“Great Beef”

Dallas, Texas
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Great Beef”
Reviewed November 9, 2011

If you're in the mood for a tender cut of beef, Royal Oak serves a delicious filet mignon!

Visited November 2011

San Francisco, California
“Incredible and not to be missed”
Reviewed October 12, 2011

I really, REALLY cannot express enough how amazing an experience this was. Honestly, I expected very little.... Yelpers can on Silverado, the mansion and golf course provide an uber - old school country club vibe (which is totally okay, as it *is* a country club), and the view was, also.. sort of golf courty.

Whatever the case, it lowered the expectations enough... so that when I walked in having booked the wrong restaurant on property, I was sure I was going to get a hassle.

Here is what the maitre D said... "It is for our other venue, but if you are sure you are mistaken.. I will simply cancel it while we seat you."

I mean... not one moment of pretentiousness, arrogance, or stand offish behaviour like I am used to in some restaurants.

We sat at our table, and the server and backwaiter seemed like a pair of ballroom dancers that not only new the routine, but danced in deference to the other, constantly reading one another and anticipating each other's actions and needs. Sounds super lame, totally super true.

Anyhoo...

Food rocked. Everything was shared. I really, REALLY like their Onion Soup... it is funny, because at diner's I always get tuna melts and their chili/soup to really see what it's like, and have a little consistency in rating diners. At higher end joints, if they have it, "onion soup" takes the consistency prize....

And their Onion Soup was by far the best I have had in a long time. Yum. The portion wasn't overwhelming either. It was plenty big... just not stupid huge like I have seen.

You like that?

"STUPID HUGE"?!?!?

You want some more of that? Huh? You like that?

Let's go..... food listed!

the Beef Carpaccio was... perfect. But it was still, just... Beef Carpaccio. Doesn't get too exciting. Some homemade whole seed mustard sauce.

Ahi tartare three ways, For the life of me I cannot remember which ways... but they were lovely and all quite smashing. That is a cop out, I know, but suck it.

There was a salad in there.. a wedge that was totally perfect, less a salad dressing that seemed sort of... hidden ranch blue cheesy? Dunno, but it *was* delicious.

ALSO.. A table side Caeser. Did I spell that right?

They actually make.....the salad..... from scratch, at your table. It has got to be the best Caeser I have ever had. Not because it is fresh... but because it is fresh and REALLY good too. I hope you see how those are mutually exclusive, as they are.

The Filet Mignon was cooked medium rare, and it came out perhaps a shade too light, and we still agreed it was the best piece of filet mignon ever.. cooked perfectly for that piece of mignon. hahaha

Trust me. It is awesome.

Desert was a "Presidential" Chocolate gateau and ice cream. Ugh.

"Ugh" = full and all just totally rocked in gluttony and decadent gentle shaking of our overindulged stomachs.

Wine list was pretty good. Might not be too imaginative? I might be way off and shouldn't judge. But there are some tried and true bottles on there, and they did fine. Frog's Leap - and for the life of me cannot remember the year. I am an idiot.

(for the record. I pretty much write these things for myself. So, when another person inquires whether I enjoyed something... If I forget, I can look back and help me remember to see what I thought, if I can't remember to know now what I liked then)...

Visited December 2010
Charlotte, North Carolina
“poor service”
Reviewed October 8, 2011

We had a lovely table by the window overlooking the famous gardens...beautiful. My husband's steak was impeccably cooked. I ordered swordfish medium rare and it arrived well done. The server was gone before I cut into it. We honestly did not see another soul for 30 minutes to check on us. NO ONE! For that caliber of a restaurant and the price, I was shocked. After that time, another sever asked how things were and I informed them how well done the fish was. They offered to bring a rarer cut...seriously? After 30 minutes and my husband was done? No thanks. we got a 15 % discount...hardly a compensation for the price. Oh well...next time will go elsewhere.

• Visited October 2011
Oconomowoc, Wisconsin
“Excellent”
Reviewed October 6, 2011

Food and service was fantastic, prices were reasonable. We will be back.

• Visited October 2011
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Enjoyable but no catering to personal requests”
Reviewed July 8, 2011

Went to celebrate 50th birthday, despite informing them of the occasion no acknowledgement of the occasion...food good, service good but overall room for improvement