“Neighborhood gem”

Cuisines: Japanese, Sushi, Asian
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Coombs
Description: We ae opening soon in beautiful Calistoga, California, serving the valley since 1997 with the highest quality Sushi and homestyle Japanese comfort food.
Napa, CA
“Neighborhood gem”
Reviewed December 2, 2012

Very good sushi and sashimi plus a varied menu of other Japanese foods -- and at a reasonable price. We had excellent service. I really give this place a 4.5. I return again and again.

• Visited December 2012

Palm Springs, California
“Good Napa Sushi, Service Was Terrible.”
Reviewed October 26, 2012

Sushi Mambo is in downtown Napa and in a great location. The restaurant was nicely decorated and we were welcomed the moment we walked in the door. It was a slow Thursday evening with only 3 tables seated. We sat at the sushi bar and that's when we realized the service was going to be poor. The sushi chef was sharpening a knife, no one else was at the sushi bar. After a few minutes, I asked him if we could order sushi? We started with a spicy shrimp roll. It was excellent and beautifully prepared. But then we sat there waiting for some little bowls for our soy sauce and wasabi After a few minutes, we again asked the sushi chef who was back sharpening his knife. He got us a some bowls. At this time we still hadn't seen a waiter. A young man finally came over to take our order. We ordered tempura and teriyaki chicken rice bowls. We also ordered saki and some japanese beer. The tempura was delivered by a different waiter. It was delicious. Perfectly cooked. Then came the chicken teriyaki rice bowls. The sauce and rice were also delicious and the chicken was very tasty. However, the chicken was extremely tough. What did they do to this poor bird? You had to chew for hours to eat this chicken.

After we had finished our sushi, tempura and well into the chicken teriyaki, our drinks arrived. Mind you, the restaurant was still fairly empty for a late Thursday night. My bottle of Kirin beer was ice cold, I reached for the glass to find it was scalding hot. Clearly it was fresh out of the dish washer. The young waiter took it back, returned about 6 minutes later saying he had placed it in some ice to cool it down. Meanwhile, my ice cold bottle of beer has warmed and I'm finished with my entire meal. Was this the only available beer glass in the restaurant?

Overall the food is very good. We all had a good laugh and found it hilarious that with multiple waiters, a sushi chef, busboy and manager, we couldn't get better service or our drinks with our appetizers. God help them on a busy night.

Go for the delicious food, but clearly spell out that you would like your beverages at the beginning of the meal and soy sauce bowls when the sushi is delivered. If you are in a rush, looking for a quick bite or need to catch a flight that day, I would go elsewhere. :)

I think this restaurant would be a good candidate for that show Restaurant Stakeout, put up some cameras and find out what the staff is actually doing.

We will be back to try it again the next time we are in Napa. The sushi was very good.

• Visited October 2012
Oxford, United Kingdom
“Didn't need reservations”
Reviewed October 14, 2012 via mobile

I don't love being tied down to a set schedule by reservations, so it was nice to be able to just walk into this place and get a table. But I think I know why...the food was just ok. My boyfriend and I both got a bento box special, and it was no comparison to my local suburban Virginia Japanese place.

common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Best sushi I've ever had!”
Reviewed August 25, 2012

Honestly, the best sushi I've ever had. If you are looking for sushi, I highly recommend! I am visiting for 6 days and had to go back! I ordered the San Francisico roll and the Sunny California roll. Both were out of this world! So delicious. We sat at the sushi bar, where they make the sushi right there in front of you. The chef was super friendly, and checked up on us to make sure the food was good. The average sushi roll was around $8. Kind of pricey, but it's Napa.. In California. Nothing is cheap!

1 Thank Am3192
Asuncion, Paraguay
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1,420 helpful votes
“Just OK”
Reviewed August 2, 2012

The location is excellent and the interiors are nice. The service is a bit slow and the food just OK. Price not exactly cheap and more than the quality would let you expect.

• Visited August 2012