“Fantastic place to stay” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of The Meritage Resort and Spa

The Meritage Resort and Spa
Ranked #13 of 30 Hotels in Napa
wales
“Fantastic place to stay”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 31, 2013

We stayed at this resort on our honeymoon in July. We had booked an avaerage room as it was peak time of year and prices were quite expensive. I had informed them on booking (6 months in advance) that it was our honeymoon but thought nothing more of it. On check in, a friendly receptionist knew we were on our honeymoon and upgraded us to one of the new suites. It was fantastic!. After checking into our room the hotel sent a complimentary bottle of champagne with a congratulations card. What a lovely touch!.

The complex was exquisitely clean, light and airy. The pool side was very pleasant and if you managed to order your drinks at the outside bar as opposed to a waiter serving you at your lounger, you had free refills!! (good tip to remember). The bar staff were very friendly and keen to chat. The cafe area near the car park was a great place to pop for a croissant and coffee mid morning.They also have a sports bar with bowling alleys which were great fun.

The resort has a free bus transfer to Napa central which has fantastic places to eat and drink. They also give you a contact number to ring and they will pick you whenever you want.

The spa and wine tasting are located in a little cave/grotto. The spa was quite expensive and so did not venture there but the wine tasting was very enjoyable. The only negative point was they did not have enough staff and made judgements about whether you were worth while investing their time in. While we were there 2 members of staff were paying attention to an american couple who ended up not buying anything however we spent £100 on wine. Hey ho - should not judge a book by its cover!!

Overall a very thoughful modern complex. I would definitely stay there again.

Room Tip: Rooms overlooking the vines are peaceful
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
MeritageHotelManager, Manager at The Meritage Resort and Spa, responded to this review, June 9, 2013
Thank you for an outstanding review! We are pleased to hear how much you enjoyed your stay. We sincerely appreciate the time you took to provide your comments and feedback. The Crush Ultra Lounge is certainly fun, and unique and we are pleased you had fun bowling! Please join us next time in the Spa Terra, we are sure it is worth your time! We hope that you'll join us again soon, and we look forward to your return.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (470)
California Hot Springs, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 30, 2013

When i looked from the outside it looked like I was going into two heavy doors and was a bit skeptical. But upon entering I realized that I was in a cave!! This is means NO Cell PHONES, Ipad, Ipod, tablet etc.!!! yes!!! I didn't even get reception for my phone! This was just awesome because what I needed was to Rest and the quiet relaxing environment allowed us to do just that. The Meritage Resort and Spa is a wonderful place to relax and lay out by the pool with your girlfriends and catch up on each others lives. I'm very happy about my experience and I will be back. Oh and they gives discounts on your next visit!!! Thank you for a wonderful experience

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

MeritageHotelManager, Manager at The Meritage Resort and Spa, responded to this review, May 31, 2013
Thank you for a wonderful review! We are beyond thrilled to hear how much you and your girlfriends enjoyed your stay. We truly agree that the Meritage is a great place to unwind and forget about your daily stress momentarily. Next time try some wine tasting at the Trinitas Cellars, or a stroll through the vineyard. We hope that you'll continue to choose us whenever you visit the Napa area, and we look forward to your return!
Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 30, 2013

My only complaints are: 1. Maid service did not clean our room after our first night there. We had to call Guest Services at around 5:30 PM that day. Once we did that though, someone came to clean within 10 minutes. So problem addressed very promptly and to our satisfaction. 2. Concierge was helpful, and even booked dinner and lunch for us. Plus, was great at giving an overview of the entire valley, to help us plan our stay. However, was totally turned off by a pitch to attend a presentation for the next door vacation resort (assumed it was akin to time-sharing). Politely said no, but wonder how many others pulled in by lure of free breakfast (or lunch, I forget which).

Getting past those 2 items, our stay was great. Hotel is new, clean, and fun to stay in. Loved the view of the vineyard, and enjoyed the wine tasting in the cave. For us, the location was perfect. We liked the quiet atmosphere, and don't let others turn you off to the fact that it is at the south end of an industrial park. It's an upscale park, and the hotel blends into the environment perfectly.

2 Thank TomJohn4640
Thank you for an outstanding review! We apologize for any inconveniences you encountered, even if they were remedied in a timely manner. We are pleased to hear that the rest of your stay was enjoyable, and we appreciate your feedback. We hope that you'll join us for a game of bowling next time in our Crush Ultra Lounge, or a swim in the pool! We look forward to your return, and hope to see you soon!
Houston, Texas
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 30, 2013

So my wife and I stayed here 6 years ago and this time around recommended it to our group and we ended up staying here. Much to my dismay I was alittle disappointed this time around. As a whole, the resort is nice (has great amenities and a great sports bar which has bowling lanes and they have a wine tasting room in their spa area as well) but some of the rooms according to people in our group were not great. Our room had mold on the shower and the shower head kept leaking in the back of the head while it was on. Another couple in our group complained that they couldn’t get hot water. One couple complained that they received a handicap room. The rooms didn't even have safes in them which for this kind of place I was alittle shocked.

I was really disappointed with their management team at check in. We arrived at 2pm and there were no rooms available and they have guaranteed check in at 4pm. We had 5 couples in our group and my wife and I were the only ones who didn’t get a room until 4:30pm. What is the point of a freaking guaranteed check in when you can’t even honor that. They didn’t even comp me on anything. I was very happy for the people in our group to get their rooms before us but I was the one who did all the planning for this trip along with the resort reservations. If you are a fan of amenities than I would stay here otherwise if you value your room and service, I would look elsewhere. But that is just my opinion.

• 2 of 5 bubbles
4 Thank VASAMAN
Thank you for your review! We sincerely apologize for any inconveniences you encountered during your stay, especially during check in. We can assure you this is not the norm, and we take great pride in providing you with the highest quality guest service around! We hope to learn more about your experience so we can remedy the situation. Please contact the Front Office to provide more insights and hopefully come to a solution. We hope that you'll join us again soon, and we look forward to the opportunity to serve you again!
Kansas City, Missouri
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 30, 2013

We enjoyed our stay here, room overlooked vineyards. We did the cave tasting and it was nice. We ran into some people and challenged them to some bocce..had great fun. We ordered room service dinner and it was good. The room was quiet for us. We ordered breakfast sandwiches and coffee for the road the next morning..very filling. The hot tub that I was looking forward to using that night was frigid cold, called desk and they said they did not know...disappointed. But great location.

• 2 of 5 bubbles
4 Thank Catraveler2004
Thank you for your review! We are pleased to hear how much you enjoyed your stay. It sounds like you truly took advantage of the amenities we have to offer. We sincerely apologize about the jacuzzi, and will certainly look into this matter. We hope that you'll join us again so we can prove why we're worth a full 5 star review next time! We look forward to your return!
Las Vegas, Nevada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 29, 2013

Quickie review for all of you "get to the point" types: Book now and thank me later.

Still with me? Okay, now on to my full review...

I was invited by Medallia to attend their annual users conference known as Medallia Best Practices Forum. This year (2013) it took place during the week of May 13 and was held at The Meritage Resort and Spa. Although I was born in Fairfield, California, mere minutes away from Napa, I was raised in Southern California and never really got to experience Napa in all of its splendor. As such, the idea of spending a couple of days in wine country was an exciting one!

Before I get into my experience at the resort itself, I'd like to first comment on The Meritage's social presence. Several days ahead of my trip, I decided to tweet (@RadleyMedina) about how much I was looking forward to visiting The Meritage as a Medallia BPF attendee. The Meritage responded with an expression of excitement of their own. I then became a "follower" of theirs, their 4,000th follower, to be exact. They immediately celebrated my followership with a tweet. Companies, especially hospitality companies, generally handle social media in a very cold manner. Lots of advertising and promotion pushing, but never any real engagement. The Meritage demonstrated that they get the customer-facing side of social media. Kudos to them!

When I arrived at the resort, it was later in the day...a touch past 6:00pm, I believe. I was welcomed by very friendly Front Services personnel, and I was checked in by an equally friendly Front Desk Agent. The interactions were reminiscent of the interactions I've had at better-known luxury hotels. Very nice indeed. Queue to key, the entire registration process lasted just a few minutes. Before I knew it, I was on my way to my room.

And, boy, what a room it was! I was given a one-bedroom condo! It had a washer, dryer, full kitchen (full-sized refrigerator with freezer, microwave, fully stocked cupboards, a stovetop with over, etc.), dining room, living room, oversized bathroom, shower with five shower heads, a jacuzzi, and a terrace! I tweeted out, "My room @meritageresort is superb," and The Meritage responded with, "Great! We made sure you'd be setup nicely. Tweet some pics while you're w us!" I guess you can say it paid to the their 4,000th Twitter follower!

Every staff member I came into contact with was excellent. If given the opportunity, I'd hire every single staffer I met. That's how good they were.

At any rate, most of my time at The Meritage was spent at a conference activity of some kind. Our welcome reception was held inside an onsite cave that houses a wine bar and the resort's spa. It's a great space that's perfect for receptions. Our conference sessions were held in a couple of the ballrooms. A/V was always on point, and the resort's meetings team did a great job setting up the aesthetics of the conference. And the banquets team did a superb job of feeding us high-quality food throughout.

A highlight of the conference, at least for me, was a networking activity wherein we were able to cook the resort's Executive Chef. We learned how to properly cook saffron risotto and crepes, all while having a seemingly endless supply of wine on-hand.

All in all, I'd highly recommend The Meritage to anyone who plans on spending time in Napa. A great place brought to life by great staff!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for an outstanding review! We are elated to hear how much you enjoyed your stay. We sincerely appreciate the time you took to provide your comments and feedback. Your attention to detail will certainly give our future guests an understanding of our property and what the area has to offer. It sounds like your room, meeting accommodations and overall experience were top notch. We aim to provide the same quality service to each and every guest that enters our doors. We hope that you'll join us again, and we look forward to your return to the Meritage Resort & Spa!
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 29, 2013 via mobile

Got a testcation package - great value with dinner and breakfast included. Location not the best but really unless you are going to focus on one area of Napa there is no perfect location. Rooms are clean and everything is nicely done but it's large resort and can seem a bit commercialized.

• Stayed May 2013
1 Thank Stepchoiny
MeritageHotelManager, Manager at The Meritage Resort and Spa, responded to this review, May 30, 2013
Thank you for your review! We are pleased to hear how much you enjoyed your stay. Our location is centrally located to many different areas of wine country, and we are happy that you took advantage of it! We hope that you'll join us again soon for a dip in our pool or a bite at the Siena Restaurant. We look forward to seeing you soon!
Also consider these accommodations in or near Napa
The Westin Verasa Napa
River Terrace Inn, A Noble House Hotel
Hotel Yountville
Hotel Yountville
#2 of 6 in Yountville

Been to The Meritage Resort and Spa? Share your experiences!