“Great Group Experience”

GreenLeadersBronze level
Duvall, Washington
“Great Group Experience”
Reviewed July 28, 2014

We came to Napa for my husband's 50th with 10 people, an wanted a nice venue in the heart of the wine country. Napa River Inn was a great choice. I worked with John in group sales to book all the rooms, and he and his team handled everything professionally and efficiently. We arrived to a very nice room looking out over the river. The locations is great for touring the wine country, and there are plenty of nice restaurants in walking distance. The staff was friendly and accommodating, even providing a nice basket of goodies to welcome us and say happy birthday to my husband. The included breakfast is a nice perq to start the day.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with friends
1 Thank Sleddog8

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (339)
San Juan, Puerto Rico
Reviewed July 28, 2014

Great location, friendly staff, great view, though, the river is a little smelly. I traveled with friends, and the front desk guy gave us great tips about wineries and place to visit. Their restaurants, specially, Celadon, was exquisite! The room was very spacious, extremely comfortable bed, fluffy robes and towels. I love the breakfast pastries. On the desk, we found many Napa brochures that were very helpful for our trip. We had a blast!!!

Room Tip: Rooms at second, third floor are quieter.
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled with friends
Reviewed July 23, 2014

I found the location to very near all major Napa restaurants and tasting rooms. The room H207 is a luxury room with fireplace but it was awesome. Tub, two showers, King canopy bed. The most outstanding feature for me was the customer service. I'm hesitant to single out a person in public view because all the staff were great. I particularly worked with a person on staff who helped me with the reservation and she was amazing. I would return to this hotel. Having said that, if you are on a budget, consider investing in this hotel for a couple of nights and then you can stay somewhere cheaper down the road. I found the 2 nights we invested worth it.

Room Tip: I liked H207 but it's one of the pricier rooms. If you are out touring a lot then don't swe...
Green Features: Can't comment. I didn't focus on this as much as we were too pre-occupied.
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with friends
1 Thank Rick D
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed July 21, 2014

Pretty disappointing on all fronts. First of all the river running through this town is not actually a river it is more of a smelly mudflat. Had to keep my doors and windows closed at all times to keep the smell out (not the hotel's fault obviously).
Very disappointed with the room though, cant remember which room it was now (13 or 113 maybe?). But the room was nothing like what was described and pictured on website. We were expecting a lovely little boutique room but instead were greeted with a very average run of the mill motel room, which for the price was a giant let down.
In saying that friends a stayed with had much better rooms (more inline with what is shown on the website) so you never know, you may get lucky.
oh and one of the rooms my friends stayed in was haunted apparently which is pretty cool....

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with friends
3 Thank Jjjjjoseph
New York City, New York
Reviewed July 15, 2014

My family and I had the most enjoyable stay at Napa River Inn during a long weekend exploring the wineries of Napa Valley. The rooms were very spacious, with the most comfortable beds and fluffy robes and towels. I loved the breakfast service. Every night, you fill out a card to select your preferred breakfast items (one hot entree, plus coffee/tea and juice, and pastries) from an onsite cafe and they deliver breakfast to your room every morning! The Inn is also very considerate - when we first arrived, we came upon a wine tasting in the lobby, and the lobby always has fresh cucumber (or was it lime?) water and fresh fruits for guests. The rooms come with corkscrews and wine glasses.

The Inn is within walkable distance to the town center and to all the riverfront dining and shops. Would definitely recommend! Plus, there's a cute little gym.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Sara Brooks G M, General Manager at Napa River Inn at the Historic Napa Mill, responded to this review, July 17, 2014
Dear Picotin W,

New Yorkers are known for their discerning taste -- especially when it comes to food, travel, and comfort. It was lovely to hear your appreciation for the details. A comfortable bed, a delightful robe, and a nice breakfast seem like luxuries, but really are the small pleasures that make up a good life.

Thank you for choosing the Napa River Inn on your recent trip to Napa. We hope that you will be back.

Yours truly,
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed July 14, 2014

Napa River Inn at the Historic Napa Mill is perfectly located in revitalized Downtown Napa's Riverfront District. The location is a great launching ground for day trips to the North, or over to Sonoma. I have always stayed in Yountville, or Sonoma, so this was a first. Though you can't compare downtown Napa to the charms of small town Yountville, or lovely St. Helena, it was fun to experience their renaissance. There are restaurants at your doorstep, including Iron Chef Morimoto's restaurant Morimoto Napa. You are also within walking distance to the Oxbow Public Market, my favorite place to visit in downtown.

Our group had 8 rooms so we were able to experience just about every room type available. There is a substantial difference between the Embarcadero building rooms and the Plaza building rooms. The Plaza building is light and bright with updated rooms. My Plaza Deluxe room had a river view balcony. a king bed and a fireplace. The Embarcadero building has dark walls, dark carpet and feels historic, if not a tad bit dated. All rooms enjoy free WiFi. Guests are treated to in-room breakfast of pastries, coffee (or juice) and a breakfast sandwich or fruit. You can also purchase additions to your breakfast.

The front desk was efficient and nice, but not very knowledgeable when asked for dining advice in downtown. During our three night stay I only saw the concierge one time.

All in all we enjoyed our stay at this hotel.

Room Tip: Plaza building rooms facing the river.
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
Dear Theresa S.

Downtown Napa is a great jumping-off place for small groups. It is centrally located to the other cities in Napa Valley, as well as Sonoma and even the California delta, or San Francisco. Its size has the advantage of being able to fit almost 20 downtown tasting rooms, and as many restaurants -- like the world-famous Morimoto Napa. But, we agree the quaintness of St. Helena, Yountville, and Calistoga is high up on the charm scale.

Our three separate buildings do have very different personalities. The Embarcadero has a more nautical theme to reflect the history of the old wharf that used to ship goods from that location in the 1800s. The Historic Hatt building is more turn-of-the-century (1900 not 2000), and the Plaza is contemporary. Since we are independently owned, we are able to be a bit more individualized in our decor than a global brand would be, and we hope that it mirrors our unique environment.

We are happy you enjoyed your stay. We hope you will be back to Napa soon.

Yours truly,
Saint Louis, Missouri
Reviewed July 14, 2014

My husband and I stay here every year for my birthday which coincides with the 4th of July holiday. You can get rooms overlooking the river which have a great view of the fireworks. The location is perfect for walking to restaurants, tasting rooms, and shops of any kind. You get a complimentary breakfast delivered to your room everyday of your stay. You get to choose your breakfast from a menu from Sweetie Pies Bakery. This year we had a goody basket waiting for us when we arrived with fresh fruit and snack bars. It was a special touch that I don't remember from the previous years. They have complimentary bottled water in the refrigerators that come in handy when you've been wine tasting all day. My rating would probably be a four and a half, but I do have to knock them a bit for not having room service other than for breakfast. While there are many restaurants nearby, sometimes you need a break from dining out. One other thing I noticed on this stay was that the coffee maker wasn't super clean. I am admittedly a bit OCD about cleanliness and the rooms here are always up to my standards, but the coffee maker was not utilized by us on this stay because of the dust and build up. Other than that small complaint, our stay was perfect as usual. I know we will be returning in the future.

Room Tip: I prefer the plaza rooms overlooking the river.
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear Tiffany K.

Happy Birthday! It is so lovely you come out every year to celebrate. It must be kind of fun to have fireworks as part of your birthday tradition.

Just to let you know, we are working on room service for dinner. Silo's nightclub, on the property, has added a restaurant, and they have a wonderful chef who is cooking up some ideas. I hope that by the next time we see you that will be in place.

Thank you for the heads up about the coffee maker, we have taken steps to ensure this does not happen again.

Yours Truly,
Sara
Also consider these accommodations in or near Napa
Andaz Napa
Hotel Yountville
Hotel Yountville
#1 of 6 in Yountville
Harvest Inn by Charlie Palmer

Been to Napa River Inn at the Historic Napa Mill? Share your experiences!