“Why are they doing this?”
Review of Ubuntu - CLOSED

Ubuntu
Cuisines: American
Good for: Romantic, Local cuisine, Special occasions, Business meetings
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Pearl
Napa
“Why are they doing this?”
Reviewed May 29, 2013

Ubuntu has been CLOSED for awhile now. Do not know why this name comes up. Its been over a year and I heard they aren't coming back. Rumor has it the owner of the building was greedy and up'd the rent so they had to leave. It was after they got an award, then the female owner of the building became greedy pig.

Visited March 2013
6 Thank RestaurantADay

Bangkok
“Great experience and innovative”
Reviewed February 24, 2013

I love this place and I'm not a vegetarian. This is a pace where meat lovers can enjoy the food without even feeling that something is missing. The decor is nice. It seems they want things to feel natural,using a lot of woods and benches and the place was very open. The food was beautifully presented; colorful with different flowers and flavorful with the spices. I like the concept of using local ingredients and what is in season which is both healthy and environmentally wise.

• Visited March 2012
3 Thank Meredith M
Chicago, Illinois
“Don't bother...”
Reviewed February 5, 2013

I dined here with a group of 6 in August. For days everybody we told we were going to Ubuntu said "omg, its amazing, it will change your life." So our expectations were high. This place let us down big time.

First, we were seated on hard benches at a long table. I might understand benches at a more casual place where they can turn and burn, but this place offers (and we ordered) the degustation. Knowing we'd be there for a while, a member of our party with a bad back requested that we be moved or, in the alternative, that she be brought a chair with a back so she could sit at the head of the table. The agreed to bring the chair. Only it never came, even after asking 3 or 4 times. Strike one.

Second, our party of 6 all prefers NOT to drink chardonnay. We made this clear, and asked that the server pick some whites that would go well with the courses, but please please no chardonnay. He served us only chardonnays. Each time we'd ask him to bring something else next time, but he'd bring over a chardonnay and pour it and when we'd ask sceptically what we were drinking (he never offered us to taste the bottle to make sure it had kept - what?!?!), he'd claim he thought THAT bottle we'd enjoy despite it being a chardonnay and wanted us to give it a chance. Umm... who does this??? When we explained our dissatisfaction at this little stunt to the manager, we had to fight to get the bottles taken off the menu that we didn't drink. We were appalled.

Finally, and perhaps most importantly (although it was overshadowed by these other mistakes), the food really wasn't that great. We were given 4 different salads, and vegetable sides as our 7 courses. No pasta. Not even bread. There are plenty of vegetarian food items that aren't salad or essentially side dishes!! Total failure on their part.

Don't bother. Plenty of places to go in the valley that are not strictly vegetarian but will serve you vegetarian food far superior to this place.

• Visited August 2012
San Diego, California
“Uncomfortable Ambience”
Reviewed February 3, 2013

An all organic vegitarian cusine theme. Interesting food. My only complaint was that the background music was way too loud. We couldn't carry on a conversation with our fellow diners.

Visited April 2012
North Carolina, USA
“wanted to go”
Reviewed December 8, 2012

I had heard of this restaurant from a friend, but everytime I checked their website, it said the restaurant was closed right now. As I am updating and reviewing the places we DID go, I saw reviews for this place. I am disappointed as I enjoy vegetarian food immensely. Oh well, suffice to say they need a web update. I gave it an average rating (you have to put something) because I hear its great, but I didn't try it. Maybe they don't want many people to come.

Visited November 2012