“Great Visit”

Del Dotto Vineyards & Winery
Ranked #13 of 193 things to do in Napa
Reviewed October 9, 2012

This winery does barrel tastings - which was both fascinating, and delicious. The tasting was very generous in terms of time spent and amount of tastings offered. Go preferably in the afternoon, and then plan a nap immediately thereafter!

There are newer reviews for Del Dotto Vineyards & Winery

Reviewed October 8, 2012

Everething was quality: grounds, wines, organization. Tasting starts with several wines and at the end you get some cheeses, sausage and chocolate to finish off your tour. I would come back again. Recommended tour in Napa.

Reviewed October 3, 2012

Oh my goodness! If your going to be in Napa you must make time to go to this winery. I fell in love from the moment I walked in. Not only is the winery one of the most beautiful I have seen, but more importantly the wine is amazing. Our tour guide Steve was great! The staff was great! One of the things I liked most was the fact that unlike other wineries where they all tell you what your supposed to be tasting in the wine, Steve allowed us to draw our own conclusion of what we were or were not tasting in the wine. Wine is a VERY personal thing and no two people will have the same opinion or taste buds. At no point did anyone try to pressure a sale, but I could not resist buying everything I tasted. That brings me to my final accolade. Many wineries have 1 or 2 good wines. These guys were consistent and all their wines where at least good to great and ending with amazing!

Reviewed October 2, 2012

We did a cave tour at Del Dotto and had a great time! The cave here is fairly small, but still interesting. The best part of the tour is that you got to taste the wines straight from the barrel. I found it very interesting that I was able to compare American Oak barreled wine to French Oak barreled wine side by side. It was a great tour, with great wine! I would definitely recommend a tour here.

Reviewed October 2, 2012

Definitely touristy, but I frequent and suggest this winery for a number of reasons:

1) This is a popular destination. Hugely. Normally, this might rub me the wrong way. In this case, I think it says something about the quality of the experience. It is definitely one of the most memorable experiences for a first time Napa visitor.

2) It is minutes north of downtown Napa, off the Silverado Trail, making the location incredibly convenient.

3) This the first Del Dotto location, featuring 1885 hand carved caves by Chinese immigrants. The history is unbelievable. The location is both low key, casual, and unpretentious. It's also fun. While the newer St Helena boasts "the most beautiful winery in Napa," this location wins out with history, which lifts the experience to something out - of - the - ordinary.

4) The visit is suitable for larger or more diverse parties, both beginning and expert wine explorers. Chances are high you will learn something new, regardless of how well you think you know wine. ^_^ Del Dotto offers an in-depth, educational, entertaining tour experience that will take your party through the historical caves and end in the tasting room. It is well over an hour long.

I think this is a 5-star experience for Napa newbies as it features: A - candle lit caves for wonderful ambiance, B - extremely generous pours (a Del Dotto signature it seems), C - several different tastings that change with every tour, D - straight from barrels made of varying woods that demonstrate how integral woods are to the taste of wine, E - knowledgeable and fun guides who have an answer to every odd question, F - small bites in the tasting room along with port (chocolates, cheeses, and meats that are decently paired).

The $50 admission may seem a bit steep, but you will finish feeling you got more than your "money's worth." Since you end with small snacks and port, you will undoubtedly leave feeling satisfied. In fact, chances are high that you may have had too much to drink...

-----

The tasting room without the tour is $30. Go to Del Dotto ONLY if you plan on enjoying the tour, as it is the tour that sets this location apart from others and the tasting room experience on its own is standard at best.

Del Dotto is NOT suitable for families with children, as they are not allowed in the tour.

Tours are by "reservation only" (by phone or online). If your party is small (6 people or less), you can indeed make your reservation the day of, given a few hours notice. But during the busy season, you should make your reservation at least 48 hours in advance as the tours fill up quickly.

2  Thank Hilleliza