“Un piacevole tour .... LOvely tour”

Del Dotto Vineyards & Winery
Ranked #11 of 186 things to do in Napa
Sarnico, Italy
9 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 59 helpful votes
“Un piacevole tour .... LOvely tour”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 20, 2014

I went to DelDotto Winery in April 2014 to taste some typical NApa's wines .

We pay 50 dollars for wonderfull two hour trip in Del Dotto Familiy's Cave and we can taste several kinds od Wine...from a sweet White wine to a wonderfull Porto....in the middle a lots of flavours from vanilla to chocolate inside a good Sangiovese, Cabernet and Pinot.

I strongly entrust this place

• Hebrew first
Wyckoff, New Jersey
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 6 helpful votes
“Cool Caves”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 11, 2014 credit card Amex Card Member Review

The cave experience at Del Dotto Napa is really cool. you get to taste plenty of different wines and some dried meats and cheese. the caves are great but I was disappointed to learn that the caves are rented space for the vineyard. good tour and plenty of charm though

Anchorage, Alaska
13 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 13 helpful votes
“Pretentious, OK wines”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 9, 2014

I didn't do the cave tour, just the tasting. We went to their newer location not the original. It was fairly pretentious and I didn't care for the wines. A $30 tasting fee, not waived if you purchased or not, seemed a bit on the side of ridiculous. The wine was expensive, and not great. They did have cheese with the wine which was very good The building is very "expensive" and the grounds are beautiful though. I also did tastings at Clos du Val and Stag's Leap Wine Cellars, and purchased wine from both of them. I enjoyed both of those tastings more.

Woodside, California
9 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 8 helpful votes
“It feels like a scam, and it probably is.”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 11, 2014

This is in regards to the cave tour. Without knowing anything about the winery I went with a friend. We both love wine and have been to over 100 wineries around the world. To get some things out of the way, yes, the winery is very nice, the guides are very nice, the tour is informative (I actually learned something, which pleasantly surprised me) and the wine is pretty good as well.

Now the bad:

Do you see in almost every review how much they had to drink? The "cave tour" consists of tasting a lot of wine. So much that you are pretty buzzed by the end of the tour. (Of course for many visitors to Napa that is their goal.) I think they are just trying to loosen up your wallet.

The big sales pitch is that the barrel you are tasting is the wine you buy. They actually tell you that they individually print your wine labels with the barrel number on them. Even if this is true, and I have heard from two separate sources that use to work there that it isn't, it feels like BS. I know that the big thing in California (and U.S) wine is to try to make wine seem exclusive. You can narrow wines down from Appellation to Mountain to Vineyard to vineyard block, etc.... All to increase price by making the wine more exclusive. (I always laugh at this as the French First Growths, which are blends, sell for many times the most expensive CA wines) I guess if you have a big ego, and are trying to buy status, this offers a good story. Personally, this felt kind of slimy and made me uneasy.

The final word is this winery is hard to explain. The tour is very expensive at $60, but you try a lot of wine. If you have a good guide you are entertained and learn something. To me it just felt like all the bad stereotypes of snobby wine drinkers rolled up into one tour. Wine can be pretentious enough and Del Dotto takes it up a notch (or 10). Just not my style. There are too many great Napa wineries to visit to put up with Del Dottos schtick.

Visited August 2013
3 Thank LVShowman
Williamsburg, Virginia
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 24 helpful votes
“Good juice, personable guide”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 2, 2014

Beautiful winery, some very nice wines and their Pinot "Rocks." That being said, the $60 fee is excessive and not refundable when you buy a case is despicable.
Advice, read the rating online and buy where you get a better price.

Visited February 2014