My husband and I stayed a couple of nights at the Napa River Inn after a 2-week long roadtrip from Socal, to Oregon, and back. NRI was a stop on our trip back. We traveled with our two small dogs, so we always stay at pet friendly places. Some places say they are pet friendly, only to find that you get the one stinky, smelly room they reserve for visitors with pets. Not the NRI...we got a standard room, complete with small balcony, fireplace and nice amenities. Upon arrival to our room, my husband, our dogs and I all fell asleep for a few hours (we were so tired from the 9 hr drive from Portland). We woke up in time for a late dinner at a local eatery that had a small area with outdoor seating that we could sit with our dogs.
So yes, we get it: Napa is set up for wine tasting and newly weds, not for people who travel with their pets. Since you can't leave the pets in the room unattended (as is the case most places) and cannot take pets to most restaurants, stores and wineries, there was not a whole lot for us to do in Napa. There are a few wineries that have outdoor seating while you taste wine, but you also have to drive to most wineries nearby (and who wants to drink and drive, right?) Napa can also be a bit on the warm side, so dragging the pooches around all day isn't ideal. Having said that, it was important that our room was super-comfy, because we spent the majority of our time resting in the comfy bed. We grabbed food at local shops and stores and brought it back to our room to enjoy along with a bottle of local wine. The complimentary breakfast is ordered the night before, and delivered to your door at the time you specify on the selection card. A sample breakfast included a yummy scone (fresh from the bakery on site), English muffin/egg white sandwich and orange juice. There is a small Keurig-style coffee maker in the guest rooms.
The Napa River Inn provides charming accommodations in a town set up specifically for wine drinking and haute dining. I guess we could have hired a local dog-sitter for the day if we really wanted to take the wine train, or go on a wine tasting tour, but we chose not to do so this time. I really liked staying at the Napa River Inn, and I would definitely stay there again, with or without the dogs.
Tips: NRI offers the "Very Important Pet" program, which includes pet bowls, disposable waste baggies, locally made pet treats and a doggie blanket. You can sign up for this when making your reservations.
The Bounty Hunter BBQ place on the corner of the 1st street bridge is a great place for pulled pork and a beer/local wine. They have a small seating area outside the front of the restaurant; and although it is a very small area, they are very accommodating to those with well-behaved dogs.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Napa River Inn at the Historic Napa Mill is the perfect central location in Downtown Napa! Just one hour north of San Francisco, experience Napa Valley charm, luxury, and convenience at this romantic Napa Valley historic hotel, nestled in the heart of Napa Valley wine country. Established in 1884 by Captain Albert Hatt, the Historic Napa Mill, a registered Historic Landmark, boasts live entertainment, fine dining, wine tasting, spa, and shops. Whether you're traveling for business or pleasure, this downtown Napa historic inn will surprise and delight. Explore all of the attractions near the Napa River Inn, including: restaurants, wine tasting, shops, galleries, and the Wine Train. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Travelocity, Priceline, Booking.com, Orbitz, Expedia, Cheap Tickets, TripOnline SA, Cancelon, Hotwire and getaroom.com so you can book your Napa River Inn at the Historic Napa Mill reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Napa River Inn At The Historic Napa Mill Hotel Napa
- Napa River Hotel
- Napa River Inn At The Historic Napa Mill Napa Valley, CA