“Updated hotel in convenient Napa location”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Ivy Hotel Napa

Ivy Hotel Napa
Ranked #24 of 30 Hotels in Napa
California
“Updated hotel in convenient Napa location”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 14, 2013

This hotel is an upscale Best Western. The rooms have been renovated, and the furnishings are modern. We stayed one night and were satisfied with our stay. Our room was very clean with no worn furnishings. The good-sized but narrow room had a small refrigerator, microwave, and a one cup coffee/tea maker with coffee and tea supplies. Although the refrigerator didn't seem cold, it easily cooled off our two bottles of wine in less than two hours. The room also had a hair dryer, a flatscreen TV with remote, a safe, and two comfy chairs. We had a king bed with plenty of pillows, and the bed was comfortable, a little on the firm side. There was an i-pod dock clock radio which I found difficult to adjust without instructions. We easily connected to the internet while in our room. The inn has a nice pool area and a small lobby with complimentary newspapers. Check-in and check-out were a breeze, and employees were all friendly and helpful. Although the hotel website mentions under "dining" that they have wine and appetizers each day, staff told me that this occurs only on Fridays during the "tourist" season. Breakfast is served daily from 7 to 10. While the breakfast is not gourmet, it was plentiful and varied. They had make-your-own waffles, sausage, scrambled eggs, oatmeal, cereals, grapes and oranges, yogurt, pastries, hard-boiled eggs, cheese, and toasts and breads, as well as two juices, coffee, tea, and hot chocolate. If you don't expect a fancy meal on china but just want something basic to start your day, you will be satisfied. I read other reviews that mentioned noise issues, so I asked for a quiet room. I was given a choice of three. I picked a room that faced the parking lot on the second floor. We didn't hear any noise from outside but found that we could hear the four college students in the next room through the connecting door. I also was awakened by guests at 3 a.m. who perhaps were leaving to get an early morning flight. The room doors slam if not held as they close. This could be a problem no matter which room you choose. I also tried the fitness center and was very happy with the equipment, the temperature of the room, and the ambiance. Towels and water are available, and the room has two televisions. The "business center" next door had a couple of computers and a printer with lots of paper. The hotel is conveniently located right off of Highway 29 as you leave Napa on your way to Yountville. It is on Solano Avenue, which is a frontage road.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the second floor away from Highway 29 and the front of the hotel and the elevator...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Suzcarl

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (124)
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
Los Angeles, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 12, 2013

I had a one-night business related stay here recently and had booked via Priceline, so I did not know the hotel name until I had paid for my room. I stay in a lot of properties via Priceline, especially when it is a last-minute one night stay. Still, I was a bit hesitant when I saw it was a Best Western that had accepted my price. Really? Best Western?

Well, what I have to say is this - if the Ivy Hotel is the face of the "new" Best Western brand I could see myself becoming a quick advocate and frequent guest of the hotel chain. This was beyond a pleasant surprise. The property is a bit out of the way, further north from town which is about the only downside I can see to staying here. The upsides, on the other hand, are plentiful. Free parking. Free hot, cooked breakfast (eggs, sausage, waffles, oatmeal and a host of pastries and cereals). Excellent coffee. Free wi-fi. Free newspapers. In essence, the stuff those more "premium" brands charge extra $$ for are all included here.

The entire property feels refreshed and boutique in nature. The rooms in particular have a truly pleasant aesthetic with hip wall coverings, flat screen TVs and nice furniture. Plantation shutters on the windows. Granite counters in the bath area. Like many motel/motor lodges this has wall unit A/C, but they must be fairly new as it cycled on and off throughout the night and never woke me.

The one area where it does still retain its older motor lodge/motel feel is the sound proofing; the doors are thin and the windows do permit some of the highway traffic into the room. I did not have any issues during my stay with it, but if you are a light sleeper it may be something that you notice more.

All in all, this felt more like what I'd expect from an upscale hotel property (like Kimpton) including the excellent breakfast. The staff were impeccable and friendly and the entire experience was hassle-free. I would rate this a 10/10 for value and convenience and would be more than pleased to return here in the future. They've won me over to the "consideration set" for Best Western in the future as well.

Room Tip: I have to imagine rooms facing the back of the property would be quieter than those on the front. Wo...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
4 Thank SFO-World-Traveller
Chevy Chase
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 12, 2013

Fresh new hotel at the southern entrance to the Napa Valley. Located just north of Napa, it is close to the wonderful wineries and restaurants in Yountville, St. Helena and Calistoga. Large comfortable rooms with all the bells and whistles you would expect at more expensive property. Free breakfast, pool, large fitness center and business center. Nice staff. (We ate at the newish Bottega restaurant in Yountville. Terrific!

Room Tip: Try to get a room on other side of highway.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank neumanco
Sunnyvale, California
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 4, 2013

Stayed here in feb for one night... here's the story

I booked online a week before the stay and requested a ground floor room... on checkin the guy told us no ground floor room avaliable ( generally hotel staff calls and lets us know in advance) we decided to compromise and stayed in one of the upper floor rooms.

Next, the toilet flush was not working... went to call the front desk and realized that the phone was not working... Had to call front desk from my cell phone.... After 10 mins the repair guy came and replaced the flush pipe...

Next realized that the internet isn't working... after about an hours difficulty ( I am into s/w so I know what I am doing) finally got the connection...

Next morning, i told the front desk all of this while checking out , and the lady deducted 20$ for the toilet thing.... Nothing for anything else...

Overall, the room was okay but our experience wasn't...

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank RelaxedVoyager
Nevada City, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 3, 2013

My husband and I stayed here for one night for me to run the Napa Valley Marathon. Great location. Close to the start at Vintage High School. The staff gave us a late check-out and it was very much appreciated. The staff even extended the check-out time, because we got stuck in marathon traffic. Cudos to a very understanding front desk! Thank you!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Jodie L
San Francisco, CA
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 25, 2013

We live in the Bay Area and go up to Napa/Sonoma fairly regularly. We had purchased a Travelzoo deal that the hotel advertised because it had a reasonable rate and we thought we'd try it out since we hadn't stayed here before. On our way to check in I was rereading the voucher: we'd also get a sparkling wine split and three 2-for-1 wine tasting passes. Fast forward to us holding a 187ml bottle of "Cook's California Champagne" and three 2-for-1 passes printed from the website winecountry.com. Now, here's my beef: I purchased the offer because the rate seemed reasonable, not because of the little extras. And the little extras were flat-out insulting: anyone coming to Napa to drink Cook's needs to be thoroughly examined. And handing out passes that I could print myself isn't much better. To put it simply: I would have been super pleased if the "extras" had not been included since they weren't extras at all -- they only made me feel like I was being treated like a rube. So Ivy (if the management reads these reviews), skip on the fake extras if you do another promotion in the future.

What to say about the hotel: it's okay. It's an older motel that's been redesigned. The furniture and bedding have been updated, but things like the plumbing have not. So, when you're sleeping on a Sunday and your neighbor turns on the hot water at 7am, the pipes in your room make a dull roar and wake you up. Another review had mentioned issues with the TV. I turned it on to watch one of the local channels and -- though the TV is a newer HD -- the screen was so pixelated it was unwatchable. We didn't try the breakfast. So, don't get me wrong: Napa is crazy pricey and this place seems like a reasonably priced motel. I was expecting a little more with the "Premier" name, but it just didn't deliver...

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank cyberdouglas
Colorado
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 23, 2013

We only spent one night here. The building is an older, L-shaped, 2-story motel. It has been completely remodeled, with new everything - carpeting, beds, tile, tubs, furniture, etc, etc. The room was spacious and clean and the bed was very nice. That said, you can't make a silk purse from a sow's ear. This is a Best Western "Premier" hotel, which I took to mean, "top notch". It isn't. The pool and hottub are nice, but a long ways from most rooms. That's not so bad, but the hotel does not furnish robes or slippers to get to and from the pool. The hottub was clean and hot, but the jets had no power. The TV channel selection was not much better than broadcast TV with very few channels. Programming information was non-existent - maybe the fault of DirectTV. I had to get a different remote from the front desk to connect my laptop to the TV. The hot breakfast was just adequate and was served on paper plates, paper bowls and with plastic forks and spoons. The eating area had the feel of a fast food joint. With all the lodging available in the Napa Valley, pick someplace else. (The Best Western Elm House Inn is wonderful.)

Room Tip: Keep your expectations low.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple