“Service will sour your wine”
Review of Darioush Winery

Darioush Winery
Ranked #14 of 190 things to do in Napa
More attraction details
Owner description: A Napa Valley wine experience - uncommon perspectives of the world and extraordinary wines. *Please note we are open by appointment only on Saturdays.
Anchorage, Alaska
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 13 helpful votes
“Service will sour your wine”
Reviewed January 26, 2013 via mobile

I visisted Darioush a few years ago and had high expectations after a great first visit. The owner's story is great and inspiring, but that doesn't make up for very poor service. I should have simply walked out without paying the ridiculous $40 tasting fee. The lack of servce spanned the entire visit from no initial greeting to simply being ignored. The staff openly discussed their distaste for other visitors and the "I've got better things to do" attitude simply soured any pleasant flavor they may have poured. I also found it interesting that they used a "disclaimer" with each pouring, usually something like "it's not good yet, but give it a few months...". Truly dissapointing.

2 Thank SCtoAK

Albuquerque, New Mexico
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 32 helpful votes
“Price does not equal quality”
Reviewed January 23, 2013

With a $35 tasting fee, our expectations were set for high quality wine. We found the wines to be a bit above average, but not worthy of $50 - $100+ price tags. The tasting room is cold with marble floors and 'look, don't touch' items for purchase. It seems that they are trying to get us to cover their building costs by charging high fees.

2 Thank KPBTC
San Ramon
114 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 95 helpful votes
“A pleasant diversion in wineries”
Reviewed January 10, 2013

I imagine most would find this winery very unusual for Napa Valley with it's early Persian architecture and flavor replicated after a temple, but I must admit, it is a refreshing change of pace for the valley to have a very distinct far east oriented winery. It really is a beautiful sight to behold when you come upon it (great for photo buffs). The wines are good and quite expensive, as is the wine tasting flights of $8 (one tasting) to $35 (full tasting) that kind of surprised me so this really "weeds out" many who would venture forth to visit it. While unique? I've as as good or better for far less in both tasting and bottled wine. I'm sure it will appeal to those however, who are seeking a unique experience in wine tasting.

Lebanon, New Jersey
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 25 helpful votes
“Over the top...fantastic spot and GREAT wine!”
Reviewed January 9, 2013

In Persian theme this winery has a fantastic flare. I was helped by Aida Parsa guest services who really went overboard for me. The wine sampling was over the top. I went it solely for their Cabernet and walked out with Ice wine.....I have never had wine this good.I would highly recommend this winery and Aida...

Visited January 2013
HKG and San Francisco, Calif.
20 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 57 helpful votes
“ancient history greets you”
Reviewed January 9, 2013

Walking up to Darioush for the first time, I had a sense of deja vu -- then it hit me: "It's Persepolis!!", a city in ancient Persia that was layed waste by Alexander the Great. Besides the fabulous architecture, they have an impressive gift store, and the wines were plenty good enough to take some home -- along with a gorgeous cookbook.