“Eat to Live Don't Live To Eat Here”
Review of Red Hen Cantina

Red Hen Cantina
Ranked #131 of 284 Restaurants in Napa
Cuisines: Mexican
Good for: Families with children, Large groups
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Late Night, Dinner, Full Bar, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Television, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: Wine Country Ave
San Diego, California
“Eat to Live Don't Live To Eat Here”
Reviewed August 5, 2014

Upon arrival the waitress told us how frustrated and annoyed she was because a large group of "old ladies" was taking up her section and we showed up with a party of 8. BTW this table of about 12 women was the only table in this section occupied until we got there.

She got 2 of our meals wrong and had to come back and ask us what we ordered. Ok fine it happens that you get overwhelmed but when you are overcharging (IMO) for mediocre food please don't let me hear about it. After all I just gave your business $150.

The food here is average nothing stands out. Lots of beans and rice to take up space on the over sized plates.

Food was bland and not overly spicy.

I would try any other Mexican Restaurant but here.

Visited July 2014

Goiania, GO
“Didn't like... ”
Reviewed July 19, 2014 via mobile

Besides the great service, the food wasn't so good. We tried a fajita with a enchilada. The best was some tortilhas with salsa that they serve while you are waiting.

L.A.
“There is a reason why this rating is poor”
Reviewed July 12, 2014

recently tried to eat dinner at the Red Hen. Looked like a very good lively spot and was looking forward to Mexican cuisine, and had not eaten since breakfast that morning. Tried to check in at 7:30PM for a party of 2 and were seated inside. The hostess seated us and we waited for about 5 minutes for a server to appear. Then a server showed up and explained that the kitchen was shutting down for taking orders to work on the back log. I knew they appeared busy but found this a bit strange. I asked how long the wait would be and she said she was not sure. I asked her to check with the kitchen and off she went and I was able to hear the loud mouthed cook all the way to our table. He was upset with her for asking and said he had no clue. She returned sheepishly to our table and I told her no explanation was necessary as I heard the cook mouth off and chew her out all the way out to our table. I said it was not exceptable to wait for service without some idea of how long/how poor the service was going to be. She apoligized for the situation and I told her no worries, was not her fault but the cook or whoever made the crude remarks needed an attitude adjustment. I hope this reaches the GM and that cook is properly admonished for the poor attitude he has towards customers and his fellow staff members. Needless to say there will not be a second opportunity for this restaurant to serve me and I warn fellow travelers to be cautious about this restaurant. Event took place on 07/08/2014. @ 7:30PM

• Visited July 2014
Thank Steve-JL.a.
San Antonio, Texas
“Good food great margaritas”
Reviewed June 24, 2014

The food is good but the margaritas are what make this place great! Not only are the delicious and strong (make sure you have a designated driver. ). But they pay you a dollar for everyone you drink. Fun place to visit.

• Visited June 2014
Eugene, OR
“Good family restaurant”
Reviewed May 28, 2014

If your looking for true authentic Mexican food this isn't the place. This is more of a family friendly, Chevy's type of restaurant. They have a wonderful outdoor eating area with a fountain that I like. The food is just ok, but it's one of the few places in Napa that you can go to with loud kids and not worry.

Visited May 2014