, the fireplace did a great job making us feel warm and cozy when we were in our room. We requested a king bed, however, our room has two full beds. I presume we could have been more proactive about making a change, as sharing a bed was a bit tight for two adults, but we liked our rooms so much that we did not pursue a room change. The room was very clean and the housekeeping staff was visible throughout our stay. The hotel is very close (a block or less) to several new restaurants in Napa, including Morimoto and Tyler Florence. Additionally, several highly-rated restaurants were within a few blocks, such as Angele, Celedon and Fish Story. The hotel provided town car service (the bellman was a bit of a crazy driver) to the Napa Valley Wine Train and promptly picked us up when we returned from our adventure. The one complaint is that the hotel is in an older building and you could hear every step and sound from the room above us, including an active child and the housekeeping staff vacuuming early in the morning. I would definitely return, however, and recommend this hotel to friends. The location and helpful service were huge bonuses.

Reviewed November 16, 2010

After some business in San Francisco, my wife flew into SFO and we headed to Napa for a long weekend for her 40th birthday. What a wonderful trip. While the Napa River Inn had many possible packages to pick from, I had so many "things" I wanted to do I had to call them and set up a combination of multiple packages. While we only stayed two nights, out package included tickets to Silo's to see Zoo Station ("the" U2 tribute band), wine tours, the Napa Valley Wine Train Vista Dome for dinner, and lots of other amenaties. Everything, even God providing sun and temperatures in the 70's/80's was wonderful. The service and everything at the Napa River Inn was wonderful, the Wine Train was terrific, and our wine tours were great, but one of my most memorable experiences was meeting the owner of Silo's. Hearing that he viewed his life as near perfect, getting to ride his bike to work everyday, drink great wine, and listen to live music, it was difficult to argue otherwise. On our second night after disembarking the wine train and walking back to the Inn and past Silo's, the owner saw us, and ushered us into Silo's, ushered us to a table, and told us to enjoy the music never mentioning the cover charge and even telling us to "never mind' the two item/drink minimum. THIS is what makes me love our Napa experience and want to come back. I have already spread this story to friends/families and will continue to. What better advertising is there than that. The wine in Napa was wonderful and my weekend escape with my wife was everything I could have imagined and asked for. Thanks to the Napa River Inn, Silo's, Napa Wine Tours, and the Napa Wine Train for helping make some lasting memories for my wife and I.

Reviewed November 16, 2010

We've just returned from a pleasant 3-night stay at the Napa River Inn. We booked a Superior Room in the Plaza Building, with a small deck overlooking the river. It was a good-sized, clean, comfortable, well-designed room with modern conveniences (flat-screen TV, coffee maker) but a traditional feel. With a 3rd-night-free special, breakfast (from the delicious Sweetie Pies Bakery next door), parking and WiFi included, it was very good value for a fall weekend in Napa. It is also the ideal location for exploring downtown Napa on foot: just steps from Morimoto, Ubuntu, Angele and other prime Napa restaurants. Service was friendly and impeccable throughout our stay. We might stay here again in the future, but there were a couple of minor drawbacks that prevented this from being the perfect spot. For one, the hotel allows (welcomes, in fact) pets. This was fine with us, and we were relieved to hear very little barking or whining during our stay. The regular presence of animals does give the rooms a faint smell, however. One of our friends who suffers pet allergies needed to take some Claritin, and we all observed the slight dog odor upon arrival. We didn't really notice it after our first day, so it wasn't too bad. The other issue is noise from guests walking around the rooms above. We were on the second floor, and it was quite loud anytime guests on the third floor would move within their room. This comes with the territory of a historic building, but light sleepers should beware.

Overall, it was a positive experience in a charming and ideally located place.

1  Thank RobinLloyd
Reviewed November 9, 2010

Made reservations for my wife and I to take my mom to hear Kellie Fuller sing at Silo's (with Mike Greensill) on her 70th birthday; saw the discount price for staying at Napa River Inn, and liked the convenience. This led to exploration of other guest options, which resulted in another night's stay.

We had dinner at Celadon, which was beyond perfect. Coordinated with Kellie to sing "Happy Birthday" to my mom, and Keith from Silo's helped arrange delivery of a nice cake (from Sweetie Pies) to our table, and it was a lot of fun for my mom.

Breakfast room service the next day was perfect, as was the lunch service on the Napa Wine Train. The weather cleared up enough for a nice walk around Napa. Then, dinner at Angele was, yet again, perfect.

A big "Thank You" to all the staff at Napa River Inn, and to everyone at Celadon, Silo's, Sweetie Pies and Angele -- and to Kellie Fuller and Mike Greensill -- for making my mom's 70th birthday special and memorable.

Stayed: November 2010
Reviewed November 5, 2010

We had stayed previously in the River Plaza Bldg. and this time wanted to experience a room in the historic Hatt Building. Our 2nd floor room was quiet, just as I'd requested, and featured a canopied King bed with an extremely comfortable mattress. There were 2 arm chairs and a large cushioned ottoman, 2 bureau chests, a writing desk, flat panel TV and gas fireplace. The one small window let in just a bit of light, so the room remained fairly dark throughout the day--but I appreciated the fact that the original windows were retained in this historic bldg. Another charming element was the original tongue and groove wood flooring. Amongst the numerous amenities in our room: an in-room safe, coffee maker, electric tea pot, (2) phones, wine glasses, hairdryer, and lots of nice, thick bath towels. The very spacious tiled bath had a slipper tub for soaking and a BIG walk-in shower with 2 shower heads and fold-down seat (the room was handicapped accessible).

The only "complaints/suggestions" would be to add towel racks since there were few places to hang our towels, and to include a small table in the room where we could eat breakfast. As it was, my husband had to hunch over the ottoman and I just stood up to eat with the breakfast tray on the bed. (Our Plaza room had a table out on the balcony so we were able to have breakfast there). Also, my cup of coffee wasn't very hot when it arrived (an individual carafe would keep it hot), and my breakfast sandwich was a bit soggy.

The 2nd floor had a large, comfortable sitting room that would be quite a nice place for a group or extended family to gather and relax together. The professional service provided by the friendly hotel staff was faultless. We loved the beautifully maintained grounds and lush plantings (roses in November!), the artwork and sculptures on the premises, the charming shops and Silo’s jazz club in the Napa Mill complex, the adjacent River Walkway, Riverfront shops, and the very close proximity to restaurants and other popular venues in Napa town (like Oxbow Market, the Opera House and the Wine Train).

We dined at Celadon and Ubuntu (which were both excellent), and it was also a very short walk to Morimoto, Fish Story, Bounty Hunter, Zuzu, Cole's Chop House and other great restaurants. Be assured that during your stay at Napa River Inn, you’ll be able to park your car (for free) and just leave it there till you’re ready to travel on!

• Stayed: November 2010, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Napa
Andaz Napa
Embassy Suites by Hilton Napa Valley
The Westin Verasa Napa
River Terrace Inn, A Noble House Hotel
Wine Country Inn & Cottages

Been to Napa River Inn at the Historic Napa Mill? Share your experiences!