“No place better.”

Ranked #20 of 202 things to do in Napa
Useful Information: Bathroom facilities
Useful Information: Bathroom facilities
Reviewed February 10, 2013

If you want to learn about wine, take the tour at Hendry wines. You won't regret it. If you just want a quick, simple sip and go, search elsewhere. This is going to take time and energy, but it's worth it. I haven't had a tour, tasting, or event that's better.

We learned things like why the same wine can taste horrible to one person and delightful to another, how important the seeds are to the taste of red wine, and how food can impact wine taste and vice versa. If those are questions of yours, take the tour.

If those aren't your questions, write your own, (For example, what wine to pair with my favorite dishes, how recent vintages compare, and why two wines of the same varieties from the same vintner can be so different in price?) and go take the tour. Or don't write anything down, and jut take the tour, you'll still learn a ton.

I haven't found a better wine learning experience.

The tour leader, for most tours anyway, is George Hendry himself. He's is a engineer - very analytical and scientific. But he also has a charming, grandfatherly way. So even for those people that aren't interested in learning about the tannin producing phenols that make me love red wine, his passion for wine and his ability to teach people about it will win them over.

We had eleven tastes of darn good wine and a three hour education. It didn't cost us anything as the tour is comped if you buy an equivalent amount of wine, which we happily did.

If you want to learn about wine, this is the place. No place better.

2  Thank DrDouglasRice

Reviewed November 26, 2012

Very detailed. Gives a different vantage point for your next winery. Wish I had gone here first. The people are here for their passion it seems.

Reviewed November 11, 2012

By far the best wine tour and tasting we have ever had! Not only was the tour of the vineyards and winery very interesting and informative, perhaps more importantly George used the tasting to instruct each of the participants about his/her own palate and which wines pair best with what foods. The cost of the tour and tasting is $40 per person, which, if like us you chose to buy wine, is applied to your purchase. Certainly a worthwhile way to spend an afternoon.

4  Thank smee33
Reviewed November 8, 2012

Very informative tour, excellent tasting, friendly staff. George is the man! Not the place to go if one is looking for a quick tasting.

1  Thank laurenmc82
Reviewed November 6, 2012

This isn't like most of the other vineyards I went to in Napa. It's a slow paced tour where you actually learn about wine, pairing it with food, properly tasting it, etc. The tour was interesting because Mr. Hendry discussed the business aspect of owning a vineyard and being profitable. He also explained wine production in great detail which I really appreciated. He varied the tour based on what we wanted to know about wine making. I can honestly say that I learned something on this tour.

During the tasting, he specifies that it's not a party. He really does stress the learning component which I liked a lot. I recommend this tour for anyone who wants a personable intimate approach to wine making and the Napa Valley.

I loved that the fee was waived with purchase of wine!

2  Thank eddiEEEgirl