“Chaotic Process for late checkout-still renovating”
Review of Ivy Hotel Napa

Ivy Hotel Napa
Ranked #24 of 30 Hotels in Napa
Lincoln, California
“Chaotic Process for late checkout-still renovating”
Reviewed April 17, 2011

Late me describe the time consuming inefficient process to get late check out. We made reservations at the Ivy Hotel because of the close proximity to the Cycle for Sight event on 4-16. At the time of our reservation we were told that our request for late check out would need to be made at check in on 4-15. We checked in on 4-15 and made our request for late check out so we could shower after the biking event. We were told to call when we got up. I worried and did not sleep well over needing to call upon wake up. I called about 6 am and could not get the desk to answer.What if there had been an emergency that a guest needed help? Finally after several attempts the last one from my cell phone I reached the front desk. I was told the person on duty could not grant my request for late check out and it would need to wait until the day shift came on at 7. At 7 on the way to the medicore breakfast my request for late check in was granted by the day shift. This was a ridulous way to handle a rountine request for late check out and not good service to jerk a customer around in this manner.
The room was decorated similiar to a bordello with huge teal/sliver geometric wall paper whhich was outdated in the bedroom part which did not match the earth tones of the bathroom. There were no floor boards in the room which further detracted from the bizarre decorating style. I can't ever remember staying in a hotel without floor boards that showed the dry wall. The area between the dresser & the bed was tight and made navigating around the bed difficult. This hotel has a long way to go before it conveys the relaxed luxurious Tuscan feel/style of the Napa Valley.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (127)
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
San Francisco, California
Reviewed April 12, 2011

I was a bit skeptical at first when Hotwire chose a Best Western for my boyfriend and I to stay in, but we chose to 'roll the dice' and that's what we got.

Upon arrival I noticed some plush yellow chairs in the entryway, and the staff seemed warm and friendly and handled our requests professionally. We checked out the breakfast area, which was large, bright and clean, grabbed a cup of complimentary tea and headed to the car to check out the room and unpack.
So far so good!
We opted for a King bed suite on the second floor towards the back of the hotel, a corner room. I was so impressed by the size and decor when I entered the room. It felt roomy and bright. The colors are very modern and updated. Bright blue, dark wood and white. I really appreciate good design and this surprisingly satisfied what I was looking for. A sea of grandma furniture and flower explosion bed and breakfasts are not what I consider romantic. I like friendly and accommodating staff, updated and fresh decor and a comfortable bed and chairs. This hotel delivered!

Continental breakfast was pretty standard, but decent. The indoor seating was abundant and the outdoor seating was lovely. I never felt cramped or that it was too chaotic.

My only complaint is that the toilet seat was loose and the bathroom light needed to be replaced because it kept flickering. I mentioned it to the staff and they seemed to be concerned about it. We only stayed one night so I'm not sure when/if it got fixed. Also, the TV was in a strange spot. But who goes to Napa to watch TV?!

All in all a great hotel for the price. It’s updated, only a five minute drive to downtown Napa and Yountville and the parking is easy! Go for it!

Room Tip: Ask for a second floor room towards the back.
  • Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple
Scottsdale, Arizona
Reviewed March 23, 2011

First off, I would never have even considered staying here had it not been for the TripAdvisor reviews. The reviews indicated that the property had undergone a significant remodel and had been brought up to date. One review indicated that it was a Best Western mashed up with a W. Not sure I would go that far, but it exceeded my expectations in some areas.

The lobby had been updated and was a good first impression. The registration process was fast and efficient. This is where it starts to stray. The elevator was out of order (almost looked permanent, as it never worked in four days). Sure, carrying bags up one flight is certainly no big deal for me, but for some who are not in shape, it could be an issue.

The hallway was dark and somewhat dreary. If the hallway had been redone, I would ask for a refund. The doors to the rooms were certainly not new.

The rooms were a tale of two issues. The bathroom vanity and bathroom itself had been redone, and were basically tasteful. The remainder of the room was somewhere in between. It was packed with furnishings, and they were borderline eclectic. Not bad, but a little unusual. The bed was comfortable and the mattress was newer.

Highspeed wireless is included, and to me that is a bonus.

So, that said, would I recommend staying here? Sure, but be aware of a few misses and relish in the value for Napa Valley. Would I stay here again? Yes, in peak season when the rooms elsewhere go upwards of $350 per night to $1000 per night.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled on business
1 Thank jgregb
Delray Beach, Florida
Reviewed March 22, 2011

I was a little wearly about staying at a Best Western in Napa where there are so many beautiful hotels to choose from but the price couldn't be beaten. This hotel was great! Everything has been updated. The room was very clean. Nice big TV's were also a plus! Overall, I would definately stay here again!

• Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple
2 Thank tdil25
gmivyhotel, General Manager at Ivy Hotel Napa, responded to this review, May 11, 2011
Thank you--- we hope to see you back.
Jeff Perry
San Jose, Ca
Reviewed March 17, 2011

It looks like this has been a major update to get this nice. This is Best Westerns top of the line now. And I think it deserves it.

New Beds, carpet, plans, lawns, and everything else is new at the hotel

I was VERY impressed, the Staff was great. The Elevator was the only item not working. But, it's only two floors. And the bell man was there to take my luggage up to my room.

I will be back !!!

• Stayed March 2011, traveled solo
Reno, NV
Reviewed March 8, 2011

Nicely remodeled hotel. Stayed here on a Sunday night (3/6) and was pleased with the work they have done so far. Very comfortable beds, very friendly staff, convenient and quiet location. They have a business center and fitness room if you need either amenity. I liked the fact that they are within minutes of Downtown Napa and all the wineries in Yountville, Oakville, Rutherford and St. Helena. Easy on and off from Hwy 29.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled with friends
1 Thank LisaInReno
Sacramento, California
Reviewed March 6, 2011

We had a very good, overnight stay on a Saturday. The room was fully remodeled and clean. The bed and furniture were comfortable. Side street was a bit noisy in the AM, so I needed earplugs. The front desk and breakfast staff were helpful and cheerful. Only problem was minor: no napkins and stir sticks for in-room coffee. Location is great: north of Napa, between the north valley to the high-priced restaurants and shopping; or south to Napa where there are less expensive choices.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled with friends