“Awful customer service, rooms ok”
Review of Vino Bello Resort

Vino Bello Resort
Ranked #20 of 30 Hotels in Napa
Reviewed August 5, 2007

I don't usually write scathing reviews concerning hotel stays, but when your stay is worse than your overall impression based on price and location, there's reason for complaint.

Bad experiences:

- unfriendly, unconcerned attitude from front desk people (probably due to a lack of training on the part of the management, but common sense would be to make the customer believe you are actually interested in helping them instead of being indifferent). No professionalism, whatsover.

- no offer for compensation after we complained about not being able to sleep the first night with the air conditioning not being able to turn off. The front desk responded that there was no way to help us since the service personnel was not available at the time. The front desk did not make a note of the problem so it could be fixed, instead we had to complain the next day.

- a lack of communication between front desk and service personnel. (Having to visit the front desk twice, at 10 am and 5 pm to check on service to a malfunctioning air conditioning system that wasn't even begun until we requested the manager at 5 pm to take care of this, is unacceptable for a hotel). Their response was to shut off the air conditioning unit completely without letting us know what was happening. Is the customer supposed to perform investigations to find out what's going? I don't think so. The hotel should be notifying any guest about updates when something is wrong with their room. The next night the room was stuffy, and we had to sleep with the sliding door cracked open.

This place seems to not care about investing in good training for any of the people who work here ( I can not speak for the restaurant or bar since I didn't experience them). They give the impression that they are only concerned in selling their time share condos. It would serve them well to change this impression if they want any repeat stays from anyone.

I would never suggest this place to any of my friends or family. it's best to stay somewhere else that has a better location (not near a highway, power lines, and a satellite station, their website photos are misleading), better customer service, and better price/value.

• Stayed: August 2007, traveled on business
5  Thank sy123
jruperto, Manager at Vino Bello Resort, responded to this reviewResponded August 21, 2007

I apologize for the number of issues that were experinced during your holiday in Napa. the details of your stay have been addressed with the areas of the hotel that were pointed out. I thank you for your valuable feedback! If you choose to return to the Napa area in the future and you choose to stay with us again, please contact the email listed below so I can ensure your stay goes more smoothly!

Regards,
Jose Ruperto
jruperto@themeritageresort.com

Reviewed August 5, 2007

Positive :new clean rooms, nice pool area.

Negative: we had 3 rooms only one had working A/C. The A/C was not fixed during our stay of 3 nights. The one room with the A/C had a plastic cup to collect the condensation placed on the washing machine and the water dripping sound was real chineese tortue.

Our complains were addressed by telling us that there is nobody to fix this and later they went to buy the part etc. Also we should contact hotels.com since that where we did our reservation.

Front desk had nice but very inexperienced and untrained staff. The hotel is located next to / part of an office/industrial park on one side, highway and satelite dish farm on the other so this is not a very romantic location.

Parking space is also an issue and many cars are parked outside of the property.

Sound proofing is minimal, you can hear somebody walking above your room, so if you go take the top floor.

In conclusion if we had paid $70 a night it would be ok. We spent around $3,000.00 for our stay, you will be the judge if it was worthed and if we should come back.

• Stayed: August 2007, traveled with family
3  Thank emis

Please accept my apology for the room issues that were experienced during your stay. I truly appreciate your valuable feedback and will be addressing your service concerns with our staff immediately. If travelling back to tha Napa area, please contact the Email below so I may ensure your stay goes smoothly. Regards,

Jose Ruperto
jruperto@themeritageresort.com

Reviewed July 29, 2007

Stayed in a single bedroom (middle size of their three room options) for five nights. Visiting family in Napa, so some of the other criticisms about the distance from Wine Country were a bit moot. That said, people, consult an invention known as a 'Map.' Should be clear that you're not on Mondavi, Beringer, Sattui's doorstep from this place. But you are in a very close distance to Artessa, Domaine, etc.

Had a 3rd floor. Only noise issue was the jacuzzi below us, which they ran at 11 PM, and it DID sound like it was in the room with us.

Other negatives: a lot of little stuff breaks (t.p. holder; detergent cover on washer; etc.). They struggle with little details (i.e., our key, too, stopped working on day three; we also were not checked in on time, and they tried to book us on the 1st floor, at that; had to call to request USA Today).

Never tried the restaurant, but little need to given the great kitchen and adequate dining options in Napa.

Very roomy, spacious; great balcony; very low-pressure time-share push; pool was terrific and always sparsely populated; easy highway access; clean; staff I dealt with was super. And at $206/night, well worth it--I'll stay here again assuming it isn't bought out.

• Stayed: July 2007, traveled as a couple
3  Thank tjibbs
Reviewed July 29, 2007

I read all of the reviews before booking my stay and although I was concerned about some of the complaints I felt that the rate I found (under $200/night for a "studio") was too good to pass up. While I found many of the complaints to be valid I do not feel that they are egregious enough to prevent me from giving this resort a positive review. I will address each of the complaints individually.

1. The resort is in an office park. This is true, however, one would not know you were in an office park while on the premises. While on resort grounds you cannot see any office buildings nor experience any office traffic; you only know you're in an office park by using one of the two street entrances to the resort. I stayed Monday through Friday and did not have any office park experience while there.

2. The resort is close to a highway. This also is true; the resort is nestled in the "crotch" of two main roads. However, while you can see the road from the parking lot you are not close enough to hear any traffic from the roads or let the existence of the road detract from the otherwise fine view of the fields.

3. The room keys stop working. Absolutely. On the third day our key cards mysteriously stopped working. Although I was on the lookout for this potential problem I neglected to tell my girlfriend who was greatly inconvenienced. She was carrying packages to our room (while I was stumbling around the wine cave) and she had to go to the main hotel building (The Meritage) in order to get new keys made. A bellhop blamed the inexperience of the front desk staff but I think there is a greater problem here since this is a complaint many of the reviewers had.

4. You can hear doors slamming. Dead on. This is perhaps the biggest complaint I have about this resort. While we did not hear noises from other rooms (voices, tv, sounds of intimacy, etc.) we constantly heard doors closing. This was very irritating - especially at night.

5. Inexperienced staff. I am unsure about this one. Although one staff member said it about other staff members (as I discussed above) I cannot definitively state that the staff is inexperienced. The only example of incompetence (not necessarily inexperience) was that after we ordered room service (one sandwich) they forgot we ever ordered it. When we called to see where the sandwich was they confessed and then delivered the sandwich promptly - and gratis.

6. Dearth of close parking. This is also true. One night we had to park on the other end of the resort as all of the spots immediately adjacent to the resort buildings were taken. As we are relatively young and healthy this did not pose much of a problem for us; just an inconvenience.

7. The resort is far from the city center and wineries. This is true. However, it's not like you walk from one attraction to another in Napa - you have to drive . Since you're driving anyway, an extra 3-5 minutes in the car won't kill you.

8. The concierge will try to sell you a timeshare. True. After speaking with the concierge for 10 minutes she invited us to a Shell Vacations pitch meeting with the enticement of coupons, etc. However, a quick "no, thank you" ended her endeavor. Interestingly, while at a SF Giants game a table of gentlemen from Shell Vacations offered us similar enticements - and even added a few free nights at the Vino Bello - if I were to go to their pitch.

I'll add a few last complaints before I address the virtues. The housekeeping staff is overly eager. The housekeepers try to access the room starting at 9AM and then keep coming back every 20-30 minutes either knocking first or just trying to enter with their keys. After this happened the first morning we made sure to hang the "do not disturb" sign on the door until we left the room in the morning. However, one morning when we decided to sleep in very late (it happens when you do many wine tastings the day before without availing yourself of the spit bucket) the sign did not dissuade the staff who repeatedly knocked on our door from early morning until we left in the early afternoon. The housekeepers lost out on a nice tip because of this. One last complaint is about checkout time. The reservation I made stated that checkout time was noon. The hotel literature in the room stated it was noon. A sign in the room said it was 11AM. On the morning of checkout I was told by the front desk that it was 11AM; although they graciously gave me a "late" checkout at 11:45AM. Reminding them that their own literature gave the time at noon did not give me that extra 15 minutes. Since I am a rebel I checked out at 11:50.

Now on to the good points. The rooms are very nice - nice bed and pillows, large bathroom, tub/shower easily accommodated my 6'3" frame, washer/dryer in every room and the rooms are just nicely appointed. Although I was hoping to get a free upgrade to a one bedroom suite (as did another reviewer) an Acura management outing that took up a large part of the resort seemed to put the kibosh on my hopes of getting a bigger room. The studio was fine - not huge but big enough - but it irked me that we were missing out on a jacuzzi tub in the bathroom. Oh well. When you check in there are free bottles of water, cans of soda and a bottle of white wine in the refrigerator. It was not until the last day that I realized that they replace the water and soda on a daily basis - I was stupidly buying my own bottled water and soft drinks when I could have had them for free all along. I am unsure if they replace the bottle of wine because I never drank it; but I doubt they do. The outdoor pool and hot tub are fine. The spa is just as expensive as any other hotel - so I didn't try it. The wine cave was nothing more than a bar - nothing fascinating there. The bartender was nice and told me that they expect the vines on the premises to start being productive in a few years. Meanwhile they serve wine from their house brand whose grapes come from other parts of California.

Overall, my experience at the Vino Bello resort was fine. It is not a resort that is a destination in and of itself but it is a perfectly nice place to lay your head and go for a quick dip when on a trip visiting wineries. If you can book this place in the area of $200/night you should not pass it up. I predict that in the future it will command much more per night.

• Stayed: June 2007, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
10  Thank Trapuh
Reviewed July 23, 2007

The resort is excellent. Very nice buildings, rooms are brand new and with very nice decoration, including bathroom. We have a studio, it was very big.
Swimming pool is excellent, especially for kids, they have some nice games there.
Location is not that bad as many reviews say. OK it is behind the highway, but not that close, we were not disturbed by any noise or proximity.
The black point is the restaurant, we had 3 breakfasts there, you need to wait for 30 minutes to get 2 pieces of toast and milk for our boy. We complained about that, but nothing from the staff excepted some excuse. I even asked if we had to go to the grocery store to buy the milk for my son's cereals after waiting 20 minutes.
Overall, I highly recommand to go sleep there, but bring your own breakfast and food!

Stayed: July 2007
2  Thank ZorglubWaterloo
Reviewed July 17, 2007

My husband and I just got back from spending 5 nights at Vino Bello in Napa for our 1st annversary. Vino Bello is part of a timeshare plan, but they also rent the condos (studios, one-bedrooms, and two-bedrooms) on a nightly busy (which is what we did).

Good Points: The condo itself. We stayed in a one-bedroom condo on the second floor. Very nice, spacious, new place. Full-sized kitchen with granite countertops, stainless appliances, dishes/glasses/pans, etc. Large bath with granite countertop, double sinks, large walk-in shower with tumbled marble/stone tile work on two walls and floor, seamless glass on remaining two walls, 5 showerheads (one large rain head and four pulsating bodysprays).

Jacuzzi bath tub in stone surround in bedroom (actually in kind of a dressing alcove in bedroom, between room and bathroom). 37" flat screen TV in living room and 26" flatscreen TV in bedroom. Large balcony with table and 4 chairs, plus small settee (we lucked out and got a second floor room overlooking the balcony - recommend 2nd floor over 3rd floor as 3rd floor balconies don't have a roof, and the sun can get pretty hot!

Bad Points: As mentioned in other reviews, service is definitely a problem. Checked in at 2:30 pm (check in time is 4:00 pm), told room would be expedited and we would be called on cell phone - finally went back to desk at 5:15 pm as never got a call. Turns out room had been ready since 3 pm but the lone front desk agent was too busy to call.

Food at Siena was just OK for lunch but highly disappointing for dinner. Because we travelled on our anniversary, I decided that we would be too tired to leave the resort for dinner. Since the dinner menu at Sienna looked good on the website, I booked a table through Open Table, indicating it was our first wedding anniversary. When we arrived at Siena for dinner, it was practically deserted. There was no acknowledgement of our anniversary (no congratulations, offer of dessert or whatever). We were disappointed to find that, rather than the menu posted on the resort's website, we were given the same menu as we were given earlier that day for lunch (while waiting for the room to be ready). My husband's food was just OK while my rotisserie chicken was terrible - very dry - and the tiramisu was also not good. We didn't go back at all the rest of the stay.

On third day, key cards didn't work - had to walk to front desk for new ones. On fourth day, I got locked out of room after going to the vending machine (again, key card didn't work) and there was no way to reach my husband (each set of two rooms has a little foyer with a locked foyer door to the hall - no doorbell from hall and no way for my husband to hear me knocking on the foyer door). I wandered throughout the building looking for a house phone to call my husband, but there aren't any. Just as I was about to give up and walk back to the front desk (in another building across the parking lot, at the Meritage Hotel), I tried knocking at the foyer door and luckily my husband had just stepped into the foyer in preparation for looking for me - I had been gone about 20 minutes on what should have been a 5 minute vending machine visit.

All in all, I would definitely stay there again - the condo was lovely (though perhaps they overdid the wine decor slightly) and spacious, and the rates were extremely reasonable for Napa. However, I would not eat in Siena again, and we will be checking our key cards constantly to make sure they are continuing to work!

• Stayed: July 2007, traveled as a couple
2  Thank luckylyn555
Reviewed July 16, 2007

My family spent two nights, beginning on July 4 with my bother and his family. This is our second stay here; the first being in Dec. 2006. We absolutely love this luxurious hotel and the one bedroom suite. The suite with its full kitchen and high end finishes, ample sized bathroom, luxuriously appointed bedroom, comfortable living room, and porch overlooking the pool area is perfect for our family of five. Having experienced the colder climate of Napa in December and our recent stay during July 4th, our family fully enjoyed the swimming pool, kiddies’ pool, kid’s water play area, and BBQ this time around a lot more. While the kids played at the pool, the wives were able to enjoy a pampered experience at the newly opened Terra Spa (built into the hillside as a cave).
We never ate at the restaurant located at the hotel because the wonderful kitchen allowed us to prepare our meals and presented a more comfortable experience for our kids. The best part is the large dining table and cushioned bench to accommodate our family, along with al fresco dining option on the patio.
Another great feature about the property is the vestibule off the main hallway door that connected the studio that my brother and his family stayed in. It allowed us to prop our respective doors open for free ingress and egress.

For the minus on this stay, since we had to utilize the AC this time around (as opposed to in Dec.) it was definitely on the loud side. It makes it a little hard to sleep when it kicks on at night.
Also, not sure if they were short staff due to the holiday or not, but there was trash overflowing at the BBQ area for over a day before I had to take my time to call housekeeping to come pick it up. In addition, the housekeeping service was very late in coming to clean our suite. When they did come around 5 PM, we were already back to our room and with my entire family in there, the housekeeping staff was a little disoriented and not able to clean as normal when the room is unoccupied.

Other small things, the washer and dryer are not the most user friendly, even with the abbreviated instructions posted on the units. No express check out from your room.

Overall our family really enjoys this place and as a local weekend getaway. Even though it's a relatively quick 50 minute drive from our home and in the middle of a business park, you feel like you’re truly at a resort and on vacation.

• Stayed: July 2007, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
3  Thank tangster