“Price...Good Enough & Convenient”
Review of Wine Valley Lodge

Wine Valley Lodge
Ranked #22 of 30 Hotels in Napa
Reviewed June 8, 2013

Trip Advisor helped us find this motel as the closest available "one night stay" in proximity to where our daughter needed help moving to. All we needed was two comfortable Queen beds, a clean bathroom, coffee and a quick bite in the morning. Most affordable places in the area were either already booked or required a two night minimum for just the one week time frame used searching. I wasn't expecting the Ritz experience, so we were not disappointed. It was nice to have a small refrigerator in our room #24 at the end of the U shaped property....close to the freeway. We had no problem or delay checking in with the very courteous front desk young lady, who provided me with wifi connection information in our late afternoon arrival. She let us know about the evenings downtown street fair event that takes place every Thursday, which we did attend and found a good place to grab a bite to eat @ "Downtown Joe's". We also needed to find a mattress store, which ended up being just a couple of blocks away from the motel...."Mathews Mattresses" where we were able to help our daughter select the perfect set up for the next morning delivery. Our room was clean and fairly spacious. There was a little basket of amenities in the bathroom and free bottles of water in the refrigerator. Only downside was the very old television set did not work, but with our late night return, we were too tired to watch it anyway. The floors were really "creaky" as we walked about....as was the neighboring rooms....but felt lucky to not be sleep interrupted by other guests. The very small breakfast room offered a nice selection of coffee, juices, basket of fruit; bananas, apples and oranges. A small variety of cold cereals are offered as well as bagels, cream cheese, jellies, toast and small individually wrapped pastries. A friendly lady on staff was very pleasant while checking to refurnish supplies and cleaning up messes left by inconsiderate guests. There is a small outdoor swimming pool in the center of the property that appeared to be kept up fairly decent. All in all, we found the $148.19 to be very fair pricing for a clean, comfortable overnight stay. I especially liked the wrapped-sealed plastic glasses and neatly stacked clean linens. This shows consideration in my book, as you don't have to worry so much about previous glass use or what's been used to wipe them with....a small phobia worth mentioning. We felt safe in the area I was first a little unsure about. I will probably re-book again for future visits to see our daughter in a cute residential area a few blocks away.

Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
There are newer reviews for Wine Valley Lodge

Reviewed June 3, 2013

I travelled to Napa with my family and unexpectedly got lost. In the other hand, when we arrived at The Wine Valley Lodge we arrived with an expectation to be disappointed with this motel being the only lodging place with vacancy and we were so glad we were wrong!

This private family own motel has great amenities. They offered bottled water, complimentary continental breakfast, wireless Internet access and parking. Although, I hate to admit the quality of the beds were quite nice, and all at an affordable cost, yet in an ideal location. The Wine Valley Lodge location was in a residential area minutes from the vineyards, wineries, and walking distance to downtown Napa.

The staff that we encounter was sincerely interested in making us feel welcome.

I have never stayed at a lovelier motel! The pool is tiny, but still, there is one.

Room Tip: No Gym on site, but you can always go for a run in the neighbor hood.
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed June 2, 2013

We stayed at the Wine Valley Lodge for two nights during our visit to Napa. Bottlerocknapa brought us to town for a weekend of music. The Lodge is located about a mile and a half from the expo grounds and was an easy walk to the event. On our arrival and first impression of the place was "wow". Very friendly receptionist and beautiful and clean grounds. Checking in was a breeze, then onto the room which was perfect for what we needed for the weekend. The pool looked inviting but we didn't give it a splash, maybe next time. On returning to the room after listening to the music of different acts at Bottlerock all day and into the night, my wife went to open a bottle of wine and discovered that I had not packed a corkscrew (funny how that works) so after calming her down a bit I said I would find her a corkscrew. My first stop was the front desk. Eureka! The same person that checked us in was still on duty and said not to worry that she had one to loan us, and just leave it in the room and room service will pick it up after we check out. Thank you very much. The only reason I rated the lodge a 4 out of 5 was because of the breakfast. The breakfast area was very clean and had the normal array of pastries, cereal, and hot drinks, except oatmeal. There were signs posted everywhere stating "don't dump oatmeal in sink, don't do this with oatmeal, don't do that with oatmeal," etc. But no sign of oatmeal anywhere. I asked the morning staff person about it, and her answer was "I don't know but they stopped delivering it a couple of weeks ago". Ok so we skip breakfast until we get to town. At the end of the day the Wine Valley Lodge is a clean and very reasonable place to stay while in Napa.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 22, 2013

In helping a family member move, we needed a place to park a pickup and trailer. Napa hotels are generally not friendly towards this vehicle configuration, so we chose the Wine Valley Lodge.

Having lived in Napa in the past, I was familiar with this older facility (it was here in 1971). We stayed on the south side, which is the "renovated" section. Paint, carpet and new tile in the shower, but still the old, Non-HD TV with limited channels. CNN and Bloomberg were the only cable news channels.

The free WiFi had to be rebooted a few times and was generally unreliable. So with limited TV, one cannot even watch Netflix on the laptop/iPad. Calling the office in order to resolve the problem seemed like an imposition on the part of the person answering the phone.

The air conditioner is under the window. It wasn't as noisy as some, but it was just two feet away from the bed, so we slept in a draft.

All in all, not worth the $100 bill (including 14% Napa tax) to stay here again. I'll drive a few miles down the road for a better value and to avoid the traffic and plethora of uncoordinated stoplights that has become Napa valley.

Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Manny P
Reviewed April 19, 2013

We chose this hotel for our one night stay at Napa. We read many good reviews and realized the same during our stay. The lodge is very conveniently located, near to the main road and just couple of blocks away from many restaurants. We checked in at around 10 pm and the person at the reception was very helpful. The room was very spacious and nice. The complimentary breakfast in the morning was excellent, much better than what you get in motels, with fresh fruits and yogurt. The lady at the reception in the morning was very knowledgeable about the place, she gave some excellent tips about some best winery ad also gave us coupons. I would highly recommend this lodge for anyone visiting Napa valley.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank AshimB
Reviewed April 13, 2013

I was very disappointed to see the actual hotel. The photos made it look very nice and the price was perfect as I was booking it over a month and a half prior to going. When I arrived the location itself was not what I expected and besides being a tiny room, it was painted an eggplant color so it appeared even smaller. All that would not have been so bac but when I went to close the bathroom door, there were fingerprints made with what looked like face make-up. This immediate took my attitude of "oh well, it's just one night" to What the hell?? My friend who also booked a room there because I was staying there and we were going to our company convention, also tried to be optomistic about the not great hotel until she realized that her bathroom windo did not even lock! I will definately never stay there again!

Room Tip: Don't stay here!
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business
2  Thank WandaK8
Reviewed April 11, 2013

Without getting too much into detail, we had booked a 4 day trip to Napa and had booked a B&B in the countryside, which ended up not happening. Our flight had arrived 30 minutes later than planned, at 12:30 AM, and the car rental agency was crowded and slow. Needless to say, by the time we found out our B&B wasn't going to happen, it was 3 AM. We were exhausted, driving around Napa for another hour, checking in with every hotel in the area, no vacancy anywhere.

We called up one hotel I found via google maps on my phone, who wanted something in the tune of $300 for the night, which we were heading to, because we were at the point of delirium. As we were driving down the road, there were the magical words "Vacancy" without a NO in front of it. Wine Valley Lodge, an oasis in those twilight hours, had not only the night available but our entire stay! For only $100 more for the entire stay than our planned B&B, we were ecstatic.

The room was an average motel room, but clean, and the bathroom was small, but we were ever-grateful for it! The outdoor pool was nice, though keep in mind, that while it may be 80 degrees outside during the day, once that sun sets, the temperature drops FAST, even in July!

The continental breakfast area was nice, with some good self-serve offerings. The breakfast area gets crowded around 8-9 AM, but clears out in 30 minute bits.

The location is EXCELLENT, right off of major roadways that get you to the wineries, nature trails (go to Muir Woods!!) and wasn't horribly far from San Fran for a day trip into the city (bring a hooide with you for San Fran, even if it is July!)

The staff was excellent, and the hotel was overall in good shape. Don't expect a high end hotel, it's a traditional motel with good offerings. The wifi was a bit spotty, but if they upgrade to some wireless N networks, that should be easily fixed.

Overall, if and when we go back to Napa, we are going to book the Wine Valley Lodge FIRST this time!

PS - If you're looking around for wineries, go to the Castillo di Amorosa, best experience ever, blows everything else away!

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple