“Wine, food & bowling”

San Francisco
“Wine, food & bowling”
Reviewed May 19, 2012 via mobile

Service is wonderful.
- front desk was very welcoming
- management was around at their bar & bowling area called Crush checking in with guests to make sure we were having a nice time.

Location is ok.
- they have a shuttle that goes into town regularly (included in resort fee) so they already took care of this concern.

Rooms are nice.
- nice size balcony
- nice size room
- shower had no water pressure but another guest told me that they had the same issue but on their second night they realized they were doing something wrong. I have a feeling my shower was an operator issue too but I did not confirm.
- my room overlooked courtyard, 3 floors

Overall resort feedback:
- full gym with huge windows
- nice restaurant - Sienna
- great bar/ sports bar/ lounge area + bowling alley below, same building but seperated from bar so it's ok for families - Crush
- nice pool area. I think there's 2 pools but I only visited the main one.
- spa services and packages but I did not do this
- tons of outside space, chairs & fireplace to spend HOURS relaxing and enjoying the weather, wine and conversations.
- valet service available but lots of close parking
- hot air balloons right out front, "Balloons Above The Valley." I will be returning and doing this.

Overall, I really like this resort and will be returning. It is a great place and a surprisingly great value. Perfect weekend getaway spot.

2 thumbs up to the whole Meritage team.

• Stayed May 2012
Meritage01, General Manager at The Meritage Resort and Spa, responded to this review, May 21, 2012
I appreciate you choosing The Meritage Resort and Spa for your vacation in the Napa Valley. We are thrilled that you enjoyed your stay. We work hard to ensure that our guests receive the service they deserve. We want all of our guests to leave our resort with lasting memories of their trip to the Napa Valley. I love hearing that you were able to utilize all of the services we offer onsite and that you experienced the new expansion. We look forward to welcoming you back on your next visit to Napa.

(707) 251-1901

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (512)
Rancho Cucamonga, California
Reviewed May 19, 2012 via mobile

I liked what the hotel had to offer in terms of amenities. They had a small poll, fitness center, business center, free wifi, etc. But being a VIP member gets you no brownies for upgrades, special requests, etc. yo are a normal Joe who better take advantage of what they have to offer. and that is their knowledgeable staff. They were helpful in how to set up things, but they didn't help with keeping you connected. I.E. platform with how they do reservations is through OpenTable...well I'm familiar and connected enlighten me. They will not! They keep the points for themselves without telling customers. Other than that it was just okay! Nothing spectacular! I would recommend if yup are a business person but there is also aSpring Hill suites in the area.

• Stayed May 2012
Thank you for choosing The Meritage Resort and Spa for your hotel in the Napa Valley. I have read your feedback and am looking into the matters you discussed. I am glad to hear that you enjoyed our amenities and that our staff was knowledgeable and able to help you with your needs while staying at the resort.

We hope to welcome you back to The Meritage Resort and Spa on your next visit to the Napa Valley. Please reach out to me directly with any concerns you may have.

Plano,Tx
Reviewed May 18, 2012

My girlfriend and I stayed just stayed at the Meritage last weekend for two nights. The property itself is very nice and we definitely did not mind the location as the vineyards and downtown Napa were only 10 minutes away.
The first "bad" thing was when we got to our room (180) the first thing we notice was a portion of our mattress was wet (hopefully water but who knows). Second, the door handle from the room to the patio was broken so we were having a hard time getting outside. The room itself was just average and I suspect we had one of the worst rooms as we checked in around midnight.
The next morning we walked around the Meritage Vineyard which was actually very nice.
The rest of the day we spent driving around to other vineyards and when we got back to the hotel and headed out to the pool, there were no towels available and we had to wait an hour to get clean ones..by then we were ready to head in.
All of the employees we had contact with at the hotel were very nice, including the concierge who was very helpful getting our day started.
Overall, I would probably give this hotel another try if we go back out to Napa Valley.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you for choosing The Meritage Resort and Spa for your vacation in the Napa Valley. I have read your feedback and have addressed the mentioned issues. We appreciate hearing the details about your stay so we know how to better serve our guests. We strive for each and every guest to have a superior experience here at our resort and are sorry about the issues you experienced. I am pleased to hear that you enjoyed our location and facilities.

We look forward to welcoming you back during your next visit to the Napa Valley. Please reach out to me directly with any questions or concerns you may have.

Boston
Reviewed May 17, 2012

The hotel is beautiful but is in a very strange location between 2 highways. There is no way to walk to and from town, and it is a good 20 minutes away from any vineyards. You absolutely must have a car to stay here.

The actual room and facilities are nice. It is quite large, so it is best to stay towards the main reception desk.

The major downfall was the serious construction going on outside of our window for the entire stay. There was work being done from dawn to dusk each day as well as stairwells and doorways that were being repaired. It wasn't exactly the most peaceful or relaxing place.

The outside patio area and spa cave looked beautiful, I would be great if they could focus on this more.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
I am happy to hear that you chose The Meritage Resort and Spa for your destination in the Napa Valley. I have read your review and am sorry you were not pleased with our location. Thank you for your positive comments regarding our rooms and facilities; we work hard to keep our resort at the highest standards for our guests at all times.

The construction is finished and our expansion is now complete. Feel free to reach out to me directly with any questions or concerns you may have.

Vienna, Virginia
Reviewed May 16, 2012

This may be the only large-scale conference center facility in Napa Valley, so maybe I shouldn't gripe. But if your notion of visiting Napa is steeped in the 400 vineyards and the charming little towns, this is NOT a match. About a stone's throw from the highway (29), before you've even started into the valley proper, right away you're at an office park. (Really?) Yup, this is it. Drive through the office park and you arrive at the "resort" ... a polished and pristine complex ... hotel, conference center, condos, timeshares ... a self-contained oasis, perfect for someone who plans to sit by the pool and avail themselves of the resort facilities.

Certainly not what I was expecting. The web site pictures show a vineyard, the entrance to the cave, the grand entryway, and technically, they're all there. But this is NOT a grand estate at the end of a long driveway through miles and miles of vineyards. You have to drive around to the back to see the small vineyard. And that's where the cave entrance is too. When you actually do drive up into Napa Valley, you will see those grand estates with their amazing views and old school charm. This isn't one of them.

That said, the facility is very nice. Nice rooms, gracious check in, VERY helpful staff. Plus they've got a spa and a cave and a tasting room. They have free WiFi everywhere. It was kind of annoying that you can't park near your room and go in through a close entrance--you must go in through the main lobby--but that's a minor quibble. This place is definitely a high-end hotel.

Ironically, our room was VERY noisy--but not from the nearby highway at all. The banging and clanging were from the almost non-stop construction going on at the resort. Fortunately, the workers all went home at quitting time and the room was blissfully silent all night long. Absolutely nothing from the highway. So that was good.

By the way, the conference facilities were *great*. If you *are* running a conference, these folks know how to do it up right. All the big things were handled, and all the small things too: They had power under the tables, WiFi in all the meeting rooms, and their meals (especially breakfast) were exceptional. (When was the last time you went to a conference and the attendees were buzzing about how good the breakfast was?) Definitely one of the better conference centers I've been to in quite a while.

So there you have it ... nice facility and terrific service for what it is ... a great office park hotel and conference center. But if you're looking for a charming stay at a grand estate in the center of Napa Valley, this isn't it.

Hope this helps!

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
We appreciate you choosing The Meritage Resort and Spa for your stay in the Napa Valley. I have read your review and I am sorry to hear that the location was not what you were expecting. Thank you for your feedback on our rooms and staff. I am glad to hear that our staff went above and beyond for you.

I am happy to announce that the construction noise has ended and the expansion is complete. If you have any questions or concerns please feel free to reach out to me directly.

Michael Palmer, CHA
USA
Reviewed May 11, 2012

This is a great place to stay for wine touring in Napa. We actually stayed at the attached property Veno Bello in a great, spacious two bedroom condo. The service at the resort was impeccable and the rooms were wonderful

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends
Thank you for choosing the Vino Bello Resort for your stay in the Napa Valley. It always helps to hear when we do things right; it validates all of our hard work. We look forward to your return visit with us.

Michael Palmer, CHA
Meridian, Idaho
Reviewed May 10, 2012

This was our second stay here. The first was wonderful, in fact the hotel has published a snippet of my tripadvisor review on their website.
Check in was a breeze. I mentioned to the clerk that my review was on their website and he didn't seem to care. If it were my establishment I would be thanking that person as I'm sure there are people who book stays because of other traveler's reviews. Oh well.
We had a lovely room with a patio overlooking the pool and the back of the hotel. We were in the older section of the hotel as the newer section hasn't completely opened up yet.
There was a medical conference taking place and the service for the most part was devoted to that. We tried to get into the restaurant for dinner, but without a reservation were turned away. Even though I could count at least half the restaurant's tables were empty. Most of the staff was designated to the conference attendees. We ate in the lobby bar, served by Monica who was awesome. She was at warp speed serving all who entered with a cheerful smile. The food was okay.
The spa was fabulous and I will write it's own review.
The ice machine on the 2nd floor was broken, no sign, but found out when I called. Ice was promised within 10 minutes, but it took over 30. Our bathroom was not cleaned the next day and the one basin had a plugged drain. We were shorted on towels and the bed was haphazrdly made up. Since we didn't spend a lot of time in the room, I was willing to overlook this.
Service in the restaurant at breakfast the next day was not so good. We were ignored for 15 minutes after being seated. They did adjust our bill for the inconsistentcy, but it was hard to forget. When we received our bill upon check out, it was incorrect and void of a credit that we were due based upon the package we had booked. I have yet to see a corrected statement.
I will think twice about staying here again, but will certainly return to the spa.
I would appreciate the hotel removing my first review as I was not impressed with this visit. They ignore other guests when a conference is being held.

1 Thank PenguinLuver23
Thank you for choosing The Meritage Resort and Spa for your stay in the Napa Valley. I am happy to hear that our Front Office Manager has spoken to you regarding your review and that you will be returning to our resort.

Please reach out to me directly if I can do anything to make your stay more enjoyable.

(707) 251-1901
Also consider these accommodations in or near Napa
Andaz Napa
River Terrace Inn, A Noble House Hotel
Villagio Inn and Spa
Villagio Inn and Spa
#6 of 6 in Yountville

Been to The Meritage Resort and Spa? Share your experiences!