“Long established restaurant still does it right”
Review of Red Hen Cantina

Red Hen Cantina
Ranked #145 of 286 Restaurants in Napa
Cuisines: Mexican
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: Wine Country Ave
Napa, California
“Long established restaurant still does it right”
Reviewed February 1, 2014

The Red Hen is an institution in Napa. We were pleased to find that our three different selections were of very good quality and of sufficient portions to match the slightly elevated "Napa" pricing. I was impressed with the over-the-top amount of carnitas in the burrito I ordered. Beers were very fresh. Service was attentive but meal delivery on this Friday night was a bit slow. The complimentary chips and salsa were outstanding and replenished upon demand.
Parking is adequate but requires entrance on the north end with exit only on the south.
Overall, a good experience for us three.

• Visited January 2014

Napa, California
“Average at best”
Reviewed January 7, 2014

This place use to be good a few years ago, now its ok to fair.
The service is ok sometimes but its hit or miss at best. The food not what it use to be at one time. There are better places to get mexican food in napa. The only thing we liked when we use to go there was the outdoor seating.

Visited May 2013
Tokyo, Japan
“much better than the overpriced places farther north”
Reviewed January 4, 2014

this place is good for what it does - simple mexican food at a good price. i had the mexican pizza (bit greasy but tasty) and my wife had the fajitas - also good. the service was mixed- the middle aged blondish lady who showed us to our table and gave the menus seemed bored and uninterested - but the guy who actually waited the table was helpful. the food was also reasonably priced - compared to the crap we saw in other napa cities.

• Visited December 2013
Godalming, United Kingdom
“Oh dear oh dear oh dear”
Reviewed December 27, 2013

I am not a huge fan of Mexican food which isnt a good start to visit a Red Hen but staying next door at the isolated hotel we had limited choice one night. Plastic chairs, filthy floor, napkins and rubbish everywhere. Poor food, luke warm and uninspiring. Good point was the young service staff who tried their best to make up for the really moderate experience this restaurant offers.

• Visited July 2013
Fortson, GA
“Truly dreadful food & service - almost the worst Mexican restaurant EVER! :(”
Reviewed December 15, 2013

On a rainy night in Napa 11/18, I decided to try a Mexican restaurant near my hotel without first consulting TA. Mistake!

I had dinner in the bar on an almost-empty Monday night with football on a large-screen TV, but even in the absence of many customers, service was SLOW & uninformative. I usually judge a Mexican restaurant - of which I've eaten at many, having lived in LA for 25 years - by their chili relleno and refried beans. Here they were soupy, largely tasteless, & truly dreadful. Draft IPA & a large selection of tequilas helped, but not much.

During the next week I spoke with some of the locals about the Red Hen & learned - belatedly - that it's held in low regard. Too bad I didn't ask first! :(

• Visited November 2013