“Not Yet Ready for Prime Time” 3 of 5 bubbles

JAX White Mule Diner
Ranked #67 of 283 Restaurants in Napa
Cuisines: American, Diner
Good for: Dining on a budget, Kids, Families with children
Dining options: Brunch, Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Napa, California
“Not Yet Ready for Prime Time”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 6, 2014

Like the other local reviewer, I would very much like to see this place knock it out of the park. I loved that they set out to create a place for locals, and they have built an attractive restaurant with loads of potential in a good spot. Our breakfast, alas, was very very mediocre. The food was not hot, and it was sloppily plated. We were seated near the open kitchen and it was clear the staff was struggling with prepping the food. The service was very friendly, and they are very welcoming, but it also needs practice - No condiments ever arrived,e.g.. We will also give them another try in the hopes that after some more time they their feet, which I truly hope they do! Bottom line, though, the food really needs improvement to lure us away from some fabulous favorites nearby.

• Visited July 2014
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank Ikimashyo

Napa, California
“Great new breakfast/lunch spot”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 19, 2014 via mobile

You can not help but be thrilled when a new restaurant opens in Napa! My friend was the one that actually told me about Jax diner, and I said we should give it a shot. I was so glad we went! Although the service was okay (very kind, sincere and fast , but our waitress gave us potato salad although we asked for tater tots). The food and atmosphere is amazing! I am excited that both locals and visitors now have a great breakfast spot to enjoy. (By the way, their chicken sanwhich is amazing too). I look forward to going back!

• Visited June 2014
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
“Great chili”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 15, 2014 via mobile

Had a cup of chili and a order of tater tots. Nothing really special about the tots but were good and large portions. Chili was very good. My friend had the chicken fried steak and liked it. I would go again.

Visited June 2014
Napa, California
“We wish them success, but....”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 8, 2014

We live here in Napa and are always really excited when a new restaurant opens. We've always waited for at least a month to try it because we understand that it takes some time to work out the bugs.
The owners of this diner are hometown folks and we REALLY want them to succeed, and that's why I am writing this less-than-stellar review. Just don't want to see them lose the farm.

The breakfast that we had this morning was NOT good. The hash browns had no flavor and were dripping in some kind of oil/butter....and the portion was pretty small. My omelet, again, was greasy with that oil/butter combo. The sourdough toast was barely toasted, dripping with. you guessed it, that butter/margarine/oil stuff and there was only 1 piece. The orange juice was obviously made from a concentrate and was only offered in one size (small)
The products they are using are not of good quality....at all. I think they may be purchasing most of the products from a frozen food distributor. Unfortunately both of us had cramps and diarrhea within an hour of leaving.
The woman server was NOT at all friendly and never smiled until she collected the money. I had to ask for more coffee, which should never happen in a breakfast house and the person who brought us our food wasn't even sure to what table it belonged.

Napa has become somewhat of a 'mecca' for foodies.....and the locals are now spoiled with all of the great quality, locally sourced products that are readily being offered throughout the Valley . Tourists come and go, but an establishment like this is going to rely heavily on the locals for the crux of their business.
So guys, better quality products to prepare your food, friendlier, smiling servers who are on the ball and anticipate what the guest needs before they have to ask; and management that is keeping an eye on the plates (for quality and portion control) before the plates leave the kitchen.
I WILL try it out at least 1 more time before I decide if : #1, will be one of our go-to places and #2, I will feel comfortable recommending it to the many tourists that I come in contact with on a regular basis...Best of luck!!

• Visited June 2014
3 Thank wendy s
Sierra Vista, Arizona
“Wonderful experience! !!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 21, 2014 via mobile

We walked by downtown Napa looking for a bite and stumbled into this gem. This happened to be a soft opening. The cook tailored something to meet our vegan requirements that was out of this world. Fantastic start to our visit to Napa. Would go back in a minute.