“Wonderful base for exploring wine country”

Embassy Suites by Hilton Napa Valley
Ranked #9 of 30 Hotels in Napa
Reviewed January 4, 2013

I know the hotel has the word 'suites' in it, but we weren't expecting what we got! The suite was as big or bigger than some one-bed flats. The bed was comfy, the shower was excellent and the bath was perfect for prolonged soaking.

The hotel itself was lovely - we got great value from the pool and the daily manager's reception is not to be missed. Breakfast was filling and tasty - if some of the selections seemed a bit strange to our taste-buds. Maple syrup and bacon? We ate in the restaurant both nights and the food was lovely, the wine (as to be expected!) was great and the service couldn't be faulted.

We were on the road side of the hotel but have to say it was a very quiet road and we weren't disturbed at all. All in all it was a great place and close to the vineyards we wanted to check out as well.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
Write a ReviewReviews (2,193)

Reviewed December 28, 2012

We've stayed at the Embassy Suites in Napa several times and have usually had good experiences. This last time they were undergoing remodeling. There was a temporary and tiny lobby, a bit inconvenient but understandable. The breakfast was of the usual high quality but the eating area was quite chilly. The location is close to downtown and the outlet mall. The grounds are very nice. Rooms and beds are comfortable. I was not impressed with the decor of the remodeled rooms.It looked cheap to me. I was also disappointed that there was not a fitness room on site. Given the above, I was surprised that they weren't more competitive on their rates.

1  Thank SusanJElDoradoHills
Reviewed December 26, 2012

Nice amenities including free breakfast. Comfortable beds, good use of space. Great location in town. Now the bad stuff, and there isn't much. They are undergoing renovation right now, so the front entrance to the hotel is closed. All traffic is directed behind the hotel, and the parking is just outside your hotel window, which means, if you want to sleep in, those folks leaving early are firing up the engines right next to your room...like at 6 A.M.!

And if you book a room on the ground floor, you have the convenience of walking a short distance to the breakfast area, but our ground floor room had guests above who tromped around on the hardwood floors at all hours.

Nice pool area. Great for families.

Room Tip: Try to get a room on the north side of the hotel, away from traffic noise. And go for the top floor...
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed December 12, 2012

This hotel has been recently renovated and they did a nice job. This is a good hotel if you are not planning on staying in it for several hours. Our first room was not quite what we wanted (not their fault) and they accommodated us by moving to another one. He advised us that there were not many left to choose from. However, the second room had a strong odor of cigarettes. We figured it was a smoking room and lit candles to mask the smell. The bed was comfortable and room was nice. A little pricy. The complementary breakfast has a good selection of food. I mentioned the smoking room when we checked out and was informed that it was not a designated smoking room. They were very apologetic and comped us a free nights stay in the future.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
Reynaldo Z, General Manager at Embassy Suites by Hilton Napa Valley, responded to this reviewResponded December 17, 2012

First of all, thank you for your review of your past stay at our hotel. We always appreciate hearing from our guests - including when comments help identify ways we can improve. I was thrilled that you noticed our recent renovations and that you liked them. I do however understand that you had a bad cigarette smell in your room. We apologize for the inconvenient smell during your stay and we are happy to announce that we will be converting to all non-smoking rooms in the near future. Again, I apologize if you went through any inconveniences during your stay and I do hope the next time you return to the area you consider staying with us again.
Reynaldo zertuche
Hotel General Manager

Reviewed December 10, 2012

I selected ES because I am a business traveler and have stayed at several ES throughout CA. My wife and I were attending a holiday dinner at one of our wineries where we are members and wanted a hotel with reasonable rates close to the winery. The hotel is right off the First St exit on HWY 29, very convenient. Some may argue it is too close to the highway. It's hwy 29 through Napa, not a bustling freeway with mass traffic, so the road noise issue is minimal.

When I booked the reservation on the web, there was a disclosure about renovations at the property. They were correct, the lobby is gutted and reception is in a guest room, cramped but workable considering the circumstances. The interior grounds of the property are beautiful with ponds, a small cascade, fountains, two white and two black swans.

I believe we received a renovated room, but I am not too sure. The room did seem smaller than most ES and the decor seemed dated. The bathroom was small and the couch was not all that comfortable unless you like your posture half sitting half leaning. The bed was comfortable and the in room microwave and refrigerator is a nice touch.

If you get one thing from this review, the walls between rooms are less than sound resistant. I wish part of the renovation was to increase the density between the walls of rooms. I don't expect soundproof, but to hear clear conversation and other sounds from the room next door is unacceptable.

The atrium where the breakfast and managers reception is located was nice and expected of a typical ES. I find it strange they have a spa on ground but not a workout room. If you want to use the exercise room, put on your running shoes and jog down the block, I guess that is part of the exercise.

Overall, I most likely will not stay here again. I think the room rate is overpriced, but hey you are in Napa. The staff was welcoming, friendly and attentive; but that will not make up for the thin walls and overall appearance with exception of the courtyard.

Reviewed December 8, 2012

We booked this property based on the allegedly renovated guest rooms. NOTHING on the website mentioned that the renovations were still on-going everywhere. There have been Construction Cranes at the hotel this week. Only one elevator bank is working, the lobby is destroyed, the work noise is annoying. The Registration Desk is in a bedroom. Our room is supposed to be new and we were "upgraded". The suites are smaller than at most Embassy Suites. The new decor already looks dated - 1980's earthtones with a drab brown sectional sofa. The mattress is squishy with no support and the bathroom is super tiny with a opaque glass door. Like all hotels these days, there are no bath towel racks. Location is also inconvenient - near the highway noise with nothing within walking distance.

Good things about the hotel?? They have a coffee grinder and whole bean coffee in each room. There is a fridge and microwave. Oddly, there are three separate sinks - one in the bathroom, one in the bar and one in the bedroom. They could have eliminated one sink and made the bedroom seem more spacious.

Room Tip: Don't even consider staying here till the renovation is complete!!! If you must stay here, get a...
3  Thank nahenry
Reynaldo Z, General Manager at Embassy Suites by Hilton Napa Valley, responded to this reviewResponded December 13, 2012

Thank you for taking the time to write a review about your recent stay at our hotel. We appreciate your feedback and we’re very sorry you were unhappy with the guest room. As you mentioned we are currently completing an extensive renovation throughout the whole property. I really do apologize if during your stay, you went through any inconveniences; however, I can assure you that soon we will finish our renovations. I do hope to have another opportunity to serve you, if your travels bring you back to our area.
Reynaldo Zertuche
Hotel General Manager

Reviewed December 8, 2012

I visit the Napa Valley area once a year and have stayed at numerous hotels in the area but once I stayed at the Embassy Suites, my search ended for the perfect hotel. The rooms were recently renovated and the customer service exceeds perfection. It is in a perfect location. The manager's reception is a perfect conclusion to a day at the wineries. There is a beautiful terrace along with the swans who like to entertain and pose for a perfect photo moment. I will return next year. David, you did a wonderful job with my check in.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled solo